6 replies to this topic

#1 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 01:13 PM

I ran across this on YouTube, it has my interest peaked. Thoughts? Any other mods needed to do this?

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=VL_im7ptZI4
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 01:22 PM

I have always wanted to build a turbo diesel repower at some point. It really wouldn't be too bad. I would think though you would have to adjust the injection pump to accommodate the extra air.

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 02:03 PM

I have always wanted to build a turbo diesel repower at some point. It really wouldn't be too bad. I would think though you would have to adjust the injection pump to accommodate the extra air.

You may also have to change pistons, but I'm not sure about that. I would love to do my Kubota diesel with a turbo !!

#4 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 02:25 PM

My wife's grandfather owns a wrecking yard so I was thinking I could do this for little or nothing getting a small (gt15?) Turbo from him. Just don't see much out there about turbo'd yanmars.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 07:20 PM

I know on full size Massey tractors, or at least our older ones....the cranks for turbo vs non-turbo are different.  The turbo versions have special hardened crankshafts to handle the extreme loads the turbo puts on them.  Plus turbo models have oil injectors to shoot oil to the undersides of the pistons to prevent piston melt-down from the increased heat.  

• superaben said thank you

#6 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 07:46 PM

The is a guy down in Florida that owns a company called DethMachineFab. At least it is something close to that. Anyways, he has taken a few Thermoking Refer units and put turbos on them and stuck them in turbo diesel bikes. I bet if you ask him through YouTube or his site, he would answer as many questions as you have. Also, if memory serves me right, I think he used to be a diesel mechanic.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 08:29 PM

I know on full size Massey tractors, or at least our older ones....the cranks for turbo vs non-turbo are different.  The turbo versions have special hardened crankshafts to handle the extreme loads the turbo puts on them.  Plus turbo models have oil injectors to shoot oil to the undersides of the pistons to prevent piston melt-down from the increased heat.  

That is my experience with Turbos, too. They are a whole different ball of wax than a straight diesel.

However, a small turbo shouldn't need all that.  I know a guy who bought one of those turbo conversion kits and dropped it on an old Oliver.  He uses that tractor for farming and has yet to have problems about 1000 hours later.

Ben W.

• olcowhand and sacsr have said thanks