• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 06:14 PM

I'm almost finished with my tractor & will be posting pics soon. I have a problem keeping my lever in the Start/Park position. When I let go of the brake pedal the lever moves back into the middle area. I have tried adjusting the parking brake adjusting rod where it goes into the ferrule in both directions to increase & shorten the throw of the lever. This doesn't help. When I adjusted to give me more rod length it was hard to push the lever back & it wanted to snap back in the middle. When I adjusted to give me less rod length it was really loose but still wanted to go back in the middle. I have checked everything to make sure I put everything back right. The only spring on this is the spring to pull the pedal back after releasing. 

The only other thing I can think of is the brake pad adjustment....maybe my brake pedal isn't going far enough when applying the brakes. Since I haven't seen or heard anyone else complain about this I'm thinking it's got to be something I'm missing. Thanks for your response

Jim

Edited by Sawdust, January 21, 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 09:03 PM

I've had trouble with those levers and never got fixed either, but never looked real hard. One I had kept making tractor move in the park position if  you tried to use it.  There IS a lot of levers and links on these things. Makes you wonder how they thunk them up!

#3 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 10:10 PM

I got the tranny adjusted up good, push the brake it goes in neutral & wheels stop. I would hate to do it but I could probably install a catch of some kind next to the lever to hold it in the park position.

#4 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 10:33 PM

The lower bracket that is welded onto the park brake that the link rod attaches to is probably bent a bit. It is actually supposed to go over-center to make it stay in position. That might be a place to look. I have one laying on the floor if you would like me to measure the angles and see if yours is in the same plane. 

• TheFarm2004 and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 08:21 AM

I had that problem too. It's been a while since I messed with it so I can't picture it exactly at the moment but I do remember that mine clearly did go over center but still kicked back.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#6 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 10:34 AM

Thanks guys for your help.
mrmr56 that sounds possible that the angle could be bent not allowing the lever to put enough pressure to hold the brake. It may be a few days before I can look at it. I'll take the lever off & measure the angle to compare to yours. Thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 01:20 AM

Sawdust, was looking on epay and found about 5 diff linkage sets for sale for the park brake. Looks like must have been a couple diff kinds over years. Prices weren't too bad on most. Lots of other parts there this week also. Seems like someone wanted a remote filter mount for hydros and were 4 of those offered too and pretty cheap, some with hoses.

• Sawdust said thank you

#8 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 31, 2015 - 11:24 PM

I seen those GL. I copied & blew up some of the pics. I counted threads on the linkage & most had the same threaded area behind the ferrule. It's been too cold lately to do anything. Thanks

#9 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 02:49 PM

Well as they say persistence pays off. I have adjusted this lever from top to bottom 1/2" at a time & still no explanation on why the lever snaps back releasing the brake pedal when I let go of it. While crawling out from under it last night I realized the lever looked low in the slot keeping it from going back to it's full travel. Its been like this since I rebuilt the tractor. This pic shows it after I raised it up. You can see the paint worn showing how low it was in the slot.

Brake lever.jpg

I put a bottle jack with a piece of 2x2 wood under the bracket that the lever is mounted to & jacked it up to bend it upward. This would raise the lever so it would travel back farther. I jacked it up until the rear wheels came off the ground...still not enough. I sat on it carefully to bring the tractor back down causing this to bend the tab up more. First try I pushed the brake, slid the lever back & let go of the lever & it stayed. I hope this helps others because it has been frustrating having to put a wood wedge in the lever slot to hold the brake on while parked. Thanks again to everyone that chimed in over the year to help.

Attached File  Lever tab.pdf   4.84MB   18 downloads

• TheFarm2004, KennyP, VTXrider and 1 other said thanks

#10 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted May 18, 2016 - 03:44 PM

Hey, good to see that you finally got it to work right.

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 19, 2016 - 06:14 AM

Sometimes the smallest things can cause the biggest head aches on these tractors. Sometimes a design flaw or a previous owner made a "modification" that has to be figured out and rectified. Glad you found and fixed it!

• Sawdust said thank you