Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote for Featured Tractor February 2015

voting featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now for Featured Tractor for February 2015! (118 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote now for Featured Tractor for February 2015!

1. Bolens Estate Keeper - Bolens 1000 (32 votes [27.12%])

Percentage of vote: 27.12%

2. Bolens Ridemaster - Bob IN (15 votes [12.71%])

Percentage of vote: 12.71%

3. Cub Cadet 70 - backwoods (5 votes [4.24%])

Percentage of vote: 4.24%

4. John Deere 165 - tinbender7 (4 votes [3.39%])

Percentage of vote: 3.39%

5. Wheel Horse RJ58 - fairlead (17 votes [14.41%])

Percentage of vote: 14.41%

6. Ford LGT 100 - propane1 (17 votes [14.41%])

Percentage of vote: 14.41%

7. John Deere 110 - johndeereelfman (18 votes [15.25%])

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

8. Sears David Bradley 725 - TAHOE (10 votes [8.47%])

Percentage of vote: 8.47%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 02:51 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of February has now officially started. This month's theme is "Best Original".

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of February and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 8 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• Bolens Estate Keeper - Bolens 1000
  • Bolens Ridemaster - Bob IN
  • Cub Cadet 70 - backwoods
  • John Deere 165 - tinbender7
  • Wheel Horse RJ58 - fairlead
  • Ford LGT 100 - propane1
  • John Deere 110 - johndeereelfman
  • Sears David Bradley 725 - TAHOE

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,441 Thanks
  • 17,085 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 03:13 PM

This post has been published as an article: February 2015: Bolens Estate Keeper

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5481.JPG
  • DSCN5467.JPG
  • DSCN5470.JPG
  • DSCN5471.JPG
  • DSCN5472.JPG
  • DSCN5474.JPG

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, rustyoldjunk and 25 others have said thanks

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 03:29 PM

Im nominating my bolens ridemaster. I am the 3rd owner of this machine. The gentleman I bought it from bought a farm and this went with it. He used it from then on for odd jobs and garden work. I got many original attachments with it including, rear plow, cultivators, and a front snow blade. He used it in the winter of 78 to plow his driveway.

I bought it not running. He said it ran fine when parked. It had sat for a few years. Had lots of dust on it. Got it on the trailer (that's a job). Got it home and put gas in it and drove it off the trailer. (I just should have taken some gas and drove it on). All four tires are original. Runs and drives great. In the first picture it is sitting beside my other ridemaster which is all original as well. I am ready to take it to some shows next year and see what people think. Its original all the way down to oil bath air cleaner decal. Its been used, but its also been taken very well care of.

Attached Thumbnails

• bobs ridemaster.jpg
  • bobs ridemaster 2.jpg
  • bobs ridemaster 3.jpg
  • bolens ridemaster 4.jpg

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, olcowhand and 24 others have said thanks

#4 backwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8613
  • 2,049 Thanks
  • 2,429 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 10:39 AM

Id like to nominate my 1963 Cub Cadet model 70. I'm the third ower of the beatiful untouched tractor, I bought it from a friend who purchased it along with two more from the original owners. Lucky for me all I had to do was clean the carb an its ran great since. I use it now to plow snow in the winter an help move non running cars in the summer.
I plan to start attending local shows with it this summer. Fixing the minor fuel leak is next on the list for repairs. An maybe restore it someday which I have mixed feelings about. Along with gathering up some attachments for it to make it more versatile for chores.

Edited by backwoods, January 04, 2015 - 11:27 AM.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Grumpy and 16 others have said thanks

#5 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 11:35 PM

I would like to nominate my 1985 John Deere 165. It has been in my family since new, my uncle bought it new in Nov. 1984 I have the bill of sale and all the service records. It has been pretty much trouble free since new. I have owned it since Oct 2011 and have used it as a back up mower, it has the 38" deck and my other mowers have 42" & 50" so I use them mostly. My wife came when I was mowing and said do you realize you have used 3 different tractors to mow with.That is the fun of having more then 1 tractor to do the job. 

