Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Case 442 with Hydraulic PTO & Sleeve Hitch--What's it Worth?

case 442 hydraulic pto case sleeve hitch case tiller rototiller

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:18 PM

IMG_20150123_172505_7711.jpg IMG_20150123_172450_1281.jpg CASE 442 LH 20150123.jpg

Pager 450 found this Case 442 a few miles from my house.  The current owner bought it from a power equipment dealership--paid $2000 for it, but it has some "issues".

It does drive... the travel lever tends to engage fairly quickly when the engine revs are anything above a fast idle... With the tiller on the back and no front weights, it popper a wheelie when the owner showed it to me, lol.

The engine burns oil... when I lifted the hood, the head bolt closest to the hydraulic pump had unwound 2" above the head. You get a puff of blue smoke out from under the shroud when you start the engine or gun it.

There's no air cleaner or air cleaner box (which would explain the burning oil)...

There's a lot of play in the steering--pinion and sector, tie rod ends, axle pivot, etc.  It doesn't turn very sharp.... is that typical of the Case 400 series, or is it just because of the sloppy steering components?

The tiller works, but turns slowly-- maybe 120 revs/minute, even with the engine revved up--yet the engine bogs down when you engage the valve to turn it on.  The detent cap on the end of the hydraulic PTO valve was (loosely) held on with one screw. The dealer ship replaced one hose from the rear QD to the tiller, the other has weather cracking in the outer surface.

CASE 442  TILLER LH 20150123.jpg CASE 442  SLEEVE HITCH 20150123.jpg CASE 442 RR 20150123.jpg

The hood has been ground away near the starter/generator pulley.

No fan on the end of the crankshaft for the hydraulic cooler

The hydraulic lift for the 3 point "whistles" when you operate it.

No key switch...

Not sure if the lights work.

I didn't hear any odd noises from the transaxle or hydraulic motor.

The dealer has promised to supply a new air cleaner box and filter, and tie up some of the "loose ends" but hasn't done so, yet, I doubt he will follow through on it, though, but you never know.

The owner has a market garden and needs something bigger--he knows he can't get his $2,000 back, and is willing to take offers.

He's give me first right of refusal, and I'm pretty interested, primarily for the tiller, hydraulic PTO, and sleeve hitch. If I get it, I'd probably move those items to my 444, repower the 444 with the air-cooled diesel I just bought, and sell the 442.

So, given all that, what is your opinion??? (Don't hold back, but also realize Case GTs bring a little higher prices here in the West since they aren't as common.)

Thanks,

Smitty

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,869 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:24 PM

I'LL let Wilberj field this one. hahahahahahha

Edited by HANKG, January 23, 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:33 PM

I'LL let Wilberj field this one. hahahahahahha

Thanks!!  (I think.....) ;o}

Smitty

• HANKG said thank you

#4 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,869 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:44 PM

Case gts seem to garner a lot of money wherever they are, they are built like a tank I own a 67 155 I paid 375.00 for it. It had the hydraulic lift option called a E25 kit I saw this kit sell on Ebay FOR 300.00 this week
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 11:17 PM

Case gts seem to garner a lot of money wherever they are, they are built like a tank I own a 67 155 I paid 375.00 for it. It had the hydraulic lift option called a E25 kit I saw this kit sell on Ebay FOR 300.00 this week

Thanks, Hank, I know they're not cheap...

I'm not interested in the tractor per se since my 444 has a stronger running engine, and I'm not a collector, but I know the 442s are probably the most rare of the 4XX series so I don't want to hack it and repower it with a diesel.

Smitty

• HANKG said thank you

#6 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 02:15 PM

The Case guys break it down a piece at a time.  300 for the tiller, 200 for the sleeve hitch, 200 for the pto, 60 bucks for 2 new hoses adds up to $760 in accessories.  I could be off on the old style pto, they are pretty rare, still that leaves around $1240 for the tractor.   It looks good in the pics but the issues you describe sound like it needs some help.  

Hydraulic stuff can add up, it's around $200 per major part like drive motor, pump, travel valve, etc.  An old Case guy said that 40 years is a reasonable life for a drive motor and the other drive parts probably aren't far behind.  Then you have to diagnose, get a high-pressure fluid gauge, deal with oil everywhere, etc.

The old style tractor is limited to the old front implements, which are harder to find.  I'd say the bare tractor is probably worth around $500 if you can clear up the smoke without a rebuild.  If the motor needs tore down that's a hassle.  Factoring in the package price and issues I'd say $1000 at the high end to a collector but it wouldn't sell for that much where i live based on age and issues.  Still it is a nice lookin tractor. 

