Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Finally Got My New Diesel Running

ruggerini rd200 ruggerini rd200 air-cooled diesl 2 cylinder diesel two cylinder diesel italian diesel

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 03:30 PM

Take a look here and see if anything rings a bell. I don't know your shaft diameter but there are some adapters pictured here.

http://www.ebay.com/...?lpid=82&chn=ps

If this doesn't work for you the guy might be able to make you one that will.

Also did a search for "generator tapered shaft adapters" then images, a number of photos came up. I'm unable to transfer the address here. 

Edited by Cvans, January 17, 2015 - 03:42 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 10:04 PM

I have had pretty good luck cutting key ways with a dremel tool. Half  moon and straight. If you use the larger diameter fiber cut off wheels it doesn't take long. The thin ceramic wheels do not work. 

Does anyone know if anything else uses this taper?

Thanks, Chris... I wondered if that would work.  I've also been wrapping my brain around how to cut that inside taper... it's only about 1" long, so it may be short enough I could do it with the compound rest on a lathe.

Smitty

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 10:07 PM

Take a look here and see if anything rings a bell. I don't know your shaft diameter but there are some adapters pictured here.

http://www.ebay.com/...?lpid=82&chn=ps

If this doesn't work for you the guy might be able to make you one that will.

Also did a search for "generator tapered shaft adapters" then images, a number of photos came up. I'm unable to transfer the address here. 

Thanks, Chris... there's quite a bit there, I'll see what I can find.  The shaft basically tapers from approx. 1 1/2 to 1 1/4" over a 1 " length.  One of the manuals I have said it's a 1:5 taper--I'll do the math and figure out what angle that is... I may even try the old method of turning a taper in a piece of untempered tools steel, then cutting half of it away, tempering and use it to ream a pre drilled hole.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, January 18, 2015 - 11:31 AM.

• Cvans said thank you

#19 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 11:19 PM

Not to direct you away from this forum, but there is another called smokestak, lots of folks around the world working on vintage engines, old diesels included and they have thier own seperate forum for them.  These engines are everywhere in the UK and Europe.  best bet for parts is to join and post up over there and find a friend overseas to hook you up.  That is what I have done for Lombardini and Petter parts that I needed.     Mike

#20 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 12:49 AM

Smitty, I might have a taper for you. I took apart a generator last month, and might have a end for you. Let me know, and I can run it up to your place.

#21 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 11:25 AM

What is the major end diameter of the taper?  Maybe one of us can find something.  As far as a keyway, the taper fit is so good, I think just drilling a shallow hole & putting in a short round button pin to match the adapter groove would suffice.

Thanks, Daniel--that's a good idea.

The major diameter is 1.5"--but it's within an 1/8th of the engine case. The minor diameter is approx. 1.25".  The length of the taper measured on the centerline is approx. 1.25". I drew it up in my CAD program and figured it out it's an 11 degree angle. 

Chris referred me to an eBay seller that will custom make tapered adapters.  His prices range from $25 to $60, so that's not a bad price.

I haven't decided what to put it in, yet, so I don't know what type of coupler I'd need.  I'd like to find a Case 446 or 448, or 6XX series, an A/C 620/720, or even a Simplicity 7790.

-OR-

I may put it into something fun, like a Coot ATV... a guy down near Lost Wages has a bunch of stuff for sale.  I'll be down there with work in March, so I plan to stop buy and check out his stash.

The engine only weighs 180 lbs dry, so it's not very heavy--in fact a little lighter than the Mitsi L3E that Pager450 put in his JD400.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, January 18, 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#22 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 11:33 AM

Not to direct you away from this forum, but there is another called smokestak, lots of folks around the world working on vintage engines, old diesels included and they have thier own seperate forum for them.  These engines are everywhere in the UK and Europe.  best bet for parts is to join and post up over there and find a friend overseas to hook you up.  That is what I have done for Lombardini and Petter parts that I needed.     Mike

Thanks, Mike... that's a good idea.

I actually have a son in Germany, but he's not too techincal, but I can at least have him bird dog stuff for me.  Unfortunately he doesn't have access to the military mail system there, so shipping can be pricey.

Smitty

#23 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 11:34 AM

Smitty, I might have a taper for you. I took apart a generator last month, and might have a end for you. Let me know, and I can run it up to your place.

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate it... I'll be down in Salt Lake Monday to pick up some shelves from Clem's.  I can stop by and get it and save you the trip.  I'll probably be there about noon.

Smitty

#24 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate it... I'll be down in Salt Lake Monday to pick up some shelves from Clem's.  I can stop by and get it and save you the trip.  I'll probably be there about noon.

Smitty

OK, well I wikll be at work, but I can leave it out infront of the garage.  Its still on a motor.  So, you can take both

• olcowhand and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#25 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 12:55 PM

Nice, never heard of that brand before. Hopefully you can find that taper adapter, tapers can be a pain.

Edited by TokyoDrift99, January 18, 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#26 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 04:29 PM

OK, well I wikll be at work, but I can leave it out infront of the garage.  Its still on a motor.  So, you can take both

Thanks, Ryan... let your wife know I'll be coming by...

Smitty

#27 VICHARRIS OFFLINE  

VICHARRIS

• Member No: 1381
  • 50 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:01 PM

Well,... nice find. I have installed a Deutz Ruggerini MD 151, same as the newer Lambardini 25ld330/2 deisel engine in a JD 316. Posted in this section FEB 2 2014 and NOV 17 2013. They sure sound sweet, like a small Detroit. I have restarted my first diesel install. Same motor, I bought two of them. The tractor is MF 1650. I just started doing the drive lay-out. A lot of u-joints and short drive shafts. And will have to extend the frame by about 3-4 inches. I will starting a separate topic on this build with pictures in a few weeks.

Victor

• limebuzz and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#28 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Well,... nice find. I have installed a Deutz Ruggerini MD 151, same as the newer Lambardini 25ld330/2 deisel engine in a JD 316. Posted in this section FEB 2 2014 and NOV 17 2013. They sure sound sweet, like a small Detroit. I have restarted my first diesel install. Same motor, I bought two of them. The tractor is MF 1650. I just started doing the drive lay-out. A lot of u-joints and short drive shafts. And will have to extend the frame by about 3-4 inches. I will starting a separate topic on this build with pictures in a few weeks.

Victor

Thanks, Victor... I'd like to see some pictures of both installs.  The Case GTs drive from the crank end, but, most of the others drive from the fan end.  If I could find a M-F 1650, I'd use it... ditto for a JD400/620/630 or a Bolens LF--preferably the HT23 with it's two speed axle.

Smitty

#29 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 11:34 AM

Put that engine in a Golf Cart. Talk about a hoot. Drive mine more miles than I care to think of this summer and it only took 6 gallons of fuel. Road gears are coming this spring. 

IMG_0543.JPG

#30 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 24, 2015 - 01:00 PM

Put that engine in a Golf Cart. Talk about a hoot. Drive mine more miles than I care to think of this summer and it only took 6 gallons of fuel. Road gears are coming this spring. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0543.JPG

A good idea, Chris--I've entertained the idea... would be nice for my short trips around town... if I can make one street legal. A guy down in southern Nevada near Lost Wages has several similar items--Cushman trucksters, etc. I'll be down there in March with work so I can scope it out, then, but I'd like to see one before hand to know if the engine will fit into the engine compartment.

Smitty

• Cvans said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ruggerini, rd200, ruggerini rd200, air-cooled diesl, 2 cylinder diesel, two cylinder diesel, italian diesel