Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:00 AM

Hi All

I recently bought a 20 hp Ruggerini air-cooled diesel, and I'm looking to put it into a GT.  I've put an ad in the local classified hoping to find a nice Bolens Large Frame for it as it's kind of tall and won't fit into most GTs without some sheet metal mods.

I've not had any luck finding a Bolens nearby, so I'm falling back on using my Case 444.  Problem is, it's an earlier model and doesn't have the holding?? valve, that keeps the tractor from running away from you on  a hill. (Hopefully I got the name right).

My question:  What does it take to put a holding valve in the tractor, and do I have to use a specific valve from Case/Ingersoll, or can another valve work?

Also, I want to put a 3 pt hitch on the tractor.  I doubt I can find an OEM hitch, has anyone made a hitch for the Case 4xx series?

Thanks,

Utah Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, January 23, 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#2 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 08:21 AM

I think there were a couple options, like an extra block that went on top of the old style, then a later style holding valve that replaced it.  Brian Hildreth at Salem Power would know, he's an Ingersoll dealer really helpful.   http://www.salempwr.com/

There was a guy on ebay who made a 3pth for the hi wheel models last year, they were around 450 i think, around the same as a used one.  I like how the Case sleeve hitch only costs around 150 used and connects to the lift with a rod, no extra plumbing like on the 3pt, good luck

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the info. I've done more research and found the part no. for the valve, but haven't located one. I haven't been able to find the part number for the travel valve with an integral hold valve so I'll see if Brian has a line on one.

Smitty
  • Oldford said thank you

#4 Tony McD OFFLINE  

Tony McD
  • Member No: 66731
  • 21 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 11:35 AM

The holding valve, travel control with holding valve, 3 points, and hyd pto's pop up on ebay from time to time....but be ready to spend some cash.

To help with the runaway problem, I have gotten somewhat used to the "retard" position of the travel lever. Once you figure it out, it does help hold the tractor back. I think a holding valve would be much more reliable/better on hilly property. It's a little scarey when the tractor takes off, and the only brake is really only made for parking.

Here's a 3point on e-bay. I think you would still need a hyd pto or selector valve. > > http://www.ebay.com/...=item27ecee7f8f

I put a sleeve hitch on the 448, but it attatches to the same lift as the front and mid section, so all attachments go up and down at the same time.

To use the dozer blade and box scraper at the same time, a three point with hydraulic pto would be ideal to separate the lifts.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 11:58 AM

Ben (superaben) on this site is also an Ingersoll dealer and has the same access to parts as Mr. Hildreth.

http://gardentractor...aths-equipment/
  • Bolens 1000 and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 04:58 PM

The holding valve, travel control with holding valve, 3 points, and hyd pto's pop up on ebay from time to time....but be ready to spend some cash.

To help with the runaway problem, I have gotten somewhat used to the "retard" position of the travel lever. Once you figure it out, it does help hold the tractor back. I think a holding valve would be much more reliable/better on hilly property. It's a little scarey when the tractor takes off, and the only brake is really only made for parking.

Here's a 3point on e-bay. I think you would still need a hyd pto or selector valve. > > http://www.ebay.com/...=item27ecee7f8f

I put a sleeve hitch on the 448, but it attatches to the same lift as the front and mid section, so all attachments go up and down at the same time.

To use the dozer blade and box scraper at the same time, a three point with hydraulic pto would be ideal to separate the lifts.

Thanks, Tony...

I've heard of people using the Retard function (should work very well for me.... lol)

I checked out the eBay listing-- $750 is more than I paid for the tractor... I know they're rare, but if this is the going rate I'm going to have to come up with another solution...

Smitty

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 02:23 AM

Okay, so I found a travel valve for a 1985 model 226 that may have a hold valve included--is this the right one?  CASE 226 TRAVEL VALVE 1985 C.JPG

Compared to one from a 1970's vintage 448--both dual spool--  CASE 448 TRAVEL VALVE 1980 A.JPG

And, can I replumb the newer travel valve without a lot of alteration into my machine, which only has 1 spool (I think)??

Smitty

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 09:26 PM

Can anyone tell me if the travel valve from a 1985 226 Case has the holding valve built in?

Thanks,

Smitty

#9 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 12 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 10:25 AM

The change to the integrated holding valve happened in the mid 80s, but I think it was '86.  The two valves you pictured are both the non holding variety.  Here is a link to an eBay listing for a sold unit of the type you need.

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

The differences are quite apparent.

#10 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Good find - the picture in the ad is a really good example.

As you can see in the following picture, there's an extra "bump".

Hope no-one minds that I've borrowed the picture.

case holding valve.JPG

#11 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 12 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 01:29 PM

I have a complete 3 point available.  It's like to one linked on eBay, complete with the adapter for sleeve hitch implements.  Drop me a note if you're interested.  (it's cheaper than the one on the 'bay)

• Delmar and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 01, 2015 - 01:05 AM

The change to the integrated holding valve happened in the mid 80s, but I think it was '86.  The two valves you pictured are both the non holding variety.  Here is a link to an eBay listing for a sold unit of the type you need.

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

The differences are quite apparent.

Thanks, Ken. I can see the difference quite easily,now.  The extra section on top of the valve where the lines connect... looks to have a threaded cavity there...

Smitty

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 04:44 PM

I have a complete 3 point available.  It's like to one linked on eBay, complete with the adapter for sleeve hitch implements.  Drop me a note if you're interested.  (it's cheaper than the one on the 'bay)

Ken

I sent you a PM regarding you're hitch..l'm very interested in it!

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case 444, holding valve, case