• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 11:11 AM

I have come across a B&S 5hp engine that might be suitable to replace the modern MTD engines on the Lawn Keeper. The details I have are 131922-0131-78 I have asked for more of the numbers to verify the engine.

Is this a suitable? The seller said it is a vertical shaft B&S and I just want co formation. Your advice would be helpful. Cheers.

image.jpg

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 12:32 PM

That engine is definitely a vertical shaft engine.  Probably a much better engine than the newer economy engines usually found on big box store equipment.  If it don't have electric start, that can be a pricy add on, especially if you need to change the flywheel.  Other than that I not much help as I know nothing about the Lawn Keepers.

• superaben and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 12:48 PM

Are we talking about push mowers or riders? For a push mower its more than enough, should work for self propelled push mowers as well. It may be a little weak for a rider. I flipped a little mtd made cub cadet rear engine rider from the 80's, was way too cheap to pass up but I figured out why, and had the parts lying around. I fixed it, and an electrical issue that just popped up and sold it for 2x what I bought it for. Anyways it had a 8 hp Briggs on it and never really bogged down except for in tall wet grass. 

• Alc said thank you

#4 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 01:00 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback.

TokyoDrift99: The Bolens Lawn Keeper is an articulated ride on mower.

#5 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 01:03 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback.

TokyoDrift99: The Bolens Lawn Keeper is an articulated ride on mower.

Right, brain fart. I am not to familiar with the lawn keeper/ estate keeper so that totally slipped my mind. The 5hp might be a little weak in my opinion. 

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 03:05 AM

The B&S engine pictured is quite a bit newer than what would have been on a Lawn Keeper originally, but it should bolt onto the chassis with no problem.

However, some of those 5hp B&S engines had a straight 1" diameter crankshaft, while others had a crankshaft which was stepped-down to 7/8" diameter.  ....You will have to check your existing pulley to make sure you get the correct diameter crankshaft.

The crankshaft length which you need is 3-5/32" as measured from the mounting flange to the end of the crankshaft. 

#7 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 05:47 AM

Right, brain fart. I am not to familiar with the lawn keeper/ estate keeper so that totally slipped my mind. The 5hp might be a little weak in my opinion. 

The LKs came in 5 Hp and 6 Hp versions.

#8 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 05:24 PM

The B&S engine pictured is quite a bit newer than what would have been on a Lawn Keeper originally, but it should bolt onto the chassis with no problem.

However, some of those 5hp B&S engines had a straight 1" diameter crankshaft, while others had a crankshaft which was stepped-down to 7/8" diameter.  ....You will have to check your existing pulley to make sure you get the correct diameter crankshaft.

The crankshaft length which you need is 3-5/32" as measured from the mounting flange to the end of the crankshaft.

Bruce,

Thanks for the detailed response. I am hazarding a guess that it's was made in 1979 as per se the serial numbers. Is there a thread on here that can give a breakdown of different engines?

Thanks
Andrew

#9 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 05:40 PM

Bruce,

Thanks for the detailed response. I am hazarding a guess that it's was made in 1979 as per se the serial numbers. Is there a thread on here that can give a breakdown of different engines?

Thanks
Andrew

I don't know of any specific threads to recommend, Andrew.

You may find some useable info in the B&S engine section of the Manuals Forum. 

If you have any specific questions, lots of people here will try to help you!

• Alc and Bolens800uk have said thanks