10 replies to this topic

#1 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:25 AM

Towards the end of last fall I had a branch come up from under the tractor and push the radiator back into the fan on my 430. After a lot of searching I finally found a replacement radiator and fan. Last night I finished the reassembly and started the tractor up. It started good and ran fine, then about a minute later it started knocking. I shut it down and checked for any leaks and double checked the oil. All was fine. So I restarted, though maybe since it was sitting for so long maybe the oil just needed to start flowing again, and sounded fine. Idled for a bit then I brought it to full speed, sounded fine, then the knock came back, so I backed it down to idle, which caused it to quit. Any Ideas of what would cause this? I'm no diesel expert so any insight would be appreciated.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:51 AM

Check the drive shaft unit for any loose play.
  • jj69chev and superaben have said thanks

#3 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:53 AM

will do, but really sound like an engine knock. I will try to get video tonight

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:57 AM

Check the drive shaft unit for any loose play.

Also check everything you took loose as it maybe loose and giving you the knock. I bet the drive shaft is loose or out of alignment. My 332 alternator would hit the steering wheel console because of a bad motor mount and make a knocking sound because the belt was stretched.
  • jj69chev and superaben have said thanks

#5 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 06:04 PM

so after further inspection, it appears the alternator/ waterpump belt is shot. i noticed the batt light was on, ever so dim, and engine seems hot, not to the point that the temp light is coming on, but seems hot?>\ could this cause the knock? Either way belt needs to be replaced, my question is how? I cant get a new belt on the crankshaft pulley due to the drive shaft, and i see no easy way to disconnect that..

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 06:21 PM

I've never taken the shaft loose from my 430, but it's the only way to get a new belt on.  It's not a 5 minute job, but not that bad either.  My bro-in-law had his off & did it in an afternoon, and didn't take the whole afternoon either.  It's simple on my JD F935, but a little more involved on the 430 I think.

As to the belt being the source of the knock...it certainly could be, but by replacing the belt, you might find something amiss in the driveshaft, and it will certainly be a good time to take a close look at it.

#7 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 07:46 PM

So I tightened the belt for now just to do some testing and troubleshooting. Knock went away after a few seconds so I think great! Do a few power test throttle up then down a little drive and so forth.. When I throttle down it dies at idle.. Re start and test some more. Next thing I know the knock is back. Also noticed a lot of smoke frome the engine... :(  Took a quick video then shut it down...it got me nervous that my new investment is in serious trouble.

Edited by jj69chev, January 14, 2015 - 07:53 PM.

• superspeedex said thank you

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:03 PM

I'm still with Daniel.  Something in your drive line may be part of your problem. 

I nearly lost my lunch over a farm tractor rebuild one time.  On its first one it started knocking and clanging like it was getting ready to blow up.  The problem turned out to be the fan shroud was just so touching the fan.. barely enough to even cause sparks to fly.  It would only hit when you revved the motor or put it under a load, making the engine twist on the mounts.

I'd check simple things first.

Smoke is normal on an engine that has sat for some time. 

Ben W.

• jj69chev said thank you

#9 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 10:29 AM

well good news, i went out and tried the tractor this morning, no knock so i cleared the residual snow on the driveway with the back blade, no knock the whole time! and no smoke from the engine. My hypothesis....AIR.. I think there may have still been air in the cooling system, which caused the engine to run hotter, causing the knock and also smoking residual fuel off the top of the motor from when i bleed the fuel lines.. Thoughts? Is that a feasible cause? 

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 12:35 PM

More likely air still in the injector system.  That will cause weird knocking till all the air is purged.

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 01:16 PM

More likely air still in the injector system.  That will cause weird knocking till all the air is purged.

I agree with Daniel.  I would start the engine up and at an idle slightly loosen each of the injector lines at the injector for a few seconds, tighten it up and go to the next injector.