#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 10:57 PM

Finally getting around to putting a 3-pt on my Bolens HT23.

I got part of the mounts built, I should finish tomorrow if all goes as planned. I will get it cleaned up and painted once it is working, right now I need to do a lot of grinding and smooth over everything.

I couldn't find anyplace for the lift cylinder, I finally came up with mounting it behind the 3-pt and having it pull down to lift. I hope this design works, I don't know why it wouldn't? my cylinder is big enough it should have plenty of power so I don't think leverage will be much of an issue?.

I'm afraid of this 3-pt lifting the back of the tractor off the ground and then I can't go. Can I make this a one way cylinder if I plug the bottom of the cylinder and just hook a hose to the top???

Let me know what you think?

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens 3-pt 029.jpg
  • Bolens 3-pt 035.jpg
  • Bolens 3-pt 036.jpg
  • Bolens 3-pt 037.jpg
  • Bolens 3-pt 038.jpg
  • Bolens 3-pt 040.jpg

Edited by BTS, January 14, 2015 - 11:08 PM.

• Alc, case442 and Cvans have said thanks

#2 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 04:15 AM

Ummm. Your axle is equipped with lugs for the lower links of your 3PH hitch. Why aren't you using them?

Many GT 3PH cylinders operate on the pull stroke. They also use a mechanical method that only applies pressure for lifting and not for lowering. With the long cylinder that you are using, maybe slot the link that the cylinder acts against to provide some float.

When I made a 3PH for my MF12H, I installed the cylinder horizontally behind the left rear tire and it pulled to raise the hitch. That cylinder was 1.5" x 8". The cylinder is under the seat pan for the hitch on my MF1655, is 2" x 4" and also pulls to raise the hitch.

• BTS said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 04:50 AM

I'm with Tudor on the axle mount. With it this far back, it won't take much weight to lighten the front end! That is a huge cylinder, for sure!

• BTS said thank you

#4 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 09:43 AM

The arms are to wide to fit in the mounts on the axle, these arms also have to much of a bend and they will bind in the tires if mounted on the axle. And if the arms are back at the axle then there is no room for the lift arms and ect. This 3-pt is almost to big in a way, but I got it for practically free so I'll make it work. I shouldn't be lifting much weight, the heaviest thing will be a 4' box blade and I have a 20hp Kubota for the heavier lifting :thumbs:.

I also have front wheel weights and a push blade that will probably never come off :smilewink:

Edited by BTS, January 15, 2015 - 10:28 AM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 05:44 PM

Now I understand the method to your madness!

• BTS said thank you

#6 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 565 Thanks
  • 629 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 09:21 PM

You will have to vent the bottom or you'll have air pressure working against your seals.

• BTS said thank you

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 11:26 PM

I wondered if I would need a vent of some sort.

Thanks

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 11:27 PM

I got part of the lift arms built today, going to have it finished tomorrow and I will have pictures up tomorrow

#9 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 04:25 AM

I wondered if I would need a vent of some sort.

Thanks

Vent it with a hose to the reservoir. If and when it leaks past the piston seals, you want to recapture the fluid.

• BTS said thank you

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 06:36 AM

Didn't know it was only one way system , would it pay to just plumb in a valve so it would have up/down/float ?

• BTS said thank you

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 08:45 AM

Didn't know it was only one way system , would it pay to just plumb in a valve so it would have up/down/float ?

It is a two way system, I just didn't want down pressure to pick to the back of the tractor up. Later on when I have more time, I'm going to ad a two spool valve on the fender, that should give me another port up front and then 3-pt.

Edited by BTS, January 16, 2015 - 08:46 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#12 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 09:36 AM

With the pivot for the cylinder being so close to the pivot for the top lift arms and the arms being so long, that is gonna be a very quick and touchy set up. You may want to add an orifice to limit the flow. 

A vent at the bottom of the cylinder wont help you much, as that is the side the pressure needs to be on to lift the 3pt.

Edited by tater195, January 16, 2015 - 09:41 AM.

• BTS said thank you

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 10:33 PM

Well, I had a change of plans, I found another cylinder, it's about half the length as the other. Since it is shorter I was able to mount it on the axle (on the original 3-pt arm mount), this keeps the cylinder out of the way and it's in a good position for lifting. My only concern is it is close to the tire and I don't know if that will be a issue if I put on tire chains???. I'm also now going to hang the 3-pt arms by chains, that will fix my down pressure problem.

I still have lots and lots of bracing to do, this is just the bare bones being held together by tack welds and bubble gum :thumbs:. I'm going to remove the hitch tomorrow and weld it all up on the bench.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens 3-pt 012.jpg

Edited by BTS, January 16, 2015 - 10:37 PM.

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 10:11 PM

I believe the hitch is done!, I haven't yet tested it because I need to get some hoses put together. I will get the hoses on Monday and then I will test it out with the plow!.

I did a lot of bracing and welding today. The hitch seems pretty stout, I stood on the tip of the arms and nothing broke. So I figure if it can hold me up then it should be able to handle anything I throw on it.

The chains seemed to work pretty good, it fixed my down pressure problem and it also makes it lift higher. Can't wait to test it out, I'm going to bring it home tomorrow and play with the new push blade on the front. :dancingbanana:

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens 3-pt FINISHED 016.jpg
  • Bolens 3-pt FINISHED 018.jpg
  • Bolens 3-pt FINISHED 017.jpg

#15 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 20, 2015 - 01:35 AM

Uh-oh!

That rear axle is rated for a 400 lb load on the 3PH. A 2" cylinder will apply up to 3100 lb of force against that lug in order to lift a 400 lb implement, depending on the geometry. A MF4850 tiller weighs 385 lb . . . without dirt hanging on it.

This is not good!

• BTS said thank you