Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 06:34 AM

Always like reading this types of threads you can learn so much from the members here.   Hope you get to the bottom of your starting problems , 

#17 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 07:13 AM

This manual covers the H35. Might be something in there to help.

Attached File  Tecumseh.pdf   2.49MB   137 downloads

Edited by bh115577, January 21, 2015 - 07:13 AM.

• Alc and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#18 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 07:41 PM

So here is an update. I reconfigured the ignition timing per the instructions Ben attached in his post. (Thank you btw).

Still have a no start condition. 

Here is what I know:

1. Ignition Timing now correct

2. Point Gap Correct

3. Getting Spark (confirmed via spark tester)

4. Valve Lash within spec

5. Valves sealing properly

6. Good Compression.

7. Flywheel Key in good condition

What is going on!?

I spray Carb Cleaner directly into spark plug hole, and it still will not fire.

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Wow, sounds like a conundrum... if I were you, i would Grab another plug. One that does not have a C in the name would be my suggestion.

#20 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 26, 2015 - 04:00 AM

I agree with Alan - Try a NEW sparkplug.  ....Sometimes new plugs are not good.

In one of the earlier posts it mentions an orange spark.  .....A STRONG spark is usually blue in color, and can jump a 3/16" gap (to ground) with no problem.

Sometimes, a spark will show on a tester, but it may not be strong enough to fire under compression.  ....Place a few drops (don't over-do it!) of gas on the top of the shroud.  ...Lay the sparkplug next to the gas (plug wire connected to plug), and see if the spark will ignite the gas.  ....If not, you have bad fuel or weak ignition.

You can also try hand-choking the engine by sealing the carb intake with your hand, as you crank the engine.  .....You should feel a firm suction against your hand, and if done a few times, and the engine does not start, the sparkplug should be wet with unburnt fuel.   .....If that is the case, you have weak ignition, bad sparkplug, or bad fuel. 

If hand-choking does not cause fuel to be drawn into the cylinder, you have a carb problem, fuel flow to the carb problem, or a compression problem.

Someone mentioned the possibility of a clogged exhaust.  ....This can indeed prevent an engine from running.

Also, when you had the flywheel off, did you check the "pull" of the magnet with a screwdriver?  ....Weak magnets are not common, but can occur and leave someone scratching their head.

There is always an answer to these problems.  .....Sometimes the answer is obvious, while other times it is not.  .....It is much harder to diagnose problems over the 'net, than in person.

Please let us know what you find!

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#21 olddog OFFLINE  

olddog
  • Member No: 69131
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 03, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Hi,  I've been struggling with my Troy built Jr engine, Tecumseh H35.  Last fall the engine stopped and I have not been able to start it since.  After checking all the usual things, I decided to completely strip the engine, just so see if there something unusual.  Nothing obvious at firs, but as the re-assembly progressed, I found that the valve timing is off about 90 degrees.  I take it the timing gear on the crankshaft has slipped.  I'm not sure how to fix this, but I assume it's a press fit gear.

I've never heard of this, and I'm sure I have the timing marks meshing correctly.

Regards,

Olddog