• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 03:26 PM

I think I have enough lumber to build a shed for my bolens.. My ?? is, I have 8'  2x8s for the roof.rafters....laying flat = 16'    how much will I loose the more pitch I go.. I'm thinking of,,,4 or 5 pitch..

Is there a calculator to measure this..???

I would like to go about 10 - 12 feet  wide and about 10 ft. deep...and only about 6ft. high to the joists..  This will be kinda a temporary shed but I have the lumber from a large deck I tore down... I thought about narrower and longer,, but then I would have to put the Bolens in single file.. I would rather put them in side-by-side and just drive which one I want out... The only thing I might have to buy is the roof rafters.. I scored an old pool sheet metal for the roof,, in 12ft. leanths ... The sides I'm not sure of yet.. but it will keep a roof over the their heads...

Any thoughts     or tips..???                            thanks   sodi

Edited by sodisr, January 16, 2015 - 03:30 PM.

#2 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 04:03 PM

The formula is "the square on the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the other two squares".  In other words, with 12 feet of run and a 5 foot pitch, you need to determine the square root of 12 squared plus 5 squared (169 square feet).  The square root of 169 is 13 feet so your rafters would need to be 13 feet long, not including any overhang.  I believe the minimum pitch needed for shingles is 3/12 and metal would probably be less than that.  If you have much of a snow load you would want to go with a steeper pitch.

• boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 04:24 PM

In Iowa the minimum normally advised is a 12/4 pitch with our normal snow loads. Depending on where you are in Wisconsin and your snow load could vary? The other big issue would be spacing on center of the rafters. That has a lot of bearing bearing on the load bearing ability of the rafter. I would not go over 16 inches with 2x8.
I see a lot of sheds built with 24 inch on center but also see a lot of single plank rater roofs swaybacked after several years.
the minimum I would do is studs on 16 inch center with truss rafters on 24 inch.
Again in your area I do not know what zoning regulations your dealing with Most towns and cities have specs you need to follow and sometimes counties do as well.
Fortunately where I am out in the country I do not have to deal with county regs or building permits..
I just need to build stable and safe.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 16, 2015 - 04:32 PM.

• KennyP and sodisr have said thanks

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 05:29 PM

When I built my sugar house I went 10' sq and had a 3' peak in the center.  not sure what that's works out to be for a pitch but it is plenty when you are standing on it, the rafters were around 7' long which gave me a 12" overhang on each side.  hope this helps.  one thing I can say is to ad a few angle braces in there if you don't plan on putting the walls on rite away, the building will be very wobly without any braces.

Attached Thumbnails

• sugar house 002.JPG
  • sugar house 004.JPG

• sodisr said thank you

#5 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 08:25 PM

If you have a framing square, it has the math on it. It tells you based on pitch how many inches the rafter will be. So in English, if your doing a 4-12 pitch( 4" rise for 12" run) it will say 14.32 ( example number only, don't have square in front of me) in that row marked common. ( it does common, hip and jack rafters usually) That would mean for every foot (12") wide you make the rafter 14.32" long . So a 12' wide shed or 6' rafter would be about 85" or 7' long. Framing squares have that formula on them . If you get a "speed" square it is explained in the instruction booklet . Hope this helps. Tom
  • sodisr said thank you

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 08:40 PM

I have nothing to add to this thread...but I am sitting here having a terrible case of deja vu....

It is horrible...did you guys post those photos before?

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 08:59 PM

my pics were posted before in my sugar house thread, deja-vu is a terrible thing.  so is short term memory loss and I have both :D

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 09:08 PM

my pics were posted before in my sugar house thread, deja-vu is a terrible thing. so is short term memory loss and I have both :D

That's where I seen them at...ok I'm not crazy. Ok I am but not as crazy!

I knew I was reading about a building project and seen those pictures before.

#9 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Tom and all... I have a bunch of 2x8s for the rafters.. 2x6s for the walls...  Thanks on the snow load... I realy didn't think much about that...It's just going to be Temporary but one good snow-load and all could come crashing down...

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#10 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • Member No: 52259
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 04:44 PM

For a shed 12' wide with a 6" pitch you would need 8' rafter material and that would also give you a 12" overhang.

• sodisr said thank you