#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 11:54 AM

all the plans, drawings, patents, renderings and dies and tooling that were used to make our various GTs of interest here on GTtalk.

I long wondered what has become of all of these things. I know you can search the US Patent office but I've not been able to find much on the Homelite brand other than there being a dispute about Textron and some one claiming to have already used the Homelite brand before them.

Just got to thinking that where did all those dies that made the parts and pieces go to. Are we now driving some of them? If you think really hard and take some time to day dream you could also dream that somewhere in America there is  a secret warehouse that holds all of the dies, tooling and papers of each and every GT or walk behind ever made. Further dreaming brings up images of dust covered crates that hold one each of every model of our prized tractors. They had been set in this secret warehouse to be left for us to find all these years later. To be opened and found to be in new and untouched condition for all these 60 plus years. Somewhere in that warehouse is a massive filing system , also left for us to discover, that holds all of the drawings, specs, patents and plans on a design, production and manufacturing these beauties.

Now to reality, I realize that I have a case of cabin fever and I need to stop thinking about this and go out and rotate the battery chargers on all 14 of the batteries I have for all the GTs and other tractors and 4 wheelers. Still it was, is, fun to think about this subject.

Thanks for letting me ramble on this cold sunny winter Sunday morning. Hope you have a great rest of you Sunday and a better week coming up.                                                                                                                                                        Roger

• Gtractor, MH81, KennyP and 12 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 11:58 AM

I've always been a firm believer in somewhere there is a brand new "insert whatever" in a barn basement ect.
  • hamman, tinbender7, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 12:22 PM

Heck, I'd settle for one in near new condition!

• hamman, tinbender7 and superaben have said thanks

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 12:25 PM

I collect Brett Favre cards. I came across a guy that had some printing plates for some cards I had. Too much for me though. I did buy some uncut sheets that had nine cards to a sheet with BF on them. I have wondered about this too...interesting.
  • hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 12:42 PM

I know as we look for answers about Wheel Horse tractors we find that a lot of records or information about them is "non-existing" or burried so deep that it hasn't been found.

Things like total number of a model built, or beginning/ending serial numbers just aren't available.

Yeah, you are right about the cabin fever!

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 12:49 PM

OK, world is NOT like on Indiana Jones films.    I work GM.  When things brake, whole engines with problems, trannies, transfer cases, they write it off as scrap (charging right department of course) and it goes out in big scrap metal bins around on property. Even whole cabs, boxes, fenders, frames, whatever. Most get squashed up to make room in the container. GM says it costs too much to load on trucks, deliver back to makers, have them put time in them to rebuild or save parts, and ship out again. the local scrap yard in Ft. Wayne gets all this, not sure where it all goes to from there. I've even seen body weld robots laying in piles at one place I used to go, from when they put new types in.

At a tractor show with fella selling Speedex. Claimed he made the bids on the auctions for many left-overs from company. He tried to sell the frames and many parts, got no takers he claims and he scrapped it all.  He got all the office furniture and paper-work also. Again, no one wanted manuals and such, said he burnt up the piles  or papers to get rid of them!!! Made me sick! 

Power King bounced around between many owners in last few years of life. Factory's and machines long gone, one company now owns all the rights and what there is for inventory, but no longer making anything.

What I"M saying is unless some Millionaire had money and space to buy and keep all the mark, like De Lorians cars were supposed to have done, there is nothing left in secret hiding places to come out again. AND, with Gov regulations for safety and environment to make it saleable again, would be too costly to start up again.

• Gtractor, GTTinkerer, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 01:10 PM

About the closest I have ever seen was an old tractor dealership we had here in my area,the man who owned it was killed in a tractor accident.The will stayed tied up a fight between the family for many many years and no one was able to even touch the place...then one day (after 25-30 years)they loaded up trucks with tractors,garden tractors and more old stock parts than I had ever seen.Not sure where any of this stuff went..I did mange to get a roll if fuel line out of the deal,they were trowing away all the rubber part(also got a box with John Deere O-rings in it..(O-Ring assortment kit.)

• hamman, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 01:19 PM

Small companies would have patterns and dies stored at their local foundries. All cast parts had wooden patterns. Most america foundries closed in the 70s and 80s. Some old factory buildings still have piles of them in unused corners but most went to scrap. Its all still a treasure hunt because you never know what you will find in old yards and buildings. Happy Hunting and Good Luck, Rick

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 01:44 PM

Most dies and tooling are intentionally cut up and discarded - sad as that is. 

I remember back in 1982 my brother was totally redooing a 64 Impala SS convert that needed new quarter panels.  At the time the only thing available was 2-piece quarters, front half and back half, split vertically through the wheel opening.  Story was GM had cut the dies in half and put them in the scrap pile.  Someone "saved" the dies out of the scrap bin and was offering "new" quarter panels - albeit in two pieces. 

• hamman, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 01:45 PM

Small companies would have patterns and dies stored at their local foundries. All cast parts had wooden patterns. Most america foundries closed in the 70s and 80s. Some old factory buildings still have piles of them in unused corners but most went to scrap. Its all still a treasure hunt because you never know what you will find in old yards and buildings. Happy Hunting and Good Luck, Rick

According to my uncle who worked at a stamping plant that made international scout body panels that when the line was dropped the panels and dies were stacked up and left in the warehouse.

He kept his scout looking new for many years as he had a huge supply of body parts.
  • hamman, tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 08:23 PM

While