9 replies to this topic

#1 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 09:54 AM

1st snow storm of the year. We had wet snow, but only an inch or two max. Down hill was not an issue, I went over to my neighbors to help them with their driveway, which is stone, and it was a complete nightmare. 

The first stone I would hit with the snowplow, would bring the GT to a complete stop, so I'd stop and put it in N, then raise the plow and try to just skim the surface to avoid the rocks. Well, it wasn't having any of that.

When putting it in Fwd, 1st click was fine, 2nd click Fwd, it would hesitate moving then move, and 3rd click, it would not do anything, then launch (after a few moments) Fwd then stop. I kept it in 2nd click fwd the rest of the way home, going up the driveway, it would just continue to rapidly click, it sounded like a solenoid, just clicking rapidly away.

Obviously this isn't normal. Now, sadly, I don't trust this machine and my Case 444 took over the snowplowing job.

Anyone else experience anything like this before? One stone that's frozen to the ground would bring this machine to a complete halt?

• T Guiles, CharlesDes and jenniferre60 have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 10:33 AM

I too have a rock drive out to a rock road.  I haven't used the plow yet but I did lower the shoes so the blade would ride an inch or more above the drive.  I did the same with the thrower. I have a BCS also with blade and thrower and I learned from that machine you don't put the blade to the ground.  Leave an inch or more for seed and the rocks stay on the drive.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 11:09 AM

I'd be checking all electrical connections.

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 11:40 AM

Peter I find with mine, it does funny things when the batteries are low. I am sure you have them charge up.....just my observation. I had a bad contact on the shifter and my memory is it was making noises like what you are describing. The gurus will arrive soon who know way more than me.....be interested to hear what they have to say.

#5 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 11:44 AM

I knew the storm was coming, so I charged them all overnight. Scott, you sure picked a good week last week, as we have 4 inches of wet, icy, snow. I plan on opening up the belly under the steering wheel shortly.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 11:53 AM

When you hit a rock dead on with internal combustion , you are testing the condition of your piston rings , valves , crankshaft rod connections , ignition parts , fuel quality , spark plug fouling , carb settings , throttle settings , more . etc .

I haven't used gas or diesel to plow my driveway in years , somehow it gets done .

Just takes practice with these old machines . Good luck .

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 12:10 PM

I would say first check Batteries are good and charged up, when voltage drops too low the relays, contactors start to click, drop out, they stop working because not enough voltage to activate them. This has happened to me when cutting grass and the batteries are low on charge, contactors start clicking and tractor doesn't work right until battery voltage goes back up.

When you plow snow and hit a rock or something, more load on the motor, more amps are drawn, battery voltage drops and if low enough the contactors stop working.

If the batteries are good and up on charge them must be contactors or wire connections not good enough some where.

Hope this helps, my 2cents.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 12:29 PM

The batteries should be fine. My gut is telling me not to trust this charger, as I leave on it and I've never for the 6 months I've owned it, heard it turn off. I do not let it run past 8 hours, I'll then shut it off. 

I'm going to load test, then discharge these batteries to confirm they are good. I am still going to open up under the steering column to see if anything is in fact loose.

#9 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 01:20 PM

Opened up and found nothing out of the ordinary. Solenoids looked fine, no signs of heat or melting. I'm going to use my Ezgo charger on this, after I discharge the batteries, and go from there.

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 01:28 PM

The sudden stop could cause a large flow of electricity through the control and burn its contacts a bit. Check the resistance of the various components/solenoids. Most times you can disassemble the old type components and polish the contacts. I just did an old voltage regulator yesterday. Good Luck, Rick