• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • Member No: 61792
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 11:05 AM

Are the 3 point hitch parts interchangeable between the 960 and 990? Manuals show that the draft bar connects differently between the two models, but the parts look the same. The 960 looks like it attaches to be bottom of rear frame plate assembly, while the 990 attaches to the rear axle houseing.  The part numbers are nearly identical, 438-985/986 (960) and 438-10985/10986 (990). The lift pull rods part numbers are different; 438-10923 (960) vs 438-10729(990), maybe the lift pull rods are different lengths?

Thanks.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 03:46 PM

I have found 990s  have the L-shaped arms and long rods, one each side to go back to the lower lift arms in upper pointing part to mount on top holes. Can't remember if on axle or frame in front at moment.  I've had Later model Whites and an early model lighter MTD that had a rockshaft that mounted on back of the body and a link that was inside the body and poking out back to a small arm on rockshaft. Those lower arms mounted on axle tabs. Any help?  Think also some L-shaped arms had a "fake" ball look on ends where they slid on pins and the cheaper ones just had a hole in the metal for pins.

• ktznz said thank you

#3 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 21, 2015 - 07:14 PM

I am including a photo of the rear of my 960. The manual shows that the L-shaped pieces, at the 90 degree angle for a 990 attaches to the rear axle, but the 960 attaches to the horizontal pins, 5/8" diameter with hole for clip. Appears that on the 960 without electric left, that the manual lever on right side of tractor is used to lift the mower deck or the 3 point hitch. I am still seeking the length of the lift pull rod for the 960. I found a 990 manual that had a hand-written length of 27 3/4" for the lift pull rod.MTD_ranger_rear.JPG  

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:53 PM

That is little diff than 990. I think you need the rockshaft that bolts back there on those four holes you see above and each side of back tin. Then there is a round rod that comes thru that bigger hole on left to pull on the arm of rockshaft. I had similar set-up on a lighter 10 hp Farm King MTD. Yes, lower arms mount to those or that pin below then, not on axle. Think you can make those lower arms and maybe the lift links, but will need the rockshaft or at least good picture to build one of those. I say look for parts book for your model or other lighter ones and see if you can get complete picture of assembly.

• ktznz said thank you

#5 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 12:15 PM

glgrumpy:

I am attaching pics from a MTD 141-760/860/960 parts list that shows no rockshaft, but uses the lever on the right side of tractor for either the mower deck or the 3 point hitch. So all I have to do is determine the length of the lift rod for the 960, compare to the length of the 990, and if all works right, I can start looking for pars, either 960 or 990.. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 960_lf_side.JPG
  • 960_rt_side.JPG

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 06:02 PM

I see pix and have had 990's and that is NOT the same system for your tractor. We agree to dis-agree,ha!  You sure model of tractor? Seems like not a 900 series at all to me, maybe hood was changed?  Those pix show for bigger tractor that had hitch mounted to the axle, not where you have on pins. 

Just found pix of the old tractor I had, a Farm King MTD that has type of hitch I think you need. Note the lift link goes WAY in to dash area linkage. Rockshaft on back, with lift links and on the pins on sides.

Attached Thumbnails

• MTD Farm King small 001.jpg
  • MTD Farm King small 003.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, January 23, 2015 - 06:08 PM.

#7 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 08:08 PM

Looking at the manual your pictures are from. I think the 990 hitch setup might work but will have to modify the pull rods to suit. The rods have a lot of adjustment available, if they are not rusted and frozen solid. If your tractor has the shaft that connects the lift handle to both sides like a 990, the pull links should work. The lift arms are reversed because rear plate is wider on your tractor. It would be nice to find a hitch to try out. If you found a hitch, it would be easy to modify the pull rods to fit if they would not adjust to the needed length.

I purchased this hitch from a local weld fabricator, Onpoint Welding and Fabricating. He also sells parts of the hitch separately. 

https://www.facebook...181356362002531

Scroll down his page to see the hitch parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1608.JPG
  • DSCN1609.JPG

Edited by VTXrider, January 23, 2015 - 08:15 PM.

• sacsr said thank you

#8 ktznz OFFLINE  

ktznz
  • 63 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 25, 2015 - 04:56 PM

Well, I did some more digging and acquired a set of lift rods along with a pair of  draft bars. The only difference I see is that the end of the lift rod that connects to lift arm assembly does not have the slot, just one round hole. There is enough room on the flange to  create the slot. I have cleaned the threads on the lift rod and may have to cut the end of the threaded end by about one inch, but I am not sure, yet. I will connect the pieces to my tractor and simulate the drawbar to determine if the length is correct or not. Where the clevis pin is seen on my earlier picture, I also found another set of holes in the frame forward by about 5 inches. The pins fit the holes and the alignment is similar to where the axles are located. The only negative I see is that the holes in ends of the draft bar have developed wear to the point of approximately 7/8" versus the diameter of the lift arm pin, which is 5/8". I will mock it up and take pictures to attach later, but now I am awaiting the a/c people to come check my heat pump that failed on the 22 Feb, again.. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3 pint hitch, 3ph, 960, 990