10 replies to this topic

#1 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Prices seem to be coming down on the "newer" small farm tractors, these are lower than what 8/9Ns usually go for around here

Ford 600

http://maine.craigsl...4859614056.html

David Brown 990

http://maine.craigsl...4859637962.html

If i ever get some more land i'd like to try one of these old farm tractors for logging, lifting, etc.  Unfortunately i don't know anything about them other than they look pretty cool

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:11 AM

The 600 looks just like my fathers' 800. Most of those older machines did not have power steering and were a bear to manuver with a loaded bucket. I like my early 70s tractors and they were very reasonable when I bought them almost 30 years ago. I've seen a Ford 3000 with FEL for $3500 recently. They were a very good machine. You get alot more for your dollar with a bigger and older machine.  Good Luck, Rick

• Oldford and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 04:00 PM

The 600 looks just like my fathers' 800. Most of those older machines did not have power steering and were a bear to manuver with a loaded bucket.

By attaching a Backhoe on the back of a tractor you cut the steering effort in half and double the tractors usefulness. Worked for my 850.

2qmi3p4.jpg

• sacsr, boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 04:10 PM

The 600 looks just like my fathers' 800. Most of those older machines did not have power steering and were a bear to manuver with a loaded bucket. I like my early 70s tractors and they were very reasonable when I bought them almost 30 years ago. I've seen a Ford 3000 with FEL for $3500 recently. They were a very good machine. You get alot more for your dollar with a bigger and older machine.  Good Luck, Rick

I got suckered in to buying the neighbors 3000 with FEL for $2500. " ran when parked" kinda thing. I check the fuel tank and it looked clean and rust free, went back 2 weeks later and it had flash rusted and the fuel turned to yogurt. After $800+ in new parts, it was time to give it a shake down, thats when I found out that it blows water out of the radiator when worked hard, then overheats. I hope it is just a head gasket :wallbanging:

• boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 07:43 PM

tater195, My dads' 800 had the Sherman 13' backhoe too. The 3000 is a very good tractor when taken care of. Parts are reasonable. You may want to consider a full, in the tractor, overhaul of the engine. I would suspect that at the very least the water jackets and passages are blocked. I've seen it before where a bunch of radiator sealers were used and they plugged passages in the block. I've bought some parts for my 2000 from:  http://www.fordtractorpart.com/  and was satisfied with their parts and service. Whenever I order from them, I usually order a spare voltage regulator from them. The 2000 and the 4500 have the same generators and voltage regulators. Because I don't use mine very often, the low batteries burn out the regulators in only a couple of years. Good Luck, Rick

• Cvans and Oldford have said thanks

#6 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 08:31 PM

the radiator had a hole that was patched about the size of a baseball and 80% plugged with mud, hay, horse poop stuff. I swapped that out with a radiator out of a 4000. They ran it with an open header when the exhaust manifold outlet busted off. I put a Oreilly's special exhaust system with a glass pack on it... and a new water pump... and a new carb... and new belts....and new hoses. I bought most of my parts through the local dealer and YTC ( dont get me started on those yahoos)

It has good compression cold so I dont think a complete overhaul is needed. If it turns out to be a cracked sleeve, I will put new parts back in when it goes back together... along with new clutches $$$$$$$, or I may slap a head gasket in it and call it good. I wont be bush hogging 40 acres with it, just light loader work, snow duty and working the gravel in the drive way... or send it on down the road. Who knows??

Edited by tater195, January 23, 2015 - 08:33 PM.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 02:42 PM

I like the idea of a $400 bush hog for the 3pth.  Also barrel full of concrete for a rear counterweight to lighten the steering when lifting something big up front...? 

The old Fords look low and wide stance.  I've heard of more than one newer Kubota loader tipping over in the woods.  I don't have a way to pick up a big tractor back onto its wheels so want something won't go over in the first place

Sounds like you can still get most of the motor parts and the transmissions are pretty strong...?

I guess they use a lot of fuel tho

• Cvans said thank you

#8 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:05 PM

A good heavy weighted box blade or rear blade makes a good counter balance and it is more useful than a barrel of concrete

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:08 PM

the radiator had a hole that was patched about the size of a baseball and 80% plugged with mud, hay, horse poop stuff. I swapped that out with a radiator out of a 4000. They ran it with an open header when the exhaust manifold outlet busted off. I put a Oreilly's special exhaust system with a glass pack on it... and a new water pump... and a new carb... and new belts....and new hoses. I bought most of my parts through the local dealer and YTC ( dont get me started on those yahoos)

It has good compression cold so I dont think a complete overhaul is needed. If it turns out to be a cracked sleeve, I will put new parts back in when it goes back together... along with new clutches $$$$$$$, or I may slap a head gasket in it and call it good. I wont be bush hogging 40 acres with it, just light loader work, snow duty and working the gravel in the drive way... or send it on down the road. Who knows??

Try flushing the cooling system a couple of times. Good Luck, Rick

• Oldford said thank you

#10 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:42 PM

I hate to threadjack, I might need to start a post for this.

I think that compression gasses are getting into the cooling and overpressuring the radiator cap. They have a tool to check that. I just have not rented one to prove it. It walks like a duck and talks like a duck.

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 10:56 PM

... You get alot more for your dollar with a bigger and older machine.  Good Luck, Rick

That is true, but sometimes bigger isn't always better if it can't fit into spaces where you need it.

• boyscout862 said thank you