Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help! My HT23 just died in the middle of my driveway.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 03:29 PM

I was clearing the driveway with the FEL. I got most of it done, but as I was dumping a load, the engine just quit. I checked spark and it looked OK. I checked compression and the right cylinder is about 115lbs, but the left side is only 30-40lbs. Ring? I haven't checked fuel yet, but I don't think that's it. How do I move this thing if I can't get it started? It's kind of in the way.

• MyBolens1053, chieffan and TrevoNiz have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 03:44 PM

To rule out a fuel issue have you tried a shot of carb cleaner down a plug hole or down the air cleaner intake?

If it was a ring issue  I dont think it would quit like that as the other side would keep it going.

• Toolfoole, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 03:49 PM

To rule out a fuel issue have you tried a shot of carb cleaner down a plug hole or down the air cleaner intake?

If it was a ring issue  I dont think it would quit like that as the other side would keep it going.

I'll give that a try, Doc. Thanks.

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:07 PM

valve stuck? Did it fire on carb cleaner?

#5 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:08 PM

I was clearing the driveway with the FEL. I got most of it done, but as I was dumping a load, the engine just quit. I checked spark and it looked OK. I checked compression and the right cylinder is about 115lbs, but the left side is only 30-40lbs. Ring? I haven't checked fuel yet, but I don't think that's it. How do I move this thing if I can't get it started? It's kind of in the way.

Sorry to here your luck at the moment. Sounds likes it's time to get a 1253 out to tow your HT-23 to the shop. Need to st the HT in free-wheeling mode, maybe a dolly under the FEL bucket and tow it backwards.

That compression test made me think of a post I read where the valve seat on an intake valve popped loose and wedged itself cock-eyed between the valve and the block. Not sure.

Good luck.

Edited by MyBolens1053, January 24, 2015 - 04:10 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, Toolfoole and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,346 Thanks
  • 1,756 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:10 PM

You should be able to put the Hi-Lo shifter lever in neutral and move it,DON'T let the bucket all the way down touching the ground,its gonna be a pain to move it in any case,lot of weight there,I don't like the sounds of only 30-40 psi on the left side,I'm thinking something internal going on,I agree if its getting fuel it should have run on one cylinder,I have had the HT-20's with broken rods and they still ran on one cylinder

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, January 24, 2015 - 04:38 PM.

• wilberj, Toolfoole, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:13 PM

The carb cleaner didn't work. I'm going out to get some dollies, just in case, and more carb cleaner. Is there a free-wheeling mode? How do I put it in free-wheeling mode?

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:23 PM

The carb cleaner didn't work. I'm going out to get some dollies, just in case, and more carb cleaner. Is there a free-wheeling mode? How do I put it in free-wheeling mode?

If you get no fire on carb cleaner you likely lost a valve seat or got a stuck valve.

• wilberj, blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:36 PM

Put the HI/Low lever under the seat in neutral. 

• blackjackjakexxix, Titus, Toolfoole and 1 other said thanks

#10 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 06:07 PM

I'd say you lost spark.
Pull both plugs and crank it over.
With plugs grounded you should see park.

Joe

#11 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 07:07 PM

I forgot all about being able to put the trans in neutral. I never had to free-wheel it before. I was able to tow it out of the way with the old '61 Land Rover. At least I didn't have to buy any wheel dollies. I had to spend an hour or so hand shoveling the rest of the driveway first, though so that I could jockey some cars around in order to park the tractor out of the way. I ran out of daylight, so I'll have to continue tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep you updated.

Edited by Toolfoole, January 24, 2015 - 07:09 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#12 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 08:41 PM

I would not keep trying to start it if the compression on the one side is that low may do more harm then good. Is all the screws that holds the air cleaner to the carb there? One may have come out and have a valve stuck somewhat open. If not pull the head from that side and see if the gasket is blown and take a look at the valves and piston. It should run on one cylinder so see if the coil is firing.

• MH81, blackjackjakexxix and Toolfoole have said thanks

#13 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Bob. I'll try to check all that out tomorrow, weather permitting. Unfortunately, it's sitting outside and it's only going to be in the 30's tomorrow and the FEL being mounted will complicate things. I guess I'll have to remove it. It would be difficult to get it into the garage, because it'll have to be pushed uphill. I'll try to think of some way to do that.

And, of course, there hasn't been much snow here for a while, but now there's a good chance of snow for the next few days. Sheesh! If it wasn't for bad luck...

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 09:58 PM

Do you have any other tractors you can use for snow removal till you get the HT23 going again? It sucks when they quit on you. Hopefully it is an easy fix. It does sound like there is an issue with the valves on the left side with the compression reading you got. I would think it would be trying to fire at least off the one cylinder like already mentioned. Definitely check for the top three things first, spark, fuel and air. If you have all of those then pop the head off on the left side and see what is going on.

#15 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 230 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 10:40 PM

I do have a couple of 1253's. One was bought when I went to buy a deck and ended up buying the tractor, too. I've stolen a few parts off of it, but I plan to restore it someday. The other 1253 my dad bought new during the Winter of 1970 and it runs, but is starting to smoke. I had replaced the original engine after the original seized. I still have the original engine which I got to turn and I have a rebuild kit for it (another future project). I also have another engine that I could put in, if necessary. I might spend time tomorrow getting the 1253 set up for snow rather than working on the HT23, 'cuz it's cold and I'm old. :D  At least the 1253 is in the shed.

Since the engine is tired in the 1253, which do you guys think would be easier on it for snow, the blade or the thrower? :anyone:

The way my luck has been going, I might end up with two broken down tractors. :wallbanging:

• NUTNDUN and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks