• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ChopRod OFFLINE  

ChopRod
  • Member No: 50072
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Hi all. Noticed today that the rear tires on my Ford LGT 145 say SEARS on the sidewall and are in really nice shape. Didn't notice several months ago while doing some tire swapping.

How long ago did Sears have their name on garden tractor tires? Or are they still doing it today??? Doubt it but want to know. 

Let me know.

Keith

• hamman said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 09:29 PM

Sears was the big guy in retailing.   If they wanted their name on tires, they got a "Yes, sir!" and a salute! 

I think they contracted with Firestone to supply them with tires... but that is just my memory.  

Ben W.

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and ChopRod have said thanks

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 09:59 PM

Sears used their name and the Allstate brand name on tires since the advent of the tire option in the 30's. New tires with your Sears equipment was option, as they had a program called "used tire" which promoted the use of car and truck tires on things like wagon and Garden Tractors.

• MH81, EricFromPa, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 09:58 AM

Sears used their name and the Allstate brand name on tires since the advent of the tire option in the 30's. New tires with your Sears equipment was option, as they had a program called "used tire" which promoted the use of car and truck tires on things like wagon and Garden Tractors.

If you look at the Sears road trailers and some of the DB walk behinds of the fifties they came with surplus jeep tires. There were millions of surplus tires around. By the sixties much of the surplus stuff with rubber had deterriorated. In 67 I looked at a WWII surplus jeep still in its original shipping box for $200. The man had many of them but, warned me that I would have to put a new wiring harness in it when I assembled it, because the insulation had disintegrated. That seemed over my head so, I passed on it. Good Luck, Rick

• ChopRod said thank you

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 12:34 PM

Sears was big with the "allstate" brand.  They sold "allstate" scooters that were imported Vespa with their name on them.  Pretty collectible today

• ChopRod said thank you

#6 wahoowad OFFLINE  

wahoowad
  • Member No: 63279
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:03 PM

Old school Sears - note the Allstate automotive shop to the right in the background that was part of Sears.

Scan-73.jpg

• KennyP, Lauber1, johnwesley and 2 others have said thanks

#7 ChopRod OFFLINE  

ChopRod
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:34 PM

Yes, very familiar with the Allstate brands. When very young, my father had an Allstate motorcycle made by Puch with the 'twingle' engine.

But when was the last of the Sears branded tires? Would these tires be worth something to someone restoring a Sears garden tractor? Size is 23x10.50x12. Not weather checked, nice tread. If someone could really use them, be glad to help out. I know I'd appreciate the same thing my way. Otherwise, will keep using them as they are.

Thanks again in advance for any input.

Edited by ChopRod, January 12, 2015 - 03:35 PM.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 05:43 PM

Old school Sears - note the Allstate automotive shop to the right in the background that was part of Sears.

Scan-73.jpg

Darn, here I  thought  you was going to post a Sears Farm store picture. Those are a rare thing.

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 05:45 PM

Yes, very familiar with the Allstate brands. When very young, my father had an Allstate motorcycle made by Puch with the 'twingle' engine.

But when was the last of the Sears branded tires? Would these tires be worth something to someone restoring a Sears garden tractor? Size is 23x10.50x12. Not weather checked, nice tread. If someone could really use them, be glad to help out. I know I'd appreciate the same thing my way. Otherwise, will keep using them as they are.

Having the Sears branded are ok, but by the time a Suburban used tires that big, the tractors were made by Roper and the Sears meaning was almost nothing

• ChopRod said thank you

#10 ChopRod OFFLINE  

ChopRod
  • 52 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 06:25 PM

OK. Thanks for the info. Never know until one asks. If anyone does read this, feel free to contact me if interested.

Only Sears gt I used was at a job during high school back in the mid 70's. The owner bought a new 16hp. Still remember how powerful it was compared to the 8hp gt used at a previous job.

Keith

• Lauber1 said thank you

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 06:29 PM

wish you could find some 6x12 tires that have Sears on them.

• ChopRod said thank you

#12 wahoowad OFFLINE  

wahoowad
  • Member No: 63279
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Too bad I'm so far away. My new-to-me 78 Sears GT18 has 2 rotted rear tires and I'm thinking of ordering tubes. I'd rather have these tires but imagine shipping would be the breaker.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 05:30 AM

Strap them to a pallet and use Fastenal!

• Lauber1 and MountainMichael have said thanks

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 06:30 PM

bet you would be surprised how little it would cost  you to ship them. I shipped several hundred pounds of tools/boxes half way acrosst the county for only $160. Pretty sure these tire don't weight that much.

• wahoowad said thank you

#15 junkyardjeff OFFLINE  

junkyardjeff
  • Member No: 50084
  • 69 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:07 PM

I could use those tires,I looked at mine today and they are cracked.