• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 12:18 AM

I've been thinking about it a lot with my Bolens lately. It's a 61 and has taken all that time to look like it does. When I look at it I start thinking about all the work this little gt has done and all the seat time somebody enjoyed on it. I don't know if I'll ever show it but would like to share it with people.  I know its a personal choice but I wanted to hear what you all think in the matter.                                                     here's a few pic's I've posted before, it's been too cold for any progress on anything                                004.JPG                                                                                                                    003.JPG                                                                                                                    002.JPG                                                                                                                    001.JPG                                                                                                                                                                  I have painted the seat pan and back rim's. Also added wheel weights, bought a new carb for it and a few odds and ends. I'm just looking for some feedback and want some input from you all. Thanks                                                                                                                                     

Attached Thumbnails

• 010.JPG

• Alc, TimW, panzersarebest and 1 other said thanks

#2 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 01:30 AM

I am a retired auto body/paint man and it is difficult for me not to want to paint it, but I am impressed with them like that also. At the show I go to we have a lot of original stuff that I like. I have a '85 John Deere 165 that I have not painted yet and think I convinced me not to.Some people really do not want them painted.Do what you want to do and enjoy the tractor.

• T Guiles said thank you

#3 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 06:32 AM

499.JPG  I like my GTs painted I have worker's for the not so much look.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 06:39 AM

If you have the belt guard and can make it complete I say go for it! :thumbs:

#5 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 07:17 AM

Ill just throw this out there. I wont say either way. But ill say this. THERE ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE. You can never get that back when its gone.

• Alc, johndeereelfman, Bmerf and 2 others have said thanks

#6 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 07:29 AM

If my big ten would still be original I wouldn't mess with it

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 07:38 AM

I like paint!  Who wants to look at old rusty metal? Besides, once you paint it, and use it, it gets oily and dirty and some marks/scratches again and in no time will look like it should maybe?  AND, it allows you to clean up pivots and places that need work to be right. You have to take all apart for that, so why not paint too?

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 07:43 AM

I'd consider degreasing it out and cleaning the original paint and see how it looks

• truck21, T Guiles and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 07:44 AM

For the most part, I like looking at the battle scars on mine.
But I understand the want to refresh, restore, repaint as we all enjoy them and want "them to be happy" I guess.
Since you've already done a little touch up, it might be harder to not want to finish... So these pics may be the record of how good it looked. Print them, put them in a photo album, and take them to shows.
  • truck21, HANKG and T Guiles have said thanks

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:33 AM

Well, that's a tough call. Since you already painted the rear wheels, you may as well strip and paint the front wheels, so the tractor looks a little balanced. As for the grille and hood assembly, I think if you took your time, the white stripes would clean up pretty well with some rubbing/polishing compound. Some engine degreaser or a good power wash would do some wonders just in itself. Do those couple things first, then look at it again and decide. Just that little bit of cleaning may make your mind up one way or the other.

Me personally, I'd do the cleaning and touch up's as I said, then leave it just the way it is. I agree with Bob, they are only original once, and in some cases, the work clothes look much better than a new paint finish. Your tractor isn't bad enough yet, to be classified as a "needing restored" tractor.

However, if this in-decision is really tearing you apart inside or keeping you awake at night, just let us know. We have a good councilor service here at GTtalk, and are always willing to help out a member in need. I recommend someone comes up to your place, meets with you for about an hour, and eases your pain and suffering by taking the tractor off your hands so you won't have to go through this anymore. We are here for you. It's what we do. Free of charge, all because we Love You man! :thumbs:  :smilewink:  

• MH81, HANKG and T Guiles have said thanks

#11 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 09:46 AM

I love that someone brought this up, I am stuck in the same situation.  I have come to agree with the above principle "that it is only original once".  I cant bring myself to touch some of the "well used" early tractors.  Unless a restoration is done right, nothing looks worse and is almost sad.  Also, I did a calculation on the expense difference, and it appears that if I plan on keeping it, doing nothing is quite a bit cheaper.

• HANKG and T Guiles have said thanks

#12 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 11:40 AM

I gauge on what shape it is in. I have a 1970 Jactobsen LT 750 that still cuts my lawn but I take it to shows and have no plans of restoring it. Everything on it works and the paint cleans up well so I just show it as a nice original. If it is a total basket case that I have to rebuild like my Massey it will obviously get paint when it gets redone. Most of my other tractors have paint that is beat enough or have been repainted incorrectly already so that they will one day get a restoration.

#13 The Fife Plooman ONLINE  

The Fife Plooman
  • Member No: 54903
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Hi  T Guiles

I tried Owatrol oil on one of my walk behinds,  it is an air dried oil,easy to work with,wash tractor well, take of rust flakes  and applyWelcome home.JPG          nice look.JPG thin coats of oil

See my results

• T Guiles and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#14 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 12:32 PM

Personally, I would leave it as it is and treat it with a protective coat of oil like the post above. One of the reasons why I bought my Bolens 1254 is because of its originality and its honesty and at the moment I am keen to maintain it as it is.

Here's a photo of it when I bought it. I have given it a quick wash at the moment and I am gradually buying a few bits and bobs to get it running again.

image.jpg

#15 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 12:47 PM

Come spring the front tires will get a coat of paint" shoes do make the man". I don't have the original belt gaurds for it or the original carb and air cleaner. I really like the look of your walk behind Plooman, they do have a semi gloss clear coat that gives about the same finish. The only attachment I have for it is a snow blower, and to be honest I am sure the gt won't see much use. I really want to thank everyone for the input, but am still on the fence about it.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you