#1 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,362 Thanks
  • 3,800 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:25 PM

Had kind of an interesting day Monday and thought I'd share.  GTTalk was solely responsible in getting the ball rolling on this "event"  so I felt compelled to bore ya'll with the details.  :smilewink:

I'm pretty much laid off in the winter time.  I can be called in at any time but its a rare occasion.  With the State of Misery [Missouri] temps aligning with someplace north of the artic circle,  I'm generally confined to the house or shop, cuddled close to a source of heat.   Outtings in this season are very rare.   Outside work or play must wait for warmer weather so my joints remain fluid.  Monday being a holiday,  I knew there was zero chance I'd be working so the plan was set in motion.   I get paid holidays while I'm laid off in the winter - go figure!

Newer member here "chieffan" recently acquired some 2-wheelers in a package deal where he had to take all or nothing.   This left him with more tractors than he needed for his garden chores but still short on some attachments that would come in handy for gardening and other yard work.  You can see where this is heading....  We did some trading, and I'm happy to report that the Blackhawk tractor in his recent posts has been adopted by me. 

Since we live three hours apart, we met somewhere close to half way, at a convience store for the swap.  I have a friend Ronnie that recently retired.  He lives 42 miles from me so we don't get to see each other often enough and I had the bright idea to stop and pick him up on the way since my travel was taking me right by his place.  I fired an email off to Ronnie and he seemed glad for the opportunity to get some "Kris time", as I put it.   We had a good chat while heading to Iowa for the swap.  Temps were unseasonably warm that day.

After the exchange we headed south and stopped at an antique mall then on to a very small town's cafe for lunch.  The food was excellent!  Ronnie lives near an Amish settlement and was telling me of an Amish small engine and mower shop that was restoring a Bantam garden tractor for a customer.   He offered to take me by and show me the bantam as he knows the Amish owner very well. 

Didn't have to think about that one too long!

What I found was a beautifully restored Bantam 5 horse tractor.  The fellow that painted it really went all out and it was a treat just to look at it.  There were a few odds and ends yet to do but that thing is a real show stopper.  I didn't know the tractors owner but hope he takes it to the local shows this year. If he does I probably should leave my ratty old Bantam at home.  :(

The Shop owner took us out to the pasture and showed us his Studebaker 2 wheeler.  He kind of let on like he'd sell but I already have a bunch of Gravelys so I didn't pursue it. It was a base model 6.6 with no governor and no electric start.  We thanked the man for showing us around and headed out. 

Once on the road, Ronnie pulls out his cell and makes a call.  He has a friend that has quite a collection of old iron.  Nothing is for sale and no one gets a tour but since Ronnie is good friends with the guy I got the royal treatment!   This guy is around 70 years old and I got the impression he grew up on that same parcel of real estate.  There were old cars, trucks, and tractors sitting everywhere!

We pull in what is supposed to be the driveway and there are holes bigger than my pickup! I had to weave my way in, dodging the water holes.  I'm sure there hasn't been a load of gravel dumped on that drive since WW-II - and maybe never.  When this guy is done with something he parks it and there it stays.  

I was in awe! 

He showed me a '28 John Deere D that he said there was nothing wrong with it the day he parked it in that spot.  He had been in a nearby town running a thresher for a show.  After hauling it home he unloaded it and it hasn't been moved since. There was a very small amount of green paint on the top of the radiator but the rest is surface rust.  Steel wheels are sunk 8 inches or more into the ground.  I offered to jack it up out of the ground and block the wheels so they didn't rot out.  He didn't seem interested.  Engine was locked of course.

In front of an old 4 wheeled farm wagon I found what I believe is an  I-H "M" hit-N-miss engine - upside down and nearly half sunk in the dirt.  He said that was a good engine and it was sitting on that wagon until the boards rotted and dumped the engine.  It lit upside down just like you see it. 

I spotted a red convertible and went over to check it out.  It had sunk to where the rocker panels are even with the ground and the top rotted away many years ago.  There was a slight effort made to keep the water out with some used barn tin but I'm sure there are no floorboards left.  When I peeked inside I saw it was a 4 speed car.  That got my interest up quite a bit!  I stepped back - it says Fairlane on the quarter panel.  Hmmm,  by looking at the taillights when approaching I was thinking 65 or 66 Galaxie.  I wonder what is in front of that 4 speed.....

I walked around the front and it has chrome inserts down both sides of the hood..... 

Wholly crap!  390 in a [smaller] car such as a Fairlane?  

I asked the guy:    "Did that car go fast?"

Straight faced and somber he says:  "Oh, it'd go about 90"

I say:  "You must have only wanted to go 90 because I'm sure that car would go faster than that"

He nonchalantly says:  "Then I'd hit fourth and it'd just fry the back tires"

I turn to look at him and he's grinning from ear to ear. 