The JD has the small pull behind dump trailer that is quite rare looks like somebody put a tow bar on a wheelbarrow. My uncle that bought this tractor new used it to mow around the house on a large farm in Ohio, when he gave it to me I had it hauled from Ohio to Fla. where I live now.

All I have done to it since I have had it is change the oil, replace a front tire, and use a pressure washer to clean it. My uncle was here one day and could not believe that  all I had done is pressure wash it, he thought I would paint it, but it looks nice and gets it's share of complements at the shows. I have painted all the other tractors I own but this does not need it. good to have one that is original.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2995.JPG
  • IMG_2999.JPG
  • IMG_3180.JPG
  • IMG_6062.JPG

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Grumpy and 15 others have said thanks

#6 fairlead OFFLINE  

• Member No: 65404
  • 67 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 02:59 PM

Here's my nomination= a 1958 Wheel Horse RJ58.  I acquired this tractor from my best friend who owns a small engine repair in Grand Rapids, MI.  It was donated by a customer, trying to get rid of some trash.  It appears to have been out doors for many, many years.

Upon bringing 'er home to Manistee, I did the usual, cleaned the points, and the carburetor.  I had to substitute some Tecumseh parts in the carb.  It has a 4 hp. Kohler engine in it.  It starts with one pull.  As of last year, one of the rear tires had the sidewall blow out, so I am currently seeking a used 6x12 to replace it with.  I also am considering selling it, as I am running out of room.14 jun 09 008.JPG 30 jun 09 002.JPG

• olcowhand, Grumpy, Gtractor and 13 others have said thanks

#7 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,858 Thanks
  • 3,099 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 04:49 PM

I will put in my 1973 ford lgt 100.  It has the 10 hp Kohler in it. This tractor is used for plowing, disking cultivating and hauling things around the yard. Some times it goes for wood and maybe just for a drive.  Its great for cultivating and hilling potatoes because it's so slow in the creeper gear that you can watch what your doing and dont have to have a foot on the hydro all the time.

I bought this tractor and another one the same as it for parts. Both electric pto's worked, so that was worth the price I payed for them.  The engine was just sitting in one not bolted in. In the other the 90 degree gear box was tore apart and the engine seemed all there.  I check the oil in the good engine and it was clean as if some one had just changed it. So I figured I would see if it would run. Carb was in bad shape so I put some gas in the spark plug hole, put the plug back in and it started and sounded good for the time it ran. I shouted out " it's alive" so the tractors name became Frankie. Any way changed the gear box from the other parts tractor, did a few other things to it and has been going ever since. It rarely give any trouble. The engine smoked some, so I put a few additives into it and changed to oil a few times and it's not so bad now, but still have to add oil now and then, plus clean the plug some, but that's ok.   Noel   

Oh, and I use it for snowplowing some.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 016.jpg
  • Picture 649.jpg
  • Picture 671.jpg
  • Picture 674.jpg

Edited by propane1, January 06, 2015 - 04:51 PM.

• olcowhand, Grumpy, Gtractor and 16 others have said thanks

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 06:59 PM

I'll add my 1973 John Deere 110 to the contest this month. I acquired this tractor about five or six years ago from my boss. He wanted to get the 10hp Kohler engine rebuilt, due to it having a slight rattle about half throttle. After he found out how much it would cost him to rebuild it, he decided to offer it to me as a parts tractor. Not knowing much about the tractor or it's history, I thought it was fair to offer him what the going rate was at the time for a good transmission. He accepted, and I loaded it up and headed home.

A few weeks later I decided to investigate this tractor, as this was the first flat fender 110 that I've ever owned. Seeing how I didn't know much about them, I thought I'd try and learn about it, by starting to open up the engine and find a cause for the rattle. As it turns out, I found that the connecting rod bolts have started to back out. I replaced the locking tab washers with new ones, tightened the bolts, and reinstalled the oil pan with a new gasket. After starting the engine, I couldn't hear the rattle that my boss said was there, so I guess the problem was fixed, however, I did find a new problem, and that was, the oil pan drain plug was stripped, and I'd have to find an oil pan replacement. After a couple of days, the engine was complete and sounded really good. 

