• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Yesterday we got around 1" of snow which normally we wouldn't bother with but lately we have been tinkering with the walk behinds and of course curious me is persistent and wanted to get one plowing snow. We have the Bolens Power Ho that dad had purchased from member Bruce Dorsi. It ran great when we bought it. Only problem is, it has probably been about two years since it has been run and of course we never turned the gas off. 

You would think we would know better but only way to learn is to punish yourself sometimes LOL. After making too many attempts to honestly admit at getting it started I finally broke down to start tearing in to it. Pulled the grill and hood off of it and checked for spark and we were definitely good there. Pulled the fuel bowl and cleaned that out and the smell of the gas was of course horrible and old smelling. Put everything back together and it still wouldn't fire. I managed to get the main jet to move and managed to get it to pop off on every pull but it wouldn't stay running. 

Got to checking the throttle cable and it wasn't moving the throttle plate on the carb. I remembered the one on the Western Auto Wizard was sticky and I grabbed the linkage by hand and after moving it a couple of times it loosened right up and moved with the throttle cable. I had to back out the main jet another half turn and it fired off. I am thinking the gas gummed up a little at the main jet causing the issues with not starting. Once it was running I adjusted the main jet lean till it started sputtering and backed it out a 1/4 turned and it seemed to run really well.

It almost fires off way too fast. When you wrap the rope and go to pull, by the time the rope is a 1/4 pulled and the engine makes one rotation it is already firing. We adjusted the shoes on the snow blade for the blacktop driveway and off we went. Attached are pictures of our plowing fun. 

DSC_0458.JPG  DSC_0460.JPG

DSC_0461.JPG  DSC_0462.JPG

DSC_0463.JPG  DSC_0464.JPG

DSC_0466.JPG  DSC_0467.JPG

DSC_0468.JPG  DSC_0469.JPG

Only downside is when I went to make the last pass with the Bolens Power Ho for the night I pushed the remnants of the pass to the side of the driveway and I caught the lip of the grass edge. Before I could push the handle bars down to get the plow bade over or even think about releasing the drive engagement lever it stalled the engine. I pulled it out into the open and wrapped the roped around it again and noticed the engine wasn't budging. Here it ripped the drive belt. 

My question is this: I know you don't want much slippage but shouldn't the belt have slipped enough to not have torn? We are new to the walk behinds so there is a good chance it is operator error and that I should have been more attentive with the drive engagement.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Bruce Dorsi and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:07 PM

Wow that is so cool to see the pics it plowing. I bet it plows great with the low gearing on it. I'd love to have a plow for mine someday.

• NUTNDUN, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:10 PM

Looks like fun George!

Glad you were able to get her going!

If you need a belt, that one I sent for the Wizard will fit this one as well. Is this the original belt when you got the machine? If so then it probably dry rotted.

With these walkbehinds they will go through anything , they will always lose traction before the engine stalls if its tuned up right.

• NUTNDUN, grand, Lauber1 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:12 PM

Now we have to get you a Versa-Matic walkbehind with reverse to complete the collection! :D

• NUTNDUN, grand, Lauber1 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:17 PM

Looks like fun George!

Glad you were able to get her going!

If you need a belt, that one I sent for the Wizard will fit this one as well. Is this the original belt when you got the machine? If so then it probably dry rotted.

With these walkbehinds they will go through anything , they will always lose traction before the engine stalls if its tuned up right.

I think I will be ordering a couple more belts just so we have them. I don't know if it was the original belt or not. It was too dark to tell. The way the belt wrapped when it tore I couldn't even budge the motor. The Bolens Power Ho does have wheel weights, chains and the tires are filled. 

• Texas Deere and Horse, Lauber1, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:19 PM

Only other thing I can think of is something got bound up in the drive. With the belt off spin the idler and rear drive pulley to see if you got a bad bearing or something.

• NUTNDUN, grand, Lauber1 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:19 PM

Its nice to see another bolens plowing snow! :thumbs:

• NUTNDUN and grand have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:29 PM

Very good photos.  I does a really nice job.  Hope my 1053 does as good - IF we ever get any snow to plow or blow.

On all my garden equipment that is only run from time to time I put Sta-bail in the gas.  Very cheep preventative.  The gas we are getting today is junk stuff.  No one knows how much of the 'wash' out of the pipeline goes into the gas tanks.  Use Sta-bail and gas gum troubles are over.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:31 PM

It did a great job plowing and I only had it just barely above idle during plowing. I know that you shouldn't really run them that low in the rpm but with my daughter plowing also I wanted it to be as slow as possible.

A Versa-matic walk behind with reverse would be awesome. It wasn't easy to walk it backwards at least not on slick blacktop.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Very good photos.  I does a really nice job.  Hope my 1053 does as good - IF we ever get any snow to plow or blow.

On all my garden equipment that is only run from time to time I put Sta-bail in the gas.  Very cheep preventative.  The gas we are getting today is junk stuff.  No one knows how much of the 'wash' out of the pipeline goes into the gas tanks.  Use Sta-bail and gas gum troubles are over.

We normally use seafoam but I can't say for sure that we had actually added any to this one. We need to do a much better job at maintaining all of them. Went to fire up the Massey MF12 and the battery was dead and we just ran that one not long ago. Once you get more than a handful I don't know how some of you guys do it with keeping them in running shape.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:46 PM

It did a great job plowing and I only had it just barely above idle during plowing. I know that you shouldn't really run them that low in the rpm but with my daughter plowing also I wanted it to be as slow as possible.

A Versa-matic walk behind with reverse would be awesome. It wasn't easy to walk it backwards at least not on slick blacktop.

You probably already know this but speed can be changed on these by loosening or tightening the nut with spring washer on the sheave attached to the gear reduction case.

• NUTNDUN, grand and Lauber1 have said thanks

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:56 PM

You probably already know this but speed can be changed on these by loosening or tightening the nut with spring washer on the sheave attached to the gear reduction case.

I didn't know but what is funny is I mentioned something to dad last night that I wonder if something with that pulley and nut would do anything. I was thinking more along the lines of slippage adjustment but that is awesome to know the speed can be adjusted that way. The walk behind tractors are a completely new thing for us so every step is a new one.

• grand said thank you

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 08:20 PM

You should have had that thing in Buffalo a month ago.

I have several factory sales brochures for a Power Ho if you want them for free.I also have one for a Handi Ho and two for a Gardener.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#14 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 09:48 PM

George:

Brian has already said most of the things I was going to say.

The belt that broke was on the tractor for the several years I used it for snow.  ....The spare belt I had is still tied to the handle in your pic.  ......Both of these belts are more than 30 years old.  .....There is no doubt today's Kevlar-reinforced belts are stronger.

....The belt size is 5/8" x 57".

Another thing to check is the pulley groove for coarse rust which acts as an abrasive against the belt.

Yes, the engine pulley is adjustable, but it's probably rusted together since it was probably never changed since the tractor was new.

As Brian said, if the engine is running well, the tires will spin before the engine will stall.

The hood & grille help to keep wet snow from shorting-out the sparkplug.

• Bolens 1000 and Lauber1 have said thanks

#15 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:59 AM

As long as you can muscle them around, the Power Ho's can do a lot, as you can see on the fine job it did on your driveway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, power ho