11 replies to this topic

#1 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 64272
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:50 PM

My latest acquisition, a Bolens 1000 with a Wisconsin TRA12D1 engine.  I picked it up for some of the attachments on it.  I don't plan on keeping it since I don't need three Bolens tube frames.  I need to pull off the attachments and determine if the engine is any good.  If it is, I'll sell it cheap to anyone on the forum.  I'm in the Springfield, MA area and I'll post it in the classifieds when I'm done.

Boy this 1000 is an odd duck, a mix of old stuff (column controls), and new (pull controls). I'm guessing the column controls seized and were replaced by a PO.

The axle pin is stuck, is there a secret to getting it free?  I soaked it with PB Blaster last night.

Here are some pics I snapped last night:

1000_2.jpg

1000_3.jpg

1000_4.jpg

1000_1.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, sacsr, Mark K and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:58 PM

Wow pretty cool looking old tractor.  That freewheel pin will have to soak like you did. You may be able to apply some heat to it and rock the tractor back and forth. If you part it out I'd be interested in the headlights for one of my tractor projects.  Those look like the ad-on headlights.

#3 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • Member No: 60181
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 01:09 PM

Congrats on the acquisition.  Looks like the kind of machine that comes alive at night and terrorizes the neighborhood, but being in the hands of a Bolens guy can channel its aggression for good. :thumbs:

The secret to that free wheeling pin is a good deal of patience, a lot of PB blaster and some elbow grease.  The best way to come at it if it's really stuck is to remove the wheel and use a punch from the outside of the hub.  Try using a punch only slightly smaller in diameter than the pin itself, and use a weighted hammer to get that pin out.  Mine was almost fused in place so I used an old socket extension as a punch, held it in place with channel locks (so I could take full swings without fear of crushing my hand), and used the back of a hatchet to ram it out.  I had to swing as hard as I could to get that pin to budge, but it came out after a few days of PB Blaster soak.  I was pleasantly surprised that after cleaning and greasing the pin, it now effortlessly slides in and out.

Good luck with the jobs ahead!

• Sawdust and stanz have said thanks

#4 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 01:19 PM

That tractor got a lot of character and patina and those headlights are very retro.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 01:25 PM

Congrats on the acquisition.  Looks like the kind of machine that comes alive at night and terrorizes the neighborhood, but being in the hands of a Bolens guy can channel its aggression for good. :thumbs:

The secret to that free wheeling pin is a good deal of patience, a lot of PB blaster and some elbow grease.  The best way to come at it if it's really stuck is to remove the wheel and use a punch from the outside of the hub.  Try using a punch only slightly smaller in diameter than the pin itself, and use a weighted hammer to get that pin out.  Mine was almost fused in place so I used an old socket extension as a punch, held it in place with channel locks (so I could take full swings without fear of crushing my hand), and used the back of a hatchet to ram it out.  I had to swing as hard as I could to get that pin to budge, but it came out after a few days of PB Blaster soak.  I was pleasantly surprised that after cleaning and greasing the pin, it now effortlessly slides in and out.

I that pin is seized to the axle housing more than the wheel hub, I'd go easy on the punch from the oust side or you could snap off the casting that holds the pin on the housing.  Lots of patience and PB blaster like red79 said.  I used a vise grip on the head of the pin and kept trying to turn it and little by little it came free.  If it take to much force to get it to move, a little more soaking time may be in order.  Just my opinion and experience on those type of things.

#6 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 04:10 PM

I had to remove the wheel to get the weight box off so I used your method and tapped it gently, it worked great.

Thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Ummm! Not pretty to Me!  Not sure what this "free-wheel" thing is about, first I've heard of that. AND, those headlights, C'mon Guy's, They have to GO!  Can you say "Ugly"?   From the "Dark Side".

#8 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 07:05 PM

Nice job on the free wheel pin that was quick.

#9 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 07:08 PM

once you get that freewheel drive pin out of the hub i suggest taking some sandpaper to all of it and cleaning it up. then put a light amount of grease on the pin to keep it from rusting solid in there and running into the same problem. or if you have leaky oil seals on the axles, it lubricates itself! haha its very common for those seals to leak. just about every one i own leaks, some worse than others though!

#10 stanz OFFLINE  

stanz
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 73 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 08:46 PM

Ummm! Not pretty to Me!  Not sure what this "free-wheel" thing is about, first I've heard of that. AND, those headlights, C'mon Guy's, They have to GO!  Can you say "Ugly"?   From the "Dark Side".

Well, I can see why you're "grumpy", I think the lights are funky. If anyone wants them I've removed them and they both work.

#11 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • Member No: 60181
  • 57 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:55 PM

Glad that pin cooperated for you. Sure does make it a lot easier to move the thing around the garage.

#12 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 11:19 PM

I guess YOU  did not know that just replying to this topic that YOU could catch the very disease that you warn every one about . YOU will need to make appt with the doc to see if he can do any thing for you.!!!!!!!!