#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,172 Thanks
  • 6,894 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:43 PM

Have been thinking of a johnny bucket type item for garden tractors and was trying to find info on epay for any used or such and not much luck. Recent posting here had that one that lifts higher and such, think I'll look into them. But, what about others?  Is there place making plans like CAD or similar? I do see some for 4-wheelers that manual trip, but need mounts and carriers and all extra just to put it on one. I have a Power King with a quick-tach  on front, similar to bob-cat idea, only smaller. Think I could start there and get some lift maybe, but not enough. Think I can add on to hydrualics, but not sure what is involved with finding all that yet.  Any suggestions where to look?  Such thing as Used ones?

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,910 Thanks
  • 6,879 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 06:33 AM

Any reason why your not thinking of a 3-pt scoop ? Found a pic of one of those  but also this clever idea of using the snowplow blade as a clam shell bucket !

Attached Thumbnails

• rear_bucket.jpg
  • 200915131936_DONE6.jpg

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP, glgrumpy and 2 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,498 Thanks
  • 7,925 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 06:53 AM

Here is one that is for sale on CL http://newlondon.cra...4840993883.html . They come up once in a great while.

I have one that is homemade and came with a Simplicity group that I bought. I haven't tried it yet because I need to finish the tractor with electric lift. There are alot of videos on youtube about them. There has to be plans for them in atleast one of the GT clubs. When it warms up, I'll dig out mine and post some pictures. Good Luck, Rick
  • Alc, KennyP, glgrumpy and 1 other said thanks

#4 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 06:59 AM

I have one of the 3pt ones I use on a C195 Wheel Horse. They work okay for scooping and carrying but won't dig in worth crap

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 7,172 Thanks
  • 6,894 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 07:49 AM

Too old and body doesn't like turning around to do all that work backwards.  I want it out front. Now that blade with bucket sides and bottom really interests me. I do have a brand new blade to go on my quick-tach, not sure how high I can get it to lift, but that seems pretty neat!  Think I'll look into that idea. Be cheapest would think? 

Alc, where'ld that pix come from?  I tried to click on it and save or print, but don't see way to do that. Zat someplace I can get address for to go look and maybe print out?  Is there any more of it?

Edited by glgrumpy, January 15, 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 10,498 Thanks
  • 7,925 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 08:04 AM

If you have to pay someone else to build it, nothing is cheap anymore. When I built my house, I was able to justify buying three real loaders AC HD6G, Ford 4500 TLB, and a Ford 2000 with FEL and 3ph. They paid for themselves in just building the house so I got to keep them. The 2000 is the handiest and gets used alot. The 4500 lifts alot more and the bachoe is great for stumps and rocks. The HD6G needs work but it is the most productive for earth moving and I still have alot of landscapping to do(I only started 27 years ago).

I'm 63 and couldn't do alot of things now if it wasn't for the tools and equipment that I have. You may want to seriously evaluate what you need. A full size farm tractor, with a FEL, is usually cheaper than a GT, with a FEL. It can do a whole lot more. The johnnie buck will be a little help but it can't lift very high nor carry much. A PK with an original FEL is very handy but hard to find. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 15, 2015 - 08:05 AM.

• glgrumpy said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 31,303 Thanks
  • 41,531 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Any reason why your not thinking of a 3-pt scoop ? Found a pic of one of those  but also this clever idea of using the snowplow blade as a clam shell bucket !

That second pic is rather ingenious! Gets the wheels turning!

• glgrumpy said thank you

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,382 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 08:15 AM

That clam shell is interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing some more info

on that too.

One thing that would have to be watched, is the angle pivot point strength, or

lack of. There'd be a lot of stress there if the bucket load isn't balanced side

to side.

• KennyP and glgrumpy have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,910 Thanks
  • 6,879 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 08:33 AM

Found the site where the clam shell pic came from , look who's face showed up lol

http://www.michaelst...541&whichpage=2

• wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and glgrumpy have said thanks

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,874 Thanks
  • 5,166 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Here is my bucket/blade mount. It lifts high enough to load onto my trailer and high enough to dump, but no downforce for digging, that would require a hydro cyl or electric actuator. I can swap between blade and bucket in about 5 mins. I know you are asking about bucket, just showing how mount is made with blade.

I was going to also built a clamshell, but found the bucket on CL for cheap so I just modded it to fit my mount. My bucket is an auto trip when I lift it high enough.

The bucket has moved tons of gravel, rock, dirt, and mulch and some goat poop :D sure saved my back....but I plan to build a true FEL someday.

100_0981.jpg

100_0985.jpg

photobucket-7191-1358177140496.jpg

photobucket-10281-1358177293587.jpg

Here's a clamshell build this guy can use his front or rear, I would add an electric actuator though to open shell versus his manual lever. He has it set up to keep open so he can just use the blade.

rear clamshell bucket.jpg

clam shell bucket front 1.jpg

clam shell bucket front.jpg

clam shell bucket 3.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, glgrumpy and 1 other said thanks

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 7,172 Thanks
  • 6,894 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 01:46 PM

Thanks guys, lots of neat info on that Simple site and pictures.  Really gonna look into this in summer. Have to get it done before I "Get out of the Hobbie" though!

• Alc said thank you

#12 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,156 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 01:56 PM

I really like and would like to build one of these: 

Runs off the current hydraulic system on the JD 140H3 at what looks like a decent speed.  Looks like it lifts a little higher than the Buford bucket but doesn't stick out much further than the Buford. 

Hopefully adding the needle bearings to the front spindles will help with the steering.  I built a front weight bar for it and when I hang to five of the JD 42#  weights on it the steering gets a bit difficult.  Perhaps going to narrow tri-rib front tires will help some also.

Edited by GTTinkerer, January 15, 2015 - 01:56 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 05:00 PM

Sears offers a clamshell bucket for the craftsman. There's a unit called the Buford bucket and another maker that is similar(can not remember the name). From what I have seen of the Johnny bucket it is a good one too.
Correction check out the Westendorf auto dump rear bucket for GTs,
There is a guy on one of the MTD 990 discussion groups that posts as Blacksmith.
That has posted pictures of both a 3 point scoop and a loader along with dimentioned sketches.
They are very well built and his 990 would rival the one Daniel used to have.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 15, 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#14 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • 10,498 Thanks
  • 7,925 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 05:33 PM

Check this: http://newlondon.cra...4839262737.html   JOHN DEERE BLADE WITH SCOOP - $1250 (COLCHESTER)

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,874 Thanks
  • 5,166 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 08:31 AM

I really like and would like to build one of these: 

Runs off the current hydraulic system on the JD 140H3 at what looks like a decent speed.  Looks like it lifts a little higher than the Buford bucket but doesn't stick out much further than the Buford. 

Hopefully adding the needle bearings to the front spindles will help with the steering.  I built a front weight bar for it and when I hang to five of the JD 42#  weights on it the steering gets a bit difficult.  Perhaps going to narrow tri-rib front tires will help some also.

I think that  is a modify Buford bucket, looks pretty similar.

. There's a unit called the Buford bucket and another maker that is similar(can not remember the name).

Are you thinking of the "Or-bilt"?

http://www.or-bilt.c...ctorloader.html

It lifts higher than the Buford, but kind of hangs out front to me, looks awkward.

296181.jpg