• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 VTXrider OFFLINE  

• Member No: 16031
  • 456 Thanks
  • 329 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Looks like no answer yet.

If it looks that good Dalex, I would leave it in and just change the filter. Refer to the owners manual for type of oil needed. Plain 20wt oil recommended for your tractor transmission is no longer readily available.

Straight 30wt will work to top it off. Some people change to hydraulic oil when doing a full drain and replace. I have found conflicting information concerning this practice. Others have said 10w30 works just fine. There is more on this subject at the MTF web site also. http://gardentractor...s/forum/27-mtd/

As long as the trans runs cool, the oil lasts just about forever with normal homeowner use. If you use it to make a living or till gardens or other heavy use, then change the hyd oil every couple of years. Change engine oil every year with normal usage.

Edited by VTXrider, March 14, 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#17 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,742 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 01:10 AM

I have recently acquired a White Yard Boss GT 1655--less an engine.  I have put in a Kohler 18 hp engine.  Everything works, however the transmission is low on oil/fluid.  

Can someone tell me what kind of oil/fluid it takes?

Thank you.

I have a 74 GT1655 hydro.  Owner's manual says approx. 5 quarts Type F or Type A ATF with filter change.  Be carefull.  I put 4.5 quarts in mine and it overflowed--had to drain some out.  Make sure you run the hydraulics after filling and check again.

Utah Smitty

#18 Guest_Fluid_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 24, 2013 - 09:31 AM

Here is a few pics of my GT1655White Yard Boss GT-1655 pictures by michael13613 - Photobucket

Bought it a couple of years ago from a guy sight unseen for $250 with tiller and 50" deck. I restored it the summer I got it.

Thats one cool looking MTD. I like all the labels, anyone should be able to run that baby. Fine job on the tiller too. I hope my mine turns out half as good as yours. 

• mmclaughlin said thank you