Just wanted to re-introduce myself

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDeere214 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6990
  • 57 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 08:34 AM

LOL  Been a Looooooong while since Ive posted here just too much real life going on(work, bills, usual stuff) and then kind of got burnt out on the hobby but the coals are starting to smolder again LOL

Anyway quick update on tractor situation

1)214 Hydraulic still doing fine, besides doing some tilling this spring also had 2 tandem loads of gravel delivered ahd had to use box blade to spread and smooth for the driveway.  Planning to work on another section of the drive this spring with this setup

2)317 with Magnum18 engine still running good  working on rebuilding the deck at present will try to post pics in new thread at some point.

3)214 bought last summer not running for $75.  PO said it quit running, I asked if it went BOOM or just quit.  He said no unusual noise, got it home and no compression, pulled head and piston not moving.  Pulled oil pan and many many little con rod pieces there so me thinks it did go boom!!!

4)317 with KT17 series 2  PO said it ran and it did.  Also said hydro made noise  it did .  Drained fluid and it was low on fluid and black as dirty motor oil.  changed fluid and filter and that fixed hydro noise but motor smokes badly and blows oil out of crankcase breather while under load.  compression is around 85psi so hoping just needs rings as i cant afford total rebuild with pistons at $200 each

Anyway thanks for reading will try to post more and figure out which project to tackle next  LOL

• NUTNDUN, Gtractor, lyall and 11 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,600 Thanks
  • 38,985 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 08:55 AM

Glad to see you back! Sounds like you have a few things to keep busy!

• JohnDeere214 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 09:19 AM

Welcome back. I have a 317 with a series 1 KT17. It doesn't smoke a lot accept at start up but if it gets hot it will puke oil out the breather all over the place. It has the updated crankcase breather assembly but still does it. I really need to repower it soon. 

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,457 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 09:32 AM

Welcome back. The smoking engine may be cured with Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) in the gas( 1 tbs per gallon). As you run it, it will slowly remove carbon from the combustion chamber and the piston. This can loosen up the rings and drastically cut smoking and raise the compression. The MMO has worked well on many engines (big and small) for me over the last 47 years. Good Luck, Rick

• JohnDeere214, TomLGT195 and Oldford have said thanks

#5 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 11:21 AM

Welcome back.

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,738 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 04:12 PM

welcome back , Tom

• JohnDeere214 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,635 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 07:07 PM

Welcome back.  I've had a few times I have gotten burned out on something and let it go for awhile then after as while decide to get back into it.

• JohnDeere214, boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks