• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chaz071 OFFLINE  

chaz071
  • Member No: 66472
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 05:16 PM

Hi All - great forum, I am a mechanic and love these types of forums. I got an old LGT 14D from an auction, it's been going great but now it doesn't charge. I can see what appears to be an AC alternator running off the belt with two wires coming out. Is this correct. I cannot find a workshop manual for it so I am flying blind. I did look in the manuals section with no luck. Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 05:36 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Rob.  Some of the Ford guys should be along shortly.  I'm not familiar with the 14D but if you are looking under the tractor at this alternator it sounds more like you are looking at the PTO.  The stators are usually under the flywheel.  Could you give us a bit more info like what motor you have brand, model etc.  Have you check the voltage at the battery static and then running?

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 05:49 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! All we have is an operators manual for those. Hang around a bit, someone will come along with insight to your issues!

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 07:07 PM

That should be equipped with a "dynamo" which puts out AC voltage on both wires.  Unplug it & put a voltage meter on the 2 wires.  It should be putting out 34VAC or more.  If not, then it's bad.  If it's putting out proper, then move on to the regulator, check connections.  If connections are good there, follow back to the rest of the wiring.  If all looks good, then likely the regulator is bad.

• HDWildBill and superaben have said thanks

#5 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Welcome to the forum

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 10:46 PM

That should be equipped with a "dynamo" which puts out AC voltage on both wires.  Unplug it & put a voltage meter on the 2 wires.  It should be putting out 34VAC or more.  If not, then it's bad.  If it's putting out proper, then move on to the regulator, check connections.  If connections are good there, follow back to the rest of the wiring.  If all looks good, then likely the regulator is bad.

Daniel is exactly right.  Usually the dynamos do not fail on the Japanese engines, most of the time the regulators are bad.  The reason a lot of dynamos get swapped out is that the regulators are very expensive on many little diesels and it is much more cost effective to wiring in an alternator and call it all good.

Ben W.

#7 chaz071 OFFLINE  

chaz071
  • Member No: 66472
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 01:45 AM

Thanks guys - like I thought, for others it's a diesel with what looks like a power steer pump of the fan belt, but it has 2 wires, not a flywheel charging setup. I should have checked for AC voltage, as most dynamos and alternators churn out AC then rectify. I shall - stay tuned!

#8 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted March 22, 2015 - 08:34 AM

chaz....I downloaded a parts catalog from Messicks tractors....and yes it is an alternator type with the two wires coming off. I just got my 14D a week ago and the Battery warning light stays on all the time. I`m hoping the battery is bad but that could be for a not charging alternator. I haven`t had time to really check into it yet. Good to see someone with another of these 14Ds not many around. How many are there in Australia.....got any idea ?? Looking for the 3PT and rear PTO add-on if your run across one....LOL  !!