----

As for being rare... kind of... last year a Case collector in TN passed on, he had some nice stuff and it auctioned off for dirt cheap.  There was a Demonstrator in there that went for just a few hundred bucks as i recall and it looked pretty nice.  Those are really desireable, i think the 442 is more of a conversation piece than a true collector's item at this point just my .02 tho good luck

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 02:19 PM

The Case hydraulic tillers do run much slower rpm's than all other rear pto tillers I've ever seen.

• Utah Smitty and Oldford have said thanks

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 03:22 PM

The Case guys break it down a piece at a time.  300 for the tiller, 200 for the sleeve hitch, 200 for the pto, 60 bucks for 2 new hoses adds up to $760 in accessories.  I could be off on the old style pto, they are pretty rare, still that leaves around $1240 for the tractor.   It looks good in the pics but the issues you describe sound like it needs some help.  

Hydraulic stuff can add up, it's around $200 per major part like drive motor, pump, travel valve, etc.  An old Case guy said that 40 years is a reasonable life for a drive motor and the other drive parts probably aren't far behind.  Then you have to diagnose, get a high-pressure fluid gauge, deal with oil everywhere, etc.

The old style tractor is limited to the old front implements, which are harder to find.  I'd say the bare tractor is probably worth around $500 if you can clear up the smoke without a rebuild.  If the motor needs tore down that's a hassle.  Factoring in the package price and issues I'd say $1000 at the high end to a collector but it wouldn't sell for that much where i live based on age and issues.  Still it is a nice lookin tractor. 

----

As for being rare... kind of... last year a Case collector in TN passed on, he had some nice stuff and it auctioned off for dirt cheap.  There was a Demonstrator in there that went for just a few hundred bucks as i recall and it looked pretty nice.  Those are really desireable, i think the 442 is more of a conversation piece than a true collector's item at this point just my .02 tho good luck

Thanks, OldFord...

That's a good compilation of value, and what to expect.  I tend to think that this machine, in good running shape, is worth $1000 to $1,200.  I plan to use the components on my 444, and keep the 442 stock--fix it up a little and resale it.

Smitty

• Oldford said thank you

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 03:24 PM

The Case hydraulic tillers do run much slower rpm's than all other rear pto tillers I've ever seen.

Thanks, Daniel... I'm not that familiar with them, so I wasn't sure.

I've seen some threads on diesel repowers in the cases, including one with a Lomabardini 25L425, which is a newer version of my Ruggerini.  Most of them have been in 446s and 448s, which have hood flares to cover the flat twin engine.

My diesel is a little wider than the K321 in my 444--do you know if the larger machines had a wider frame as well?  Also, are the pumps the same as to output?

Thanks,

Smitty

#10 gopher ONLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 628 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 06:36 PM

I'm sure both the 200 & 400  frames same might be some cosmetic differences some had longer frames just in the mid section not the engine compartment.But for width I've never heard of different front attachments between the 200 & 400. The 600's might be different story. 

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 08:20 PM

I'm sure both the 200 & 400  frames same might be some cosmetic differences some had longer frames just in the mid section not the engine compartment.But for width I've never heard of different front attachments between the 200 & 400. The 600's might be different story. 

Thanks, Gopher... that was the info I needed... not so much for the attachments, but for the hood.  The Case frames tend to be a little narrow, so I can't sit the engine down between the rails.  It's about 2" taller than the Kohler K321, so I may have to mount the hood higher... I'll also need to make a set of flared extensions on the hood, or get a hood from a 446 or 448--it looks like the grill is the same...

I imagine the pumps are basically the same output... the need for additional power comes from the larger mowers, snowblower, etc. that are available on the 446 and 448.

Smitty

#12 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 12 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, Gopher... that was the info I needed... not so much for the attachments, but for the hood.  The Case frames tend to be a little narrow, so I can't sit the engine down between the rails.  It's about 2" taller than the Kohler K321, so I may have to mount the hood higher... I'll also need to make a set of flared extensions on the hood, or get a hood from a 446 or 448--it looks like the grill is the same...

I imagine the pumps are basically the same output... the need for additional power comes from the larger mowers, snowblower, etc. that are available on the 446 and 448.

Smitty

RE: engine height issue, take a look at an Onan powered Case.  The frame is notched and reinforced to drop the engine.  That was needed to get the pump to clear the stuff under the dash tower and keep the pto height reasonable.  Might also help your diesel swap.  Also only the later models had a flared hood side to help with width.  I might have one,   have  to look in storage.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 01:02 AM

RE: engine height issue, take a look at an Onan powered Case.  The frame is notched and reinforced to drop the engine.  That was needed to get the pump to clear the stuff under the dash tower and keep the pto height reasonable.  Might also help your diesel swap.  Also only the later models had a flared hood side to help with width.  I might have one,   have  to look in storage.

Thanks, Ken... I'd be interested in it if you do.  Where are you located?

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case 442, hydraulic pto, case sleeve hitch, case tiller, rototiller