11 replies to this topic

#1 boli51 OFFLINE  

boli51
  • Member No: 47909
  • 37 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 09:32 PM

0117151240.jpg 0117151242.jpg 0117151243.jpg 0117151240a.jpg 0730141119.jpg

This is the sickle that came with the L1 pictured. Anyone know where you can get sections and ledger plates? however the more I investigate it the ledger plates come already installed in the rock guards. The 4th picture is a sickle from a larger machine I think, could have been a simplicity but not sure. I could not find any tags or numbers on either. It is important to have the wear plates in good shape (not worn) but I think I can fab those myself. The last pic is the L1 with a cultivator behind it that I wrestled from the salvage yard. Again no tags but it hooks up just fine and even did some work in the garden last fall. Would appreciate any info or comments.

Thanks ahead
  • boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 10:06 PM

You might try a BCS dealer. They are Italian made and built the same way.  I have a BCS and a DB but have not compared the two.

• boli51 said thank you

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 10:29 PM

the first and 4th picture are mowers made by Midland for Wards or there own brand of machine. The two in the center are a mower made by Simplicity, mostly used with there brand, Wards and Waterbury machines. Most of the makers of GT equipment outsourced things like shovels for cultivators and items like the sickle sections and snakeheads(rock guards to some), to vendors like Planet Jr, Brinly and Jari. Once in a while you can find shovels marked Planet jr or in the case of plow shares, the name Blout. Bolens, DB, Simplicity and a host of other all pretty much used the same hardware from these vendors. You can usually just find another mower, remove the sections off its bar and rerivit them to yours.

• grand, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,746 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 07:58 AM

I have both the same sickles for my Wards ChorTrac walk behind. I think the one in pic three is older. Check the Manuals Section for info. Good Luck, Rick 

• boli51 said thank you

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 04:22 PM

You might give Webb's Sickle Service a try.

https://www.sickleservice.com/

I got a new cutter bar with knife sections from them for a Haban Sickle-Mo.

• boli51 said thank you

#6 boli51 OFFLINE  

boli51
  • 37 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Thanks much for the info I'm going to contact the "sickleservice" and see what they have to offer. Is it possible that they could rework the current parts? I know they are hard steel but its might be worth a shot. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

Garden season is almost here.

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Make sure you sickle hold down are snug against the sickle sections.  If they are, it will allow the sickle to ride up and not cut.  Some have shims, some you just smack with a hammer, and others have an adjusting bolt and lock nut to adjust the hold down pressure.  Good luck.

• Lauber1, boyscout862 and boli51 have said thanks

#8 boli51 OFFLINE  

boli51
  • 37 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Make sure you sickle hold down are snug against the sickle sections.  If they are, it will allow the sickle to ride up and not cut.  Some have shims, some you just smack with a hammer, and others have an adjusting bolt and lock nut to adjust the hold down pressure.  Good luck.

Yea your exactly right. Both have hold downs and shims/wear plates and they are in poor shape. I think I might be able to fab those myself if I cant find them somewhere.

Thanks for the heads up.

#9 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 09:23 PM

I have a sickle bar that I got off a Bolens in a salvage yard.  What parts do you need?

• boli51 said thank you

#10 boli51 OFFLINE  

boli51
  • 37 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 09:37 PM

0119151414a.jpg

I'm looking for the sections, hold downs and shims/wear plates. One of the post by Ole B. suggested I try Webb's Sickle Service. I did contact them and they seem to be somewhat promising. They wrote back that they my have what I need I just need to verify a few dimensions and get back with them. Do you have any pics of the bar you have in case Webb's doesn't work out, also I'm not sure if Bolens will fit on a Simplicity sickle but the components were probable made by the same manufacturer. I do have a Bolen's plow that I rigged to a Simplicity L1 by using the quick hitch of the Sim. drilled a few un-noticeable holes through the Versa-Matic plow hitch and now I can use the plow with either. How's this??

• earthgrinder said thank you

#11 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 27, 2015 - 07:06 PM

Looks like it should work fine.

I will take a photo of the bar and a closeup of the rock guards and hold downs.  I would not want to sell all the pieces, but would be willing to help out with what you need.

• boli51 said thank you

#12 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 03, 2015 - 08:52 PM

I do apologize because I forgot about taking photos of my Bolens sickle bar.  I would not want to sell all the items on the bar, but would be willing to part with some to help you out.

IMG_7375 (Large).JPG IMG_7377 (Large).JPG IMG_7378 (Large).JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted