• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Oliver 2-44 OFFLINE  

Oliver 2-44
  • Member No: 66772
  • 47 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:47 AM

This weekend I'm going to look at a Bolens Ride-a-matic that belonged to a coworkers uncle. it reportedly has a tiller and a mower deck. I currently have no idea of condition.

I need some help getting an idea what the price for this tractor should be.. I'm new to the tractor restoration hobby, but have worked with farm tractors for years. As my used name indicates I have a mid 1960's Oliver 2-44 backhoe/loader that I've done a lot of rework on to keep it operational for use at the family farm. I currently have 2 Wheelhorse tractors, a worker 312-8 and a C161 being restored, but I'm new to the old Bolens.

Am I correct that the Ride-a-Matic was made from 1957 to 1962?

and

The 57&58 has round fronts & noses, then they gradually went to more of a square front with the 62 being very boxy

What is this current price range these are selling for. I realize condition and completeness have a lot to do with price.

So

Best Condition -if in good condition, complete with original paint that has a nice old patina, night run as-is with a little cleanup:$$

Fair Condition -if in fair condition, missing a few small items but fairly complete, half rust, half paint but not excessively painted :$$

Poor condition- if in poor condition missing or bent up or heavily pitted sheetmetal, all rusted, missing motor or other major parts $$

Thanks for any guidance. I want to be offer the owner affair price, but not be taken for way more than it's worth. if I buy it, I will keep it and make it a show tractor or ride it in parades, etc.

• NUTNDUN, grand, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:53 AM

Welcome to the forum. We get defensive about putting prices on machine, due to threads showing up on Google searches and people continually adding 10% on whatever they have. We effectively are shooting ourselves and this hobby in the foot.

I will say it's worth what your comfortable paying.
  • NUTNDUN, grand, wilberj and 6 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:57 AM

Welcome :wave:

Welcome to the forum. We get defensive about putting prices on machine, due to threads showing up on Google searches and people continually adding 10% on whatever they have. We effectively are shooting ourselves and this hobby in the foot.

I will say it's worth what your comfortable paying.

:ditto:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

• NUTNDUN, grand, wilberj and 3 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Welcome to GTT. This is a hobby and is almost never a profit making venture. Play with what you like and realize this is a way to hold on to your sanity. Good Luck, Rick

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#5 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:23 AM

This is exactly what I tried to explain before,you get a new guy getting into the hobby asking for advise on how to get started,ya some do get very offensive,the best advise I can give you is to try to do some research on the net to get idea of what prices are doing right now,you will find some inflated prices for sure,some will tell you there worth $50.00,but we know better than that,I'm not that familiar with the Ride-a-matics so I don't want to steer you wrong,but those are cool machines,hope you can strike a deal,and please post pics if you do,I have been buying and selling Bolens tractors and parts for over 16 years now,mostly the tube frame and large frame stuff,that I could help with,hope this helps a little bit,good luck

Edited by blackjackjakexxix, January 23, 2015 - 01:07 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#6 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:44 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. I see you are in TX near Austin. Pricing can be a fickled thing on any FMC Bolens machine. Pricing seems to be dictated by regions and mostly supply and demand. Other factors whether it runs of not. If it runs and moves find out why they want to get rid of it. Some want to move things to make space. Some try to capitalize on the concept of vintage, rare, hard-to-find.

Think about the idea of what scrap metal is going for and add/subtract to that anything you feel is of value (has motor, missing the carb., tires good/rotted, steering wheel/no steering wheel ....) Finding parts will be a challenge and costly, but, can be found.

Good luck.

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#7 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 11:00 AM

Welcome to GTTalk!

#8 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:00 PM

Welcome to GTTalk!

As for pricing, as others have suggested, it is very regional for Bolens tractors and is driven by how common they are in that particular area, and how badly you want the tractor. That said, my suggestion is to make sure that you know what each of the Ride-a-Matic tractors SHOULD look like so you know if something is missing. As an example, it is very common to find Ride-a-Matics without their belt guards. Some previous owner took them off to adjust or change a belt, realized that they were not required for the tractor to function so they were not reinstalled, and now the belt guards are gone. Never to be seen again and hard to come by.

• wilberj, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Welcome to the forum. when I see something of interest to me I go on google, craigslist (country wide search) and ebay and see what other's are selling it  for. That gives me a good hi/low average of what it is worth to sellers. Then I go by condition and how bad I want the tractor. I'll tell you that I have paid way more than a tractor is worth because I really wanted it. 

• wilberj, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#10 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Start with scrap price and go from their. I bought a 61 with a snow blower for 100 bucks and everyone felt like they got a deal. I also have made post asking for advise about pricing of gt's and never thought about how it effected the hobby. Now that I'm aware I try to do research by looking on Craigs List to see what they are going for, then I try to take into account how much work they need and what parts will cost. If you don't hear it run assume a rebuild is in order, I like to talk myself through the process out loud in the front of the seller it sometimes helps. I hope this helps some, I hope yours has the belt covers, they are almost always gone. Good luck

• wilberj said thank you

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 02:26 PM

Another thing to remember is what someone is asking on the net is not always the going rate,  check the "completed" listings section on ebay, many people have $1,000 to $3,000 tube frames on there but they are not selling , and have been around for years. Asking price does not always  give you an idea on what things are worth , especially today.

• wilberj, blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 03:14 PM

Condition, is almost always the determining factor  when it comes to price. If you know the GT your buying  make sure all the parts are there that is very important when buying an older GT especially a Bolens from the 50's hard to find belt guards and other parts should  affect the price that you the buyer should pay. That being said if a  57 or 58 RAM runs and drives and you have oak for one I would say 450.00 and up, again condition........... this one is on the very up side.

Attached Thumbnails

• 497.JPG
  • 499.JPG

Edited by HANKG, January 23, 2015 - 04:28 PM.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 04:40 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#14 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 05:42 PM

attachicon.gif495.JPGCondition, is almost always the determining factor  when it comes to price. If you know the GT your buying  make sure all the parts are there that is very important when buying an older GT especially a Bolens from the 50's hard to find belt guards and other parts should  affect the price that you the buyer should pay. That being said if a  57 or 58 RAM runs and drives and you have oak for one I would say 450.00 and up, again condition........... this one is on the very up side.

You had to throw a number?  

#15 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 06:38 PM

I agree with what Bolens 1000 is saying,thats why I said do your research and look at more than just a couple prices,and Jerome that's exactly my point,why would anyone want to join a forum if when he's new to the hobby can't get any info to go by,glad HANKG had the guts to help inform someone,would you rather see someone get hosed by paying to much because they couldn't get the info needed to make a good decession
  • Bruce Dorsi, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks