• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• Member No: 2212
  • 71 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 01:07 PM

I picked this tractor up off a local ad for $50 last year, It came with the 44" deck and wheel weights. The previous owner added the electric lift. Only thing the motor is blown, totally destroyed. Question is what other motors would bolt up to this without to many mods. it has the 18hp Kohler Mag. I haved searched hi and low for a replacement.

The tractor is really in great condition along with the deck. the deck is off in the photo.

Attached Thumbnails

• gt6000.jpg

#2 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,710 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 02:40 PM

I have an '88 GT18 or GT6000 for some of you, and mine has a Briggs & Stratton opposed twin (horizontal shaft). Their were also vertical shaft models, so whichever yours is the B&S should bolt right in.

#3 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 97 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted March 05, 2011 - 02:54 PM

If its an 18 mag then a 18 briggs opposed should be right at home under its hood. The early 90s GT6Ks has briggs opposed.

#4 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 71 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thanks, I have have to search for one of those briggs, are they any better or equal to the original Kohler ? I am not sure if I am gonna keep this one or flip it after I get the motor, Is this tractor as tough as it seems to be ?

#5 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,710 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 03:18 PM

The Briggs is just as good in my opinion, and the tractor is as tough as you think. Mine, the last guy used it for dragging logs up a slope in low gear range. Then I dragged some 400 pound or more steel I-beams with it. If yours has the range selection by you right ankle then it's tough.

#6 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 71 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 04:51 PM

Yup it's got the high-low range. Thats what I was possibly thinking of doing with it if I keep it, dragging logs out.

#7 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,710 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted March 06, 2011 - 04:58 PM

Yup it's got the high-low range. Thats what I was possibly thinking of doing with it if I keep it, dragging logs out.

Well then, it should do well, I recommend a tire upgrade to atv tires and tubes filled with ballast and add wheel weights. Otherwise you need someone standing on the hitch.

#8 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 71 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 03:31 PM

I agree on more agressive tires, It has the 55lb weights do you think that would be enough?

#9 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,710 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 05:42 PM

No, it wont be enough, I had no weight on the tires and dad standing on the hitch so I believe those 55 pound a piece weights plus aggressive tires filled with 40-50 pounds of fluid in each (5-6 gallons per tire) it will be around 200 pounds of weight. Definitely use tubes though, good luck.

#10 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 71 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 08:46 PM

No, it wont be enough, I had no weight on the tires and dad standing on the hitch so I believe those 55 pound a piece weights plus aggressive tires filled with 40-50 pounds of fluid in each (5-6 gallons per tire) it will be around 200 pounds of weight. Definitely use tubes though, good luck.

Ok, Thanks

#11 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,710 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 09:09 PM

no problem , thats what the forum is about

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,701 Thanks
  • 43,745 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 07:42 PM

I think I would also put some weight on the front. Adding that much to the rear and hooking onto a log, the front may get a little light.

#13 FF24GT6000Man OFFLINE  

FF24GT6000Man

• Member No: 2616
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 10:55 AM

Like everyone else has said, the earlier models took an 18hp Opposed Twin B&S, so that should fit just fine. Anyway, what have you done with the tractor so far? Thats a decent find for $50 if you can get a good motor in it for cheap.

#14 mmclaughlin OFFLINE  

mmclaughlin

• 71 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 02:08 PM

Like everyone else has said, the earlier models took an 18hp Opposed Twin B&S, so that should fit just fine. Anyway, what have you done with the tractor so far? Thats a decent find for $50 if you can get a good motor in it for cheap.

Well I just found a snapper LT16 for $50 with a 16hp Briggs horz shaft motor for it, The original kohler on the c-man had a pulley on the back side to power the rear and this briggs was shaft drive to the rear so I am gonna have to get a pulley for it.

#15 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,710 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts

Posted May 14, 2011 - 03:25 PM

A good machine shop can drill holes in a pulley (with the right spacing and centered) to make it work. I just added a pulley outside of the drive pulley on mine to power a 3-wire Delco alternator I just mounted up to it. Believe me, anything is possible with these old C-man 6000s, they are workhorses, I don't care how many people call them junk, I have been trying to blow the rear out of mine to have the engine for some other project, so far no luck so I built up the rest of the machine LOL.