17 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Does anyone know of a source for the wooden rollers on the back of a reel mower?  Mine are 2.5" diameter, 4 5/16" long, and have a 5/8" hole in the center.  I need 10 of them.

If not, does anyone know how they are made? Are they made in two parts, one fitting inside the other but with the grain turned 90 degrees?

DSCF8643.JPG DSCF8644.JPG DSCF8545.JPG DSCF8547.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF8645.JPG

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:06 PM

Do you know anyone with a wood lathe in your area? I thought I seen not long ago someone else posted about making some of their own wooden rollers for their reel mower.

• boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and VintageIronCollector have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:12 PM

I was going to make some in the future. I have a wood lathe and some dry iron wood that I was going to use. I fixed some plastic rollers years ago by boring them out alittle bit and heating them(so they'd expand). I then pressed in a piece of copper pipe that fit the axle. Good Luck, Rick

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:54 PM

This would be a simple job for a woodworker with a lathe. If you could find someone in your area you would save a bunch on shipping. Here is an idea you might want to consider using rolling pins.

http://aroundtheyard...ins-t12676.html

• Alc and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 03:50 PM

It sounds simple enough to make them on a lathe, until you realize there is a 5/8" hole that runs lengthwise exactly in the middle.  That means I would need to find a wood lathe with a three jaw chuck.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:07 PM

If you have the tools it can be done. I made mine for my Bolens Reels

Took some cured maple firewood and turned them down to size, then used a 3 jaw chuck to drill the holes.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and superaben have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:10 PM

If you have a drill press you could use it as a verticle lathe. Drill the center hole through the piece that you want to turn. Put a threaded rod through the work piece and lock it on with nuts. Chuck the rod in the drill press and support the other end of the rod at the table with a makeshift bearing( a bushing pressed into a 2 x 4 block works). You can use a sharp chisel for the cutting. Be patient and carefull. I see wood lathes on CL for under $100. Good Luck, Rick

• Nato77, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:15 PM

I have made several sets for full size Simplicity GT decks, but no longer have access to a lathe.  I made mine from scrap maple strips, glued and pressed, then turned down.  My oldest set has been in use for 17 years on the 2110 my old man has borrowed from me for nearly as long.

I liked making my own because I could build them a bit larger dia than the OEM plastic/rubber ones, giving me more deck height and still using the factory height adjust.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:50 PM

Does anyone know of a source for the wooden rollers on the back of a reel mower?  Mine are 2.5" diameter, 4 5/16" long, and have a 5/8" hole in the center.  I need 10 of them.

If not, does anyone know how they are made? Are they made in two parts, one fitting inside the other but with the grain turned 90 degrees?

Most of the wooden rollers for reel mowers were made from ash or hard-maple.  ...However, any dried hardwood should be suitable, as you will probably never wear them out in the next 20 years!

Rollers were turned from one piece of wood - not made in two parts.  .....If you decide to make your own, never use the center (pith) of a log or branch, as that is where splits usually occur as the wood dries.  .....If two thinner pieces of wood are glued together (grain running same direction) to get the required thickness, a waterproof glue would need to be used to keep the pieces from falling apart.  ....One piece of wood is definitely a better choice.  

Any woodworking shop in your area, or a hobbyist woodturner could make them for you.  ....Ask at any local tool stores selling woodworking tools if they know of anyone who can make them.  ....Some of the bigger woodworking tool sellers have demo shops in their stores, so maybe someone there would be willing to make them.  ....Any woodworking clubs in your area?

• Alc, boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:51 PM

If you have a drill press you could use it as a verticle lathe. Drill the center hole through the piece that you want to turn. Put a threaded rod through the work piece and lock it on with nuts. Chuck the rod in the drill press and support the other end of the rod at the table with a makeshift bearing( a bushing pressed into a 2 x 4 block works). You can use a sharp chisel for the cutting. Be patient and carefull. I see wood lathes on CL for under $100. Good Luck, Rick

BE CAREFUL using a drill press for a wood lathe.  That is a real good way to get hurt.  Not what they were made for.  Use a wood lathe or have someone with a lathe do the job for you.   I could turn them for you in the next day or two but the shipping would be clear out of the ball park.

• boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:50 PM

I always had them made out of maple. 

There is a Mennonite gentleman in my area who has the talent to make them.

Ben W.

• Alc, boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#12 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 01:50 AM

It looks like the end rollers are worn. Can you slide them off the shaft and put the worn ones toward the middle and good ones on the ends?
  • boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#13 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 07:20 PM

It looks like the end rollers are worn. Can you slide them off the shaft and put the worn ones toward the middle and good ones on the ends?

No, in fact, that is the problem.  The shaft ends are worn & I can't get the rollers off to replace the rod. I have looked for pins, etc, but there is nothing other than 2 feet of rust holding the rollers onto the rod.  

#14 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 01:56 AM

If you drill a clearance hole for the rod in a short 2X4 block you might be able to stand it vertically with one end of the rod in the block and tap the other end with a hammer to break the rust free. Put a block of softer metal or hardwood on the end of the rod you are tapping to prevent peening the end of the rod. Make sure the bottom roller is against the 2X4 block all around to prevent stress on one side only. Many light taps are less likely to break a roller than heavy whacks.

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,685 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 08:09 AM

A metal lathe will turn wood.