Turns out he bought that car brand new in 66 and he says it has the 375 horse 390.  What a fun car that one would be!  The body is straight as an arrow.  I'd love to jack it up out of the dirt as well - even though I know I'll never get the chance to own it.

There was [most] of another John Deere D, 2 SC Case's, a VAC Case, 10-20 McCormic Deering, a cane press that is the biggest one I've ever seen.  It has three drums and is still mounted on poles about four feet high right where they used to operate it many years ago.  I saw an very early reaper and a ground driven corn picker.  There was also a '58 or '59 GMC 1/2 ton with a great body.  Still had the name on the doors and the last name was the same as the fellow that was showing me around.   I didn't ask but it very well could have been his fathers.  Also present but under a roof was a D2 cat dozer and a '46 Jeep flat fender.  This place was a real time capsule. 

Although sad that nothing is for sale, I firmly believe that is his right.  Those items are his to do with as he pleases.  I do wish he had better means to preserve them.   He is an old bachelor and my understanding is he has a sister.  He stated that after he dies his sister will probably "just let everything rot down". 

I was trying not to laugh when he continued, "I've been doing a pretty good job of it myself"

Sorry,  I didn't get any pictures. I did have my camera with me but I'm certain pictures wouldn't be allowed.   I will not divulge where this place is -  just picture it in your mind as I described the items.

What a fun day it was for me.

The entire time we were looking at treasures there were dozens of State Patrol and Sherrif cars going by.  We knew something was up and heard later on the news that the law had a bad guy cornered just down the road a few miles.  He was wanted in another state for attempted murder.  They knew right where he was because they brought in a helecopter with thermal energy images and found him but he was armed.  The law was waiting him out so he'd be cold and hungry enough to surrender, which he eventually did and no shots were fired.  

I took Ronnie home and headed for the home place, arriving just before dark.  Pushed the Blackhawk in the shop and closed the doors on a very enjoyable day.

Thanks for reading. 

Edited by Gtractor, January 23, 2015 - 03:58 AM.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, DougT and 13 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,581 Thanks
  • 38,979 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:42 PM

Sounds like a very fun day! Glad you got to meet a member and spend time with a friend!

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:54 PM

Sounds like you had a great Monday

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,858 Thanks
  • 3,103 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Great story,  Noel

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 05:34 PM

If only every Monday could be like that. Glad you had an enjoyable day and got to see all the stuff on the fella's property. Pictures would have been awesome but completely understandable respecting him even showing you around. 

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,192 Thanks
  • 29,682 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:09 PM

What a great story, and thanks for sharing.  That was a lot of typing.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Did you change your name to Mike Wolf today?  Or were you Frankie? 

Sounds like a fun day, Kris. 

Ben W.

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 1,856 Thanks
  • 1,051 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 10:04 PM

Very fun day you had, Kris! That old gent's place would be a blast to see! I would have a special love for the GMC and the story with it, but every item has a story all it's own. The stuff is his to do with as he wants, but I wouldn't doubt his sister will just call in a crusher to clean it up.

There was an old farmer down near my in-laws little town right on the highway that had lots of cool junk from Ag equipment, trucks, cars and even some old heavy equipment. Last summer we loaded a lawn tractor in the '55 and headed down there to give it to my father-in-law and as we neared that spot I loved looking at there was smoke rising. When we got there all was gone and the house and pole barn was burned down to smoldering coals. I asked the in-laws what happened and it was tough to hear. The old boy had taken ill with a small chance to ever be able to care for himself again. He was put in a nursing home and his kids felt they had to liquidate everything right away to pay for his care, which I certainly don't doubt. A Rapid City scrap yard came with a portable crusher and crushed all the iron for scrap, livestock was sold and the interested party on the land told them they would buy it if the house and shop were removed, so they just burned it and hauled the remains to a fill after we had gone back home. All the years of living and working there were erased in about 2 weeks according to the in-laws.

Sorry about the bummer story after your fun one but this is how a lot of that kind of stuff ends up unfortunately. Worst part is there is another scrap yard here that would have given them scrap price and hauled it away to sell parts but they didn't get the call.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#9 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 10:18 PM

But you didn't tell the part about the two hikers who told law enforcement where the guy was & it still took them two hours to get there!   :D

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#10 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:29 AM

Sound great, I had a day like that up in Maine that I will remember forever.

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,041 Thanks
  • 4,971 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 09:05 AM

Sounds like a fun day.

But, People who let stuff sit in rot in their yard drive me insane.  Seen so many nice cars, tractors, bikes, ect just rot away because the owner "was going to do something with it some day" 

Me and a buddy became friends with an old fella who had a junkyard.  In his back high fenced in lot separate from the regular yard he had his "special" cars.  Well his special cars there was nothing newer than 1975 and chocked full of ever muscle car you could think of, but you guessed it, they were all sunk in the ground and rotted.  I spotted quite a few cars I'd like to have, but they were too far gone, and he "was going to do something with them some day"