6 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 09:39 AM

How does the gear reduction case get oil to lubricate the gears?  I can not find any information on them. Did not find any fill or drain port either.  I don't think it can get oil from the crank case of the engine as that is sealed.  Who knows when the last time this one was serviced, if ever.  Would like to get that done before using the tractor

#2 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 11:46 AM

If there are no fill or level plugs on the gear reduction, oil is supplied from the engine crankcase.  ...After running the engine a short while, re-check and re-fill the oil level to account for any oil that went into the gear reduction.  ...(It is unlikely that there is an oil seal between the crankcase and gear reduction.)

Some gear reductions were isolated from the crankcase, but these had a fill & drain plug.

Some gear reductions had a fill/level plug located horizontally approx at the midpoint.  ....Lubricant would be added until it spilled back out this opening.  ...This style usually had a drain plug at the bottom.

• grand, Lauber1 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the info Bruce. I just went into the garage to double check on the Wizard we are restoring. It was as I remembered having a drain and fill plug. I just hope my little brain can remember your info for any future projects.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 03:59 PM

Have you check this manual?  http://gardentractor...ines-1919-1981/

Lots of good info there on the early engines.

• Lauber1 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 06:50 PM

Have you check this manual?  http://gardentractor...ines-1919-1981/

Lots of good info there on the early engines.

Thanks a bunch DougT.  I now have that downloaded and your right.  There is a ton of information in there.  Need to change a couple thing tomorrow that I didn't do right.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 09:54 PM

If it is the original BR6, the gear reduction is in place of the 4 bolt bearing plate that the standard engines use.  That reduction unit has ports drilled in the side for the oil to be shared both ways between itself and the engine. 

Ben W.

• DougT and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted February 07, 2015 - 07:38 AM

Mine has the original BR6 on it so it does get oil from the engine crank case.  No plugs anywhere on the gear reduction unit.  I had it and some [pieces of equipment inside an open front building for a couple weeks.  A wood trailer took up all the extra room in the machines shed.  We unloaded the wood into the porch at the house yesterday and left the trailer outside.  Moved the equipment inside on pallets.  Went to start the Gardener and one partial pull on the rope and it fired and ran.  I could not believe it.  I plan on that being my main plow and #2 cultivator unit for the garden this year.  Thanks for ll the help guy.  Stay safe.