#1 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,494 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 08:08 AM

Anyone have outdoor cameras and DVR's?  I need to add a few to our new home due to some un-welcome guests recently after dark i.e. someone was in my Son's Bronco the other night. 

Anyway, WOW, there is so much info and so many options out there and prices all over the map. 

I am looking into 4 or 5 IR outdoor cameras, wired, and a 1 or 2 Tig 8 channel DVR . I may get a package, but like the ability to just buy separate and customize my own system.

I've been watching youtube videos on cameras and there is a large range too as far as quality and ease of use. Just so many choices. 

Soo,  any advice from you all? 

• tinbender7 and T Guiles have said thanks

#2 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 08:25 AM

Do you monitor this yourself, or is it a service those always concern me I picture the person sleeping at the switch while my home is being robbed at 3 am you know I've  fallen and I... is still laying there pushing the button

• tinbender7 and TAHOE have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 08:32 AM

Been years since i was around this stuff, but Don't cheap on the cameras. The range of most of them are exaggerated in nite mode and the cheaper ones seem to be the biggest culprits.
  • tinbender7, TAHOE and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 09:13 AM

Alan is right , Don't go cheap on the cameras .  the new cameras they put in stores now a days o my god . they "the cameras" can see stuff like the red tag on the levies pants from a 100 feet away . But ask your self what am i protecting, is it worth the cost? Or stick with a 12 ga buck shot . In the air....!!!!!!!!!!!

• TAHOE and Bill 76 have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 09:48 AM

doberman_pinscher.jpg  then wm_md_7120428.jpg

• TheFarm2004, Cvans, TAHOE and 2 others have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 10:28 AM

Harbor Freight and others offer systems with wireless cams and you can get many in a kit.  I have motion sensor lights all over at my place and think those are best. You Could put up Fake cams, make sure they have a light on them to look on. Still think the auto-lites are best bet, with good spots in them or halogen. Spot bulbs getting hard to find and expensive, get the halogen. You can LOCK  the vehicles also.  Get in that habit.

• TAHOE and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#7 Mark K OFFLINE  

Mark K
  • Member No: 32947
  • 118 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 11:05 AM

Your going to have to do your homework on this one. I know a guy who uses deer cameras for security.

• TAHOE and Bill 76 have said thanks

#8 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 11:22 AM

I have a Swann 8 channel DVR with 7 cameras. When picking cameras, try to get the latest models. Cameras have improved greatly in the last few years. My 5 year old Swann cams are not nearly as clear as the new ones I bought.

• Cat385B, TAHOE and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 12:05 PM

It's just sad that you have to watch your stuff on your property these days.

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,494 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 12:08 PM

Thanks .

I have 4 dogs, but doesn't help when they are snoring in the kitchen  :hitting_self_roller:

I also have some bang bang home protection, but doesn't help when I am snoring in the bed  :watch_over_fence:

Living in the country, well kind of, we have never really locked doors. I used to leave the keys hang in the ignition so that is becoming a practice now. Now that we moved in with my mom, her house is next to a public bike trail, the drive is only 30 feet from the path through the brush so vehicles can be an easy target, especially since they way garage and drive faces the res of the house, there is no line of sight. We do have a motion sensor light that works pretty well, but obviously it just let whomever have more light to see in the Bronco.

I am not worrying too much about real time monitoring, if it happens it happens, I want to be able to ID the perp.

We also have an estrange nephew who sometimes makes his presence know, if he does something I want a video record.  :watching_you:

I have done the research a little on cameras, as I and you have stated, there is good and bad quality so I have a lot more to look at. Seems a lot of IR night vision cannot read license plates unless there is an extra light near the plate. The IR makes the plate reflective. 

Would be nice to have a wireless back at the barn too for unwanted to critters or to see what's stealing my eggs  :flipping_flapjacks:

• Chopperhed, Bill 76 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 12:35 PM

Wireless ranges tend to be exagerated also.
Nothing beats a wire

The barn might be a good place to set up a trail cam?
  • Chopperhed and TAHOE have said thanks

#12 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 12:35 PM

Marty,
My son has a 4 channel system set up in his computer store and it works pretty well. I think it was like a Zmodo brand or something like that. I think it was around $150.00 and he had to add his own hard drive and monitor to it. But like he says, You get to "watch people steal your stuff". Didn't help him much as they all wore masks etc. Knocked out his front window and 3 of them were in and out in about 90 secs. Got about 5 grand worth of laptops and I Pads ect. Hope you have better luck with your system. Let me know if we can be any help with it.

Here is a still shot from his system.

breakin.jpg

Edited by Jack, January 24, 2015 - 12:37 PM.

• Chopperhed and TAHOE have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 06:20 PM

Don't skimp on video quality. It's no good to have a picture of the thief if you can't see his face.
  • Chopperhed, TAHOE and Jazz have said thanks

#14 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 03:03 PM

Here is my security crew, although they are more for keeping animals away. We don't have any trouble with people steeling anything.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4413.JPG

• TAHOE said thank you

#15 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 05:19 PM

Just don't buy the Wal-mart security sasquach cameras. There is a brand new store up the road and I swear they installed potatoes for cameras. Every time a picture is in the paper of a thief they need help identifying I can't tell if it is a man woman. or martian.

• TAHOE said thank you