Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Power King electrical system (adding light(s))?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 09:03 PM

What is the power generation capacity of these tractors?  I have a 1618 with the K361 engine.  I operate a lot at night so some extra light would be nice but I'm afraid traditional halogens would draw too many amps.  I haven't had any luck finding info on what the engine generates to charge the battery and possibly support additional loads.  Does anyone happen to know or have any experience?

Thanks!

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 09:13 PM

I'm not sure of the figures anymore but perhaps you could look into some LED work lights.  That way, it really doesn't matter all that much.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 09:46 PM

Think 15 amps is output on most of big K engine singles. Used to be 10, but changed to 15.  LED's don't need many amps, and won't get hot and melt something they are mounted on. Cost more tho.

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 995 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 10:51 AM

Yes the K361 has a 15 amp charging system, as suggested LED's would be the best to hold the amperage draw down I've seen post where guys have installed them and they seem to work good.

#5 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info.  I have been considering LEDs but you are right, definitely more expensive.

I was planning to add a battery box and mount my switches to it so I don't drill any permanent holes in the tractor.  I want to make up some brackets that use the fender mounting bolts for the forward facing lights to accomplish the same thing (no holes in the tractor).  But I also has a 5 month old baby so we'll see how many tractor project I can start/finish.