#1 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 07:40 PM

Attached is an article that may help someone replacing a damaged three gear cluster in a Bolens Tube Frame Tractor with the six speed manual transmission as it is a step by step guide on how to remove the cluster - hope it helps someone. 

• Husky, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 14 others have said thanks

#2 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 08:10 PM

Now that is a great document thank you for the post.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 08:14 PM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

Interesting article, that should help alot of guys out who have never had one of these apart before.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 08:37 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Ben W.

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Good info - thanks for posting it.

I may have missed the part about removing the bottom cover to clean out all the grit from the chewed up gears,

Also, it is not necessary to remove the cowl or battery to remove the trans cover.

Lots of clear pics to help someone who hasn't been inside before.

• Bolens 1000 and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 08:29 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Good Luck, Rick

#7 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,165 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for a very useful document. I think it would be useful to have this document pinned on the forum so that it's permanently on the front page. Just a suggestion.

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 06:23 PM

That file would be good if it was put in the manual section so it can be found easily!

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 06:26 PM

I added it to our manuals section

http://gardentractor...l-installation/

Thanks 29 Chev!

• KennyP and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#10 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words - I hope to do an article in the future on how to repair the three gear cluster by replacing the small 15 tooth gear as it seems to be a weak spot in an otherwise great transmission.

"I may have missed the part about removing the bottom cover to clean out all the grit from the chewed up gears"

Unfortunately I did not mention about removing the bottom cover to clean out all the grit - definitely a great idea to get rid of contaminates and to do a very thorough job it would be a good idea to disassemble the entire transmission and clean everything.

"Also, it is not necessary to remove the cowl or battery to remove the trans cover."

The cover can be removed without removing the cowl or battery but I find I don't fight with the cover as bad and tend not to mark up the paint when I use the wooden block method.

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 07:48 PM

We have a great place for articles on the Home page here! You are welcome to use it!

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#12 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 12:35 PM

When I replaced the cluster gear in my 1053 I only removed the input shaft.  The gear came out without removing the other shaft.

Also I used the back wheels of the tractor to support the transmission, with two bottle jacks, one under each foot rest to adjust the tubes up or down.  The transmission can be rolled back off the tube fairly easily once the sweet spot is found.  Remove the right wheel lock pin so you have free wheeling.

• Bruce Dorsi and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#13 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 04:52 PM

When I replaced the cluster gear in my 1053 I only removed the input shaft.  The gear came out without removing the other shaft.

Also I used the back wheels of the tractor to support the transmission, with two bottle jacks, one under each foot rest to adjust the tubes up or down.  The transmission can be rolled back off the tube fairly easily once the sweet spot is found.  Remove the right wheel lock pin so you have free wheeling.

That's the way we use to do them.

• Bolens 1000 and chieffan have said thanks

#14 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 10:49 PM

Interesting - I tried to get the three gear cluster out of mine without removing the Hi / Lo shaft but could not get it to slip by.  What position did you have the Hi / Lo cluster in and which end of the three gear cluster do you remove first?  I assume you still have to remove the Hi / Lo shift shift rail or can it be left in place as well?

The wheels can be left on and the transmission removed as you describe - I used an engine stand on mine for a couple of reasons.  It allowed me to support the transmission at a higher level off the floor safely ( my back does not like it when I bend over that low for any length of time) and also rotate the transmission from side to side to make changing the axle seals easier as well as cleaning and painting the transmission case. 

Always great to learn a different way of doing something and getting the same or better results which is what sharing knowledge on these forums is all about in my opinion.

• blackjackjakexxix and chieffan have said thanks

#15 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 09:13 AM

29 CHEVY:

"Interesting - I tried to get the three gear cluster out of mine without removing the Hi / Lo shaft but could not get it to slip by.  What position did you have the Hi / Lo cluster in and which end of the three gear cluster do you remove first?  I assume you still have to remove the Hi / Lo shift shift rail or can it be left in place as well?"

I had to move the Hi / Lo back and for the to get it in the right position.  Same with the other gears.  The large end came out first.  I had no teeth left on the small end so that helped.  The replacement went in reverse of when the old one came out.  Guess I got real lucky on mine.  I did remove the brake disc to replace that seal, and the input shaft of course had to come clear out.

When I worked on mine I sat on a low shop stool with rollers and put the tools on an old metal serving tray.  Saved the back but gets hard on the old knees getting up and down several times.  I did not replace anything else on mine nor did I paint it.  Doing that it would be a lot handier to have it on an engine stand.  It did wash out fairly easy though using a air pressure oil can with diesel fuel in it.  Could break up the solid stuff and flush it out the back.  Great posting with some real good photos.

• 29 Chev said thank you