Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Reading PA to West Kingston, RI best way to go?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 07:52 PM

I am looking at taking 222 to I78 to I287 to I95. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Then I am heading south from there on Sunday- I am leaning on heading back through PA versus running I95 south. Just too many cars and tolls.

Thanks

Scott
  • Coventry Plumber said thank you

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 08:39 PM

The only advice I could offer is if you do the Rt222 N to Rt78 E route  be careful when you get close to Allentown ,  Halmilton Blv merges  with Rt222 , you need to cross 2 lanes of Halmiton Blv to get to the entrance ramp of RT78 E . You have about 1/8 mile or so but if your towing a trailer it might make it harder in traffic .

• sacsr said thank you

#3 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 08:59 PM

You could take 61 North out of Reading and catch 22/78E. The biggest issue is where Rt 100 crosses under and you have the ramp traffic. If you  stay in the left lane(s) before the 100 ramps and up to the 22 split off you should be ok. Another area to watch is where 412 intersects 78, it goes from four lanes down to two.

• sacsr said thank you

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:56 PM

Do you need a place to stay Saturday night Scott? I have plenty of room.

• Rock farmer and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#5 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 10:22 PM

I am looking at taking 222 to I78 to I287 to I95. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Then I am heading south from there on Sunday- I am leaning on heading back through PA versus running I95 south. Just too many cars and tolls.

Thanks

Scott

I can't tell you what 287 is like but I can tell you NOT to stay on 78 to 95 through the city. I did that once...

As far as taking 95 back, again I'd go pretty far out of my way not to take 95 through the city. Two to three times the miles going around will still be quicker. If I remember correctly, tolls just in that area were $25+. It was $17 or $18 just to cross the GW Bridge.

If you do come back (or up for that matter) through PA I assume you'll go through York on I-83? If your looking for a pit stop or want to grab a bite to eat, feel free to give me a call. Pm me if you don't still have my number. Unfortunately I won't have a GE hitch for you this time. ;-)
  • sacsr said thank you

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 10:34 PM

Do you need a place to stay Saturday night Scott? I have plenty of room.

Thanks for the offer. I do have a place to stay. Wish I had time to hang around, but I need to get back home !

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 10:36 PM

I can't tell you what 287 is like but I can tell you NOT to stay on 78 to 95 through the city. I did that once...
As far as taking 95 back, again I'd go pretty far out of my way not to take 95 through the city. Two to three times the miles going around will still be quicker. If I remember correctly, tolls just in that area were $25+. It was $17 or $18 just to cross the GW Bridge.
If you do come back (or up for that matter) through PA I assume you'll go through York on I-83? If your looking for a pit stop or want to grab a bite to eat, feel free to give me a call. Pm me if you don't still have my number. Unfortunately I won't have a GE hitch for you this time. ;-)

Thanks Jim! I was thinking I needed to stay west and away from NYC the best I could. I am hoping to make it back in a day, so I am running pretty hard. Wish this could be a leisure trip.

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 07:49 AM

Be safe Scott,

• sacsr said thank you

#9 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 08:06 AM

Well since you're literally going to be passing right by my house, you're welcome to stop by if you have a minute.

• sacsr said thank you

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 10:03 AM

Peter where do you live? Would love to stop by- I just have no idea how much time it is going to take me to drive these distances - I don't want to promise something I can not do- send me s pm with you number and an address - I will contact you Saturday morning as I am making my way over-

#11 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 01:38 PM

10-4, PM sent

• sacsr said thank you

#12 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 02:41 PM

Have a safe trip Scott. Staying west of the city is a great idea. I had a driving job years ago that took us thru the city and across the GW. It was bad back then and I'm sure it's worse now.

• sacsr said thank you

#13 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 07:03 PM

Well, just a quick progress report on Scott. I just finished meeting with him about 20 minutes ago, and he seems to be doing great. He said he's a little tired, but mostly from doing the trade show and with talking to folks. I talked him into meeting me at an exit just off of Route 222 North, the Oregon Pike Exit, where I knew there was a good place for food, and told him to go inside and get himself a bite to eat. He agreed. It was so good to see him again. 

Oh, and I'm to tell everyone in the area that Scott is really enjoying the weather up here!! :smilewink:  

If you're reading this Scott, great to see you again, Thank You again for your services, be careful driving, and remember, you promised me you'd pull over if you get too tired. I want to see you again my Friend!  :thumbs:

• sacsr, EricR and jerseyeyes have said thanks

#14 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,537 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Well, just a quick progress report on Scott. I just finished meeting with him about 20 minutes ago, and he seems to be doing great. He said he's a little tired, but mostly from doing the trade show and with talking to folks. I talked him into meeting me at an exit just off of Route 222 North, the Oregon Pike Exit, where I knew there was a good place for food, and told him to go inside and get himself a bite to eat. He agreed. It was so good to see him again. 

Oh, and I'm to tell everyone in the area that Scott is really enjoying the weather up here!! :smilewink:  

If you're reading this Scott, great to see you again, Thank You again for your services, be careful driving, and remember, you promised me you'd pull over if you get too tired. I want to see you again my Friend!  :thumbs:

That place to eat Wouldn't be Shady Maple would it?  BTW 2 exits north from there (Denver) is the town where I grew up.

#15 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 07:48 AM

Dairy Barn? I think was the name. Shepherd's pie and the Mac n cheese were good. Drove to just outside of Allentown and decided to stop, mainly because I was tired, not sleepy just tired. Felt like a good nights sleep would do me good. Heading out the door shortly.

Troy, as always, good to see you. Thanks to you and Don for the help with the front tires and rims to get the JB rolling! Hope Dick and I can get it loaded this evening before the rain gets here tomorrow.

Edited by sacsr, January 20, 2015 - 04:44 PM.

• johndeereelfman and jerseyeyes have said thanks