Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

First riding mower - thinking Cub Cadet XT2 with Kawasaki engine?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Enderman OFFLINE  

Enderman
  • Member No: 66175
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 12:12 PM

Thanks everyone! This site has been much more helpful and friendly than others I've visited.

You bring up an interesting point I hadn't considered HDWildBill. Can prices on these things potentially be negotiated? I had just assumed the sticker price is the price. If it helps any, I live in southwestern Illinois, just outside of St. Louis, MO. Is it worth trying to work with the dealer on pricing? For what I'm looking at though, I think the next steps up are either a considerable jump in price or a jump in size to the point that it would just be uncalled for with my size lawn, so it may not be worth the effort.

I had definitely heard the advice about purchasing from dealer vs big box store and found a Cub dealer about 30 minutes south of me. If I go with the Cub Cadet, that is for sure where I will be going. In addition to the service and repair work they offer, I would much rather put money into a local business and local people whenever possible.

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 12:33 PM

If going to a dealer, I'd haggle on the price!

• Enderman said thank you

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 12:52 PM

If going to a dealer, I'd haggle on the price!

For sure, if you are dealing with a dealer then you could possibly get the price down or maybe even get them to throw some attachments in on the deal.  I would also Google, if you haven't already done so, and see it there are some other dealers around you.  Something else I thought of, I know you have done your homework as far as reading and researching the tractors but just because an item gets a good review doesn't mean it will be right for you.  I would suggest physically checking out other brand tractor dealer, drive them around, engage the blades and then compare it to your research and see which one you like the best.

#19 Enderman OFFLINE  

Enderman
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 02:01 PM

What sort of wiggle room do dealers have on these things? For example the bagger attachment is almost $450 by itself. Surely they wouldn't have enough room to get that thrown in for free would they? I just have no idea the mark-up on these things and at the same time I don't want to completely screw the local guy too.

#20 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 02:40 PM

When I sold cub cadets at homedepot 2 yrs ago it was the number one brand to come back. We also have ariens and john deere. The john deeres were a better build quality and we sold a lot more john deere tractors. I would stay way from cub cadet. I would go find an older gt and keep it for years
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#21 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 04:02 PM

The mark up on tractors and attachment is only 20 - 30%. They can't negotiate much. 

Dealers tend to have the units they sell on "Floor Plan Financing." so they pay the bank back the dealer cost and keep the remaining for profit.

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 04:10 PM

There's not much wiggle room anymore for dealers, due to the big box stores selling stuff for pennies on the dollar the Mom and pop shops that are still surviving out there don't have much room to haggle at all!

#23 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 04:32 PM

One thing to look at is what are you going to do with it. If all you are doing is mowing then the xt2 should be fine. But if you are going to use it for more then that I would look at the XT3 GSX it costs more but is a far better looking tractor with some good specs.

#24 Enderman OFFLINE  

Enderman
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 05:10 PM

One thing to look at is what are you going to do with it. If all you are doing is mowing then the xt2 should be fine. But if you are going to use it for more then that I would look at the XT3 GSX it costs more but is a far better looking tractor with some good specs.

If I had almost 3 times the budget and much, much larger lawn, I'd absolutely be considering it!  :smilewink:

#25 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 08:03 AM

Good luck with your choice! If you go with a new Cub Cadet expect a worn cam lobe(s)  in 150 hrs if it is a Kohler Courage engine. Worn steering gear and bushing about the same time frame. Loose/warn or missing hardware. Powder coat paint will start lifting in about 50 hrs of use. My neighbor had a 1550 with 172 hrs (Kohler Command power plant was good) but I installed the new steering gear & bushing, replaced missing hardware, welded up the cracks in the mowing deck and repaired the rear rim from running it loose (4 lug hole). And a few other issues I repaired + service. He sold it after I got done and bought a new Husqvarna ( I'm thinking "here he goes again")...BUT 3 years later all I have done for him is sharpen the blades and plugged a tire + service. He is a retired fellow and not mechanically inclined so I don't mind helping him out. I'm not a dealer nor do I work on other folks equipment all the time but have helped out with friends, family and a few neighbors with their Cubs. There is no comparison from a old Cub to the new ones...but let me state this; the Husqvarna has impressed me with very little issues that I have found. Again, good luck with your choice!        

• toomanytoys84 and Enderman have said thanks

#26 chuckt OFFLINE  

chuckt
  • Member No: 54024
  • 14 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted March 07, 2015 - 09:15 AM

We have a CC LT-1046 for a 1 acre+. 4 yrs old now. I have seen the loose steering bushings already. Only service has been blades and oil. Florida sand eats blades so I use 2 sets/year.
In general I'd say get a 2 cylinder 'cause I had a JD single and the buzzing was more than I was willing to live with. Glad to be rid of that.