28 replies to this topic

#16 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 10:47 PM

I got the fluid situation fixed.  New tubing, a hair dryer, and drilled a hole in the aftermarket filter that wasn't venting so fluid now flows in.

The hydro creeps so I went to adjust the linkage and found this.  Does it look like something is broken or missing in the hydro linkage?

DSCN1496.JPG

DSCN1498.JPG

It's hard to tell from the old service manual i have, but I think the long arm in my pics above is supposed to be connected to one of the nuts at the end of the pivot points...??  or maybe the flat plate that connects to the clevis...?

thanks for any help

#17 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 08:28 AM

I will get the service manual out this afternoon and check linkage.  What is the serial number?  

Edited by Trav1s, February 22, 2015 - 08:29 AM.

• Oldford said thank you

#18 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 11:43 PM

SN is 73,000 something.  Which i believe is 1977.

I have a service manual in pdf, kind of hard to make out the pics in it.  But it looks like i'm either missing some parts, or the metal plates broke off somewhere... or both..??

#19 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 09:29 AM

I will get the info from the manual later today.  Here is a parts diagram from JDparts.com for your reference.  It does look like there are some parts missing but I cannot tell what from your pics.   Is your pic looking up from the bottom of the tractor?   

Attached Thumbnails

• M22394F________UN01JAN94.gif

Edited by Trav1s, February 23, 2015 - 09:31 AM.

• Oldford said thank you

#20 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted February 23, 2015 - 04:47 PM

I think the parts diagram I posted above might be more help in figuring out what parts should be there.  If needed I can get the service manual into for you.  

• Oldford said thank you

#21 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 09:10 AM

I think the parts diagram I posted above might be more help in figuring out what parts should be there.  If needed I can get the service manual into for you.  

Thanks for the diagram.  Looking at that and my pics above, I think Part# 26 is the flat strap connected to the hydro at one end and just hanging loose at the other end.  My pics are looking up from the ground.

I have a fuzzy Service Manual, on the Hydro Adjust page it looks like Part #26 is supposed to connect to Part #21, called Control Cam D in the SM.  There is a bolt with a roller, Part #24, that fits into a detent on Part #21 and connects it to Part #26 I believe.

Looking at my pics above, is Part #21 on my tractor damaged where the Part #24 is supposed to connect?  It looks kind of buggered to me but I don't know what it is supposed to look like.

Where could I find these small parts so I can connect things properly?  Rollers and bolts/pins, from the looks of it, maybe a new Part #21/Control Cam if it is damaged. 

Overall the tractor stopped creeping when I moved Part#26 upwards, but it looks like it is supposed to connect to the Control Cam and move back and forth with the control lever.  Is there a risk of damaging something in the hydro by operating it without Part# 26 connected to the Control Cam?

thanks for any help

• MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#22 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 10:21 AM

I have a 300 at work and if the Heat man ever gets here, I'll get you some photos today of mine. If that's helps?

• Oldford said thank you

#23 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 11:42 AM

Thanks it would help but no rush, I know what it's like to be out in the cold.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#24 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 12:26 PM

I will grab the manual and check on a few more pics

• Oldford said thank you

#25 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 04:34 PM

Here's what mine looks like from underneath.

IMG_20150227_152245_731.jpg IMG_20150227_152254_365.jpg IMG_20150227_152331_699.jpg

Is looks like you are missing a roller that goes on the long arm ( part # 24 & 25). I need to check to see if there is a spring on the long arm also.

• Oldford said thank you

#26 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 27, 2015 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for the pics i will climb back under it tomorrow and see if the parts line up.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#27 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 08:59 AM

Here's what mine looks like from underneath.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150227_152245_731.jpgattachicon.gif

Is looks like you are missing a roller that goes on the long arm ( part # 24 & 25). I need to check to see if there is a spring on the long arm also.

You are right that long arm (#26 in travis1's diagram above) is called a roller arm in my service manual.  There is supposed to be a small spring hooked into the small hole in the far left end of the arm shown in your pic above.  The other end of the spring hooks to a "cotter pin in the tractor frame," according to my SM.

Thanks again for the pics and the idea about there might be a spring.  I couldn't figure out how the missing "roller" was supposed to stay put in the "cam plate detent," which is just a groove facing the ground.  Of course it has to be spring tension holding the roller arm up against the detent in the plate.

Part of my misunderstanding came from not scrolling down to my tractor's hydro section in the SM.  I have a newer copy with later model tractors in it, there is a generic hydro adjustment pic right near the top for the newer tractors, side view, can't see how it goes together, no spring shown, and i couldn't figure it out. 

Once I scrolled down (219 pages of pdf bouncing on my screen) and saw the detail photos for my tractor, along with the help i got here, it makes sense.  Unfortunately the pic of the spring is cut off where it goes up into the tractor frame so i'll have to look at mine once it warms up a little, 5 below out there right now.    thanks again

• Texas Deere and Horse and Trav1s have said thanks

#28 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 12:09 PM

I can see if I can get a photo of where the cotter pin goes and some measurements to help locate the hole for you on Monday.

• Oldford said thank you

#29 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted February 28, 2015 - 02:08 PM

No need i just finished up on the linkage.  The spring was attached to the top, hanging behind the cam plate.  It hooked right on to the arm.  It goes way up in there, i couldn't see where it hooks on up top but there's 4' of snow out there anyway.

I installed a 1/4" bolt and bushing in the arm, had to tap threads in the hole, seems to work fine.  Also replaced the clevis bolt with a 5/16 hitch pin, the p.o. used a bolt there, visible in my pics above, it was pretty bent inside so i used a hardened pin.

Got all the other hardware loosened up, will adjust it later when i start the tractor, for now everything is in place, seems good, will see.

thanks again for all the help, couldn't have figured it out on my own

• Trav1s said thank you