• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 11:38 AM

My BIL plowed his new garden in virgin sod yesterday. We're hauling manure to the fields, so I saved some in the tank & fertilized his garden. Can't go in there with a full tank or I'd leave tracks. Ground is solid & dry, so he should have a good fertilized new garden. Last year his garden was across the road & soil is totally different & liked to never have dried out after the manure application. His new garden is sandy soil, so should dry out quickly for him to till everything well.
Sure be glad when garden pl,anting times comes. I love messing in the garden. Won't be long before I'll have to prepare a strip for broccoli. I usually grow onions, tomatoes, broccoli, green beans, lots of sweet corn, & squash. No potatoes this year....too much problem trying to spray for potato beetles. Those things seem to laugh at any pesticide I use.

#2 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 11:50 AM

I am going to get some horse manure to let sit until next spring. I have the compost ready for this year.

We want to try growing broccoli this year.

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 02:20 PM

I love broccoli & cheese! I have great success raising broccoli, but the cheese seeds have never germinated!:rofl2::rofl2:
My broccoli heads will almost always be 8" across! Some bigger, some smaller, but always a great crop.
I'm cheating, sheared a shaft bolt in manure spreader, so came in & posted on a coffee break!:laughingteeth:

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 04:08 PM

I love broccoli & cheese! I have great success raising broccoli, but the cheese seeds have never germinated!:rofl2::rofl2:
My broccoli heads will almost always be 8" across! Some bigger, some smaller, but always a great crop.
I'm cheating, sheared a shaft bolt in manure spreader, so came in & posted on a coffee break!:laughingteeth:

Better a shaft bolt, than a link in the apron chain!! :smile1:

If you ever figure out a way to get them "cheese seeds" to grow... let me know!!!
Also, since you're a dairy guy, if you have any milk seeds, I'll buy some from ya if the price is right. :laughingteeth:

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 05:09 PM

No apron chains, liquid 3,000gl tanks. I have milk seeds...we call them calves!:rofl2:
My day ended not so good. Dad wanted me to use my JB tractor with my chisel tooth harrow to work some seed in around the new hay shed. First, the harrow was behind every piece of GT stuff I have, so a beast to get out. Then when I backed my JB out of the shed, I didn't notice the air hose had curled over the front wheel.....yep, problems. My air is routed through PVC, and I know, not recommended, but has been in there for many years, but not now! Busted it where it goes through the wall. After it goes through wall, then it goes behind tool bench, so gonna be difficult to splice in a repair. Now back to harrowing....too many sharp angles & it broke the weld on the harrow hitch. Time to quit! I am so tired from the day's work that everything I touch will end in disaster, so my day is done! At least I haven't drawn blood!....yet!:rolleyes:

#6 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 06:20 PM

Oh yeah... forgot you were doing liquid.

Sounds like you had one of them... "if I didn't have any bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"... days

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 07:11 PM

Oh yeah... forgot you were doing liquid.

Sounds like you had one of them... "if I didn't have any bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"... days

Well, not all that bad really. Just when you're worn out & things go nuts it makes it seem much worse than it really is. $5 of PVC fittings will fix my air line. A 2 minute job welding the harrow hitch back on. Besides the sheared bolt, the other manure tank had a tire going down fast, but my son got it to his shop in time. I plugged it & away he went.
Just having so much going on makes it all crazy. Tomorrow I take my wife to doc to check on her plastic surgery where skin cancer was removed and it's a 150 mile round trip. Then the next day we head to Atlanta for dairy meeting.....700+ mile round trip, going down one morning, coming back the next afternoon. I'm gonna be butt-dragging! I'm not fond of driving through Nashville & Atlanta!

#8 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 08:37 PM

Yeah, it just seems like some farm days go that way. I know several places that use the PVC for their air lines. One of them is at our local Farm Services Tire Center. It must work pretty good. Never heard anybody complain about it. Sure would be easy to work with.
Have a safe trip on your traveling... that's a lot of miles in just a few days. I don't like the big city traffic either.

Hope you don't mind if I add a story... It kind of falls in line with the original fertilizer subject.

A few years ago I was working on a hog farm. It was one of those miserable, early spring days, and we were hauling manure. I was running the spreader (the kind with the apron chain) pulling it with a White 105? tractor. As an explanation to some of you, who have never had the pleasure/displeasure of hauling manure, this particular manure spreader had a gate in the back. It's purpose is to contain the manure in the spreader when it is overly wet. Because it was raining that day, needless to say, the manure we were hauling was really soupy. So, I get loaded up, and I'm heading down the road toward the field where I'm going to spread this load. Now, you've got to realize something here, in order to get the right picture of what's about to happen... The road in front of this farm used to be gravel, but not anymore. Now it's paved, and has traffic like you wouldn't believe. Olcowhand can probably understand what happens when "city runs into farm country"... somethings are hard to do, but you can't move the farm! Well, I get close to the corner, where I'm going to turn left into the field, and I notice a whole line of cars coming up behind me. I reached down to put the turn signal on (it's on the dash of these old White tractors). While I'm reaching down, my coat sleeve gets caught on one of the hydraulic levers. It just happens to be the one that opens that gate I was talking about earlier. Well I realized, right away, what I did. But it was too late. Several hundred gallons of the most P U manure went running out on the road! Having this stench out on the road was bad enough, but the real embarrassment was those cars that were following me. I found out why there was such a long line of them... it was a funeral procession! Well, you don't turn a funeral procession around, or stop and wait, so they had to drive through the mess...white hearse, limo, and all the nice shiny cars! Boy, if I ever wanted to crawl into a hole... that was the day!!! I still get teased about it, once in a while. Everybody gets a laugh, including me, but it still kind of makes me want to look for a rock to crawl under!

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:10 PM

OMG Bill! I figured I had the story down till I read "funeral procession"! You just topped anything I ever did with manure! I can almost feel what you felt like! NOT GOOD! And that is one BIG understatement!

#10 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Manure is manure, but there's something really bad about hog manure. We used to have to wash our hands in bleach to get rid of the smell. I never heard any feedback, about those funeral cars, but I bet they had to wash them several times!

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:24 PM

OMG Bill! I figured I had the story down till I read "funeral procession"! You just topped anything I ever did with manure! I can almost feel what you felt like! NOT GOOD! And that is one BIG understatement!

LMAO, that funeral story is awesome. I mean am I cruel for thinking that, at least the guy/gal went out with some excitement on their last trip down the road LOL.

Did you guys ever mess with cleaning out turkey houses? That was the worst thing I ever had to do.

#12 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:38 PM

I had to clean out an old chicken house, one time. I suppose that's about the same as cleaning after turkeys. It's pretty bad too. I've heard you can't put it on a garden... nothing will grow... not even weeds!

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:41 PM

The ammonia from the stuff is terrible, I can see why nothing would grow.

#14 Bolens1669L OFFLINE  

Bolens1669L

• Member No: 123
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 02:52 AM

Hello Everyone. New member. First post today. March 20 , 2010

Does anyone know what type of fertilzer to use for an Organic garden that has bugs eating the roots of al my plants. They wiped out my cucumbers , tomatoes, Zuccinni, cantelopes, Butternut squash and watermelons around mid june. I would appreciate some direction on what to use and how to apply. I have never used anything on the garden in 7 years.

Thanks in advance.

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 04:41 AM

Welcome Bolens 1669L, glad to have here.