For the next couple of years, the tractor had to sit outside in the weather, due to not having enough room in the sheds for it. Hated to do it, but I didn't have much choice. Well, now with the new house and bigger garage, I was finally able to make room for the 110 indoors. The weather however, wasn't good on the tractors finish, so one afternoon, I decided to see what I could do in bringing back the original shine. Turned out pretty well I think, although the tractor is far from perfect. This will be one that will stay original, and will never see a restoration as long as I own it. Not even sure that I want to attempt to touch up the rough spots.

Play Concert and Tractors 042.JPG Play Concert and Tractors 043.JPG

Play Concert and Tractors 045.JPG Play Concert and Tractors 046.JPG

Play Concert and Tractors 047.JPG

• olcowhand, Grumpy, Gtractor and 14 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,414 Thanks
  • 4,879 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 08:57 AM

I will throw my/ my son's 1964 Sears/DB 725 in the ring.

My boy was wanting to get a tractor of his own, he wanted to do a restoration as a 4H project for our county fair.

I had a buddy who has oh probably 30 old Sears GT's, he had this '64. He always wanted a 61-62, but ended up with this one. After talking to him, he said he would sell me this one for $150 including a DB 3pt hitch setup....SCORE! :rocker2: Tractor had sat at his place for over a year with out being started. We pour a little gas in her, few pulls and she fired right up, aired up a front tire and drove on trailer.

Only drawback is when he bought it, the belt cover was on and did not discover there was no reverse pulley/belt until he had gotten home. You could see someone had removed it. Other than the exhaust being change and those old Nelson's are really hard to find and $$$, it's pretty much an all original tractor.

Once we get it home, we do some adjustments, steering needs a complete rebuild. It took me almost a year and a half to find a reverse set up, some of you know that fiasco with the GT graveyard I dealt with. I ended up paying more for the reverse pulley/bracket and new grill than the whole tractor.

We got the reverse all mounted and working well, belt cover back on. She runs great when we get it started, but a little fussy starting probably cause we only start every 2-3 months, and when you shut it down, gas drips out of carb so we have to make sure petcok is shut off after using it. I hate to fool with that updraft Briggs as she runs so well, but we will have to do it someday due to the leaks. I am on a lookout for a starter/gen setup so we can get rid of the pull start and hopefully my son gets a fire under his tail and we can start restoring the ole girl. It does need a good working over especially the steering, steering wheel, and gear selector, but it does run and do light work. We also have some front Tri-ribs that still needs mounting.

She only moves about 4mph top speed with the variable speed selection, but I enjoy driving it.

My sister does some cake decorating, she made his 16th yr old bday cake to look like tractor.

64 db 725 4.jpg

64db 725 2.jpg

64 db 725 3.jpg

64 db 725 5.jpg

64 db 725 7.jpg

64 db 725 9.jpg

64 db 725 8.jpg

64 db 725 cake.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, January 14, 2015 - 09:02 AM.

• Grumpy, Gtractor, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 07:30 AM

Let the voting begin. :D

• Bolens 1000, EricFromPa, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#11 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,117 Thanks
  • 5,663 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 07:11 AM

This is going to be tough!

• VintageIronCollector and propane1 have said thanks

#12 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,218 Thanks
  • 1,747 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 05:37 PM

This is going to be tough!

Yes it is!

• propane1 said thank you

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,117 Thanks
  • 5,663 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 10:20 AM

Looks like a run-away for the Estate Keeper.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,641 Thanks
  • 28,301 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 10:34 PM

Third time I've looked this over. Have it narrowed down to 8...
  • Alc, KennyP, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

• Member No: 66960
  • 858 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted January 28, 2015 - 02:30 PM

I am new and a fan of David Bradleys - But that Bolens EK is one fantastic looking machine . What A find.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voting, featured, tractor