kohler 321 govner spring postions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bill3t OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57907
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 12:26 PM

got my engine reinstalled and running. govner wont stay still not sure what the original spring holes were at. book says centered on govner. then right side book didnt say. right side has 4 hole positions. ben playing around and havnt figure it out yet. will look on here for others photos. thanks bill

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 01:42 PM

Bill, I usually set mine 3 hole from the bottom on the governor arm and then in the top hole of the throttle wire connecting bracket.  That is the best setting for tractors.  You can put it in the second hole from the top, too, on the throttle wire bracket, doesn't make that much difference, and a lot came from the factory that way.   

This is the best reference picture I have seen of a beautiful Cub Cadet engine with the right adjustments. 

If it idles will but will not stop surging at high RPM and the governor is right, dress your points with a small file and the problem will go away.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, IamSherwood, CRFarnsworth and 4 others have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,468 Thanks
  • 6,354 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 01:01 PM

Mine is like that too. Idles fine, but start to move throttle and it wants to go fast real quick and don't pull down well. Yet if you "feather" it, you can get a usable setting, but won't stay while using. I'm going to have to look at this on mine now. Maybe just a new spring would be start?  I know the diff linkages can make diffs too. My PK has that first link, but is farther out on the blower housing. And Think I have heavier rod to the gov or somewhere in system, can't recall for sure now. Seems each tractor maker has a diff throttle system and links, kinda makes it hard to compare. We'll try this spring.

• superaben and bill3t have said thanks

#4 bill3t OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57907
  • 44 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 07:06 PM

going to try the points file and small adjustments tomarro thanks .bill