• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mosleygeorge24 OFFLINE  

mosleygeorge24
  • Member No: 64292
  • 11 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Getting ready to replace a badly leaking transaxle (six speed) oil seal on my 1220. Any recommendations for things to be careful of? Once the nuts, washers, etc....  have been removed, do you use a hammer to remove the axle shaft to get to the leaking seal?   I know there is also an internal smaller seal in the axle and I am concerned when I remove the axle, that I might damage the smaller seal on the threads, etc.....  I am sure that Bolens had some type of tool when removing the axle from the transaxle.... Any advice would be appreciated....

• T Guiles said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 07:37 PM

They can be tough to get the hubs off at times especially if they have never been removed before

Here's a link to an old thread that may be of some help to you.

http://gardentractor...lens 800 seal

I would recomend replacing all seals while you have everything off

• superaben and HANKG have said thanks

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Getting ready to replace a badly leaking transaxle (six speed) oil seal on my 1220. Any recommendations for things to be careful of? Once the nuts, washers, etc....  have been removed, do you use a hammer to remove the axle shaft to get to the leaking seal?   I know there is also an internal smaller seal in the axle and I am concerned when I remove the axle, that I might damage the smaller seal on the threads, etc.....  I am sure that Bolens had some type of tool when removing the axle from the transaxle.... Any advice would be appreciated....

You do not have to remove the axle shaft to replace any of the seals. 

You do have to remove the hub from whichever (or both) side(s) the seal is leaking.   

• HANKG said thank you