Garden Tractor Forums banner

Another craigslist "know nothing" S16 for sale

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  suieswam 
#1 ·
From the ad:

http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/4813395772.html

arien tractor with snowblowe - $700 (skowhegan)

I have a ariens 16hp kohler engine, automatic, pto front and back. missing the shaft that connects the pto to blower, pto works great. You wont find anything better for the money.

From seller via email: "all i know is they drove it off of the trailer. what you see is what you get."

S/he knows one thing... it's worth 700 bucks... other than that you get to drive to the middle of the sticks with no idea what you're going to find... except that "you won't find anything better for the money."

These "deals" usually end up expiring off craigs until next winter, when they finally drop the price after leaving it out in the rain/weeds/mice all summer....

Anybody else seeing this where you live?

See less See more
#4 ·
I see that occasionally.

If I was a mean person, I would write her and ask if having a seat would make another tractor better for the money... :smilewink:

Ben W.

Reactions: Oldford
#5 ·
I see that occasionally.

If I was a mean person, I would write her and ask if having a seat would make another tractor better for the money... :smilewink:

Ben W.
I must be getting nicer as i get older... or just learning to bite my tongue

I offered her 250 and told her it was based on "what I see" in the pics, not knowing anything else, and am able to pick it up (people around here ask if you can deliver).

I was surprised to get a nice note back from the seller saying 400 is the best she can do. She came down almost half, and nobody got upset.

I found a better tractor for me I'm trying to snag now, but I feel ok about the Ariens seller at least being willing to negotiate. Glad I resisted the urge to be a smartass

#8 ·
I am thinking that it is a decent price. A 48" two stage blower and a 16 horse K series Kohler. At least around here it would be a good deal.
$400 seems good here too if it checks out. The missing air cleaner is a concern, how long did they run it like that? Current owner doesn't know. I found a deck shaft online, ebay seller says it also works for the blower http://www.ebay.com/itm/321292708743?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT $100

Not knowing what i'm looking at and the seller not knowing i wouldn't know what other blower parts may be missing. Now I've got 2 tractors ahead of this one i'm checking out first. Can always fall back on this one if need be

#14 ·
On the hydraulics... there looked to be a splitter valve between the front and back lift. Could the rear lift circuit be routed up front? to power angle a 4-way blade like JD or bolens

or is there another circuit that could be routed to front?
There is no "splitter valve". There is a mechanical selection lever to choose between front/mid lift only, or rear lift only. There is one lift cylinder that provides power for both, but can operate only one at a time. One could add plumbing and valves to do a hydraulic tilt, but it sounds like a lot of work to me that my arm can do just fine! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.