• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mshrauger OFFLINE  

Mshrauger
  • Member No: 36628
  • 46 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:44 AM

Hello all. I've been reading your posts for a long time and finally thought I should join the conversation. When I was in high school I inherited my grandfathers t758es. It had sat for six or seven years after he died so it was in need of work. My dad and I started to restore it. Unfortunately he died not long after we got the panzer so it sat in a barn partly put together with ugly primer and I went off to college.

Well it's over twenty years later and I live half way across the country from the barn where the tractor has been sitting but I finnaly got it home. I could have bought a nice panzer locally for less than shipping but I wanted mine back.

I pulled the engine and took it into a local shop and would you believe all they had to do was a carb kit, points and such and she came back to life. It basicly hasn't run since my grandpa had it back in 1986!

Now time for some paint. I hate the primer and miss the blue. Here are a few pics of its current state I took before it got cold. I have most of the missing parts sitting in a box. I am in need of a new reversing disk. If anyone knows where to get one. I called Jim at Dandy sales here in Mass. But he told me he was out of stock and his supplier had been bought out and he couldn't get them anymore.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse and 15 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:58 AM

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the shipping expense was well worth the money spent. One of the Panzer addicts should be able to help with a source on the reversing disc.
  • tinbender7, Gabriel and Savageman have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:59 AM

Welcome to GTT. NAPA may be able to get the disk for you. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7, Clint and Gabriel have said thanks

#4 Savageman OFFLINE  

Savageman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53929
  • 394 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:23 AM

What a great story.  I would have done the same.  I see you live in MA.  Where?  Western, Central or Eastern?  I am from Southampton near Springfield.  Do you plan on doing any of the local shows?  How about a first name.  I'd like to add you as a friend.

Someday we will meet,

Dave

Edited by Savageman, January 23, 2015 - 10:24 AM.

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#5 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:40 AM

Welcome to GTTalk!

#6 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hello all. I've been reading your posts for a long time and finally thought I should join the conversation. When I was in high school I inherited my grandfathers t758es. It had sat for six or seven years after he died so it was in need of work. My dad and I started to restore it. Unfortunately he died not long after we got the panzer so it sat in a barn partly put together with ugly primer and I went off to college.

Well it's over twenty years later and I live half way across the country from the barn where the tractor has been sitting but I finnaly got it home. I could have bought a nice panzer locally for less than shipping but I wanted mine back.

I pulled the engine and took it into a local shop and would you believe all they had to do was a carb kit, points and such and she came back to life. It basicly hasn't run since my grandpa had it back in 1986!

Now time for some paint. I hate the primer and miss the blue. Here are a few pics of its current state I took before it got cold. I have most of the missing parts sitting in a box. I am in need of a new reversing disk. If anyone knows where to get one. I called Jim at Dandy sales here in Mass. But he told me he was out of stock and his supplier had been bought out and he couldn't get them anymore.

That thing looks like it's in pretty good shape, considering ................. AL

#7 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:04 PM

Welcome, glad you got your gt back. I like the old Panzers and hope to some day own one. Good luck on your resto and I hope to see more pic's.

#8 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:14 PM

I have most of the missing parts sitting in a box. I am in need of a new reversing disk. If anyone knows where to get one. I called Jim at Dandy sales here in Mass. But he told me he was out of stock and his supplier had been bought out and he couldn't get them anymore.

A guy I know bought a chunk of rubber and cut it to the right size and used that.

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:38 PM

Welcome.

I agree, I probably would have shipped my grandpa's old tractor too.

I still have the GT I grew up on in the barn, motor blew in 1990, my dad parked it. I plan to restore it someday.

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#10 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 03:54 PM

Welcome , hope to see you around . That Panzers looking good.Shipping to get a Family tractor is money well spent.

Tom

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 04:12 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I think you made the right choice in bringing that tractor home. Looking forward to seeing it restored.

#12 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 04:48 PM

492.JPG Welcome aboard

• Clint said thank you

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 04:52 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#14 Mshrauger OFFLINE  

Mshrauger
  • Member No: 36628
  • 46 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for all your comments. It's been a very long trip to get the tractor this far. I can't wait for this spring. I'm hoping to have more time to work on it then. My wife just had a baby on the first of January and we have an 18 month old we are adopting so most of my tractor time is looking and dreaming right now. But I'm slowly getting things put together.

Dave, to answer your question I live on the cape so not to far from where you're at. Well by cape standards it's over the bridge so it's a long way. But I grew up in Nebraska so Southampton is just down the road. ;).
  • Chris11, Clint, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#15 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 943 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 08:06 PM

I love the story behind It . glad you got that tractor back.