4 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 02:02 PM

Whil this is a ways off, the wife wants an outdoor kitchen with masonry grill and pizza oven. Anyone have them and what do you reccomend?

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 10:50 AM

We built one when I was a kid...just the grille, not the pizza oven. I was 12 or 13 when we did this, so keep that in mind...memory gets a little fuzzy over 30+ years.

First we collected bricks from the Indian Agency. The land had been leased from us at some point in the past because we were between two reserves, and when the government gave up the lease, they left the building there, like they were doing him a favour or something. Anyway, we collected the bricks and hauled them back to the city. This was the hardest part of the job and you should get bricks delivered if you can.

We put down a solid six inch base of crushed rock (1/4 down lime). Then we placed a concrete base on top of that. I know we did something to attach the first course of bricks to the concrete, but I can't remember what. Rebar set in the concrete maybe?

Anyway, after that it was just a matter of laying one row of bricks on top of another...brick, mortar, brick. We used string lines to keep things level and worked our way all the way around the rectangle for each course. When we reached the prescribed height we filled the structure with sand and gravel (that's from a pit on the farm too...concrete aggregate really. I was shovel boy).

Once the base was filled, we put two layers of brick over the gravel base (unmortared to allow water to drain down) and built a rim out of bricks for the grille to sit on.

With that done we built the top. We stepped the bricks over about 1/4 or 1/3 on each course to form a pyramid on the sides. The back went straight up. We used strips of plywood to support the courses until we reached the top where they joined. When the mortar set, they became self-supporting and we removed the plywood. We left a hole and built a little chimney on it for the final step.

I know my father was learning while he went on this. He'd never laid brick before and was working out of a book.

I had a chance to go back to that house about 15 years later (we'd moved out long before), and the grille was still in use, so we must have gotten something right.

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 01:28 PM

Your memory is much like mine, though I think I was much younger when Dad built one. I remember going to the dump in Dad's 3 wheel Harley and loading bricks into it.
Hauling them home and I know I mixed several ton of mud in a mudboat with a hoe. There must have been about a million since he not only built the grill but laid up a 20 X 24 Patio with a 3 ft brick wall around it and built a garage from all those bricks.

Dad's 83 and still won't sloww down, I may have to get him out to the house and have him teach me to lay brick for this project?
If the wife can't find the money to pay her nephew who is a Mason to do it for her.

It may come down to choices, I want Jake to lay up block for a root Cellar in the next year or so ?

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 08:33 PM

One thing...mortar/cement mixers are cheap now. No need to mix in a wheelbarrow or mudboat with a hoe.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Was looking for plans for something else & found these. Might be worth a look...
There are 4 different plans on 2 pages, so not overly detailed.

http://http://www.ag...-plans/6261.pdf