15 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 03:51 PM

A gentleman on Electrak.org has done a very nice job of explaining serial number designations. One of the common misperceptions about GE ending their direct marketing efforts is that any leftover stock in dec 1973 was destroyed. Dealers in good standing had the option of signing on for New Idea dealerships and selling Even Ge units under N.I. until supply resumed.. And some dealers would make the purchase themselves and sell later with warranty still being honored. So serial numbers JS....... KS..... may have been sold later after GE ended direct marketing.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 07:31 PM

Nice, so the question is, what is the E20 I am getting off of you serialed as, I know you said it was like October '73 (too lazy to read the PM right now).

#3 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Still KS 11 817 which is oct 11 1973 final assembly and ready for delivery. Model number 26AE20FA. Considering the decision for recall was made in november 1973 It was alful tight delivery schedule to make it to dealer. I thought I had pic in my computer files of Electracs headed back to N.Y. on dec 1 1973 but Idont. I have it in history book of the REYNOLDS dealership. I have spent three years considering the validity of this info. I will take the word of someone whose credentials are known. Fred.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 09:32 PM

Ok, ya, some books writers are people that are detached from the idea they are getting across, and consequently draw their own conclusions. I would bet that those were being delivered, not sent back though.

#5 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 10:34 PM

F&PShow1969.jpg Pic of Electrak being demonstrated March 1969 before decision to mass produce. Indianapolis Ind. I would have loved to post this two years ago but I waited to verify no misunderstanding. The man was employed by Reynolds. The tractor was allowed to demo-ed inside . The fossil fuelers had to be outside. Reynolds made plastic blades for the tilt-up deck demo. What do you think,Casey? Did this help convince GE they had a market? Fred

Edited by Sparky, March 05, 2011 - 10:43 PM.
Add more info

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 10:50 PM

So they got to try out the mowing feature on the carpeting in the show room? lol I think that is a market lol. I like it myself.

#7 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 07:54 AM

To further my thought on the demise of the Elec-trak name in 1973 , EtnaInst on Electrak.org compiled some serial/model numbers that extended to April 1974. The model numbers sometimes included an R . Well warranties and the emergance of lemon laws would say either reconditioning or replacement was happening. Employee purchase offer could explain some units late in Elec-trak history. Or just delay in getting New Idea paint jobs to happen. New Idea paint over yellow is common. I have exchanged E-mails with Larry Chace and we both wanted this on Electrak.org. My mistake was reaching for more info that apparently will never be offered. Now-- for the actual serial numbers of 1969 which we know exist but just not in what form. If anybody can find one that does not conform to the list compiled it may be a BINGO! Fred

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 01:36 PM

That's interesting information Fred. The best we can hope for in the hobby is to get tidbits of information to help us better understand the history of our tractors.

#9 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 01:49 PM

Mr Reynolds was contacted by two members of design/management team, one of whom is featured in the Popular Mechanics 1970 article on this site. Mentioning his name in print may or may not cause trouble so I will not do it.

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 04:59 PM

Sparky, sounds like you have done quite a bit of research.

How many Elec Traks and other related accessories do you have?

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 05:15 PM

Sparky, sounds like you have done quite a bit of research.

How many Elec Traks and other related accessories do you have?

Mention if that includes the E20 you are selling me or not lol.

#12 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 09:42 PM

So do you guys want the pic of a flail mower which I built but apparently not offered first time around ---early 70's? I am not quite ready with my showroom and its still too cold out -- few more days. Another thread most likely. As for the research it was a very fortunute find of one of the first officially recruited dealers. Makes up for lack of any official info and shows how market testing followed prototyping. I am not the one going on a limb saying these things. It was already done 42 years ago. Mr Reynolds wanted to study Aerospace Engineering at Purdue where Neil Armstrong did. He switched to Industrial Management instead at Purdue.

#13 Medievalist OFFLINE  

Medievalist
  • Member No: 9128
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 21, 2012 - 04:41 PM

So do you guys want the pic of a flail mower which I built but apparently not offered first time around ---early 70's?

Yes! Yes!

#14 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 08:34 PM

e-trak 9.jpg The beast
  • DH1 said thank you

#15 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 08:40 PM

e-trak 9.jpg The beast

Sparky you need to start a separate thread for this thing.
How wide is it?
Do you use the stab mounts to mount it, front or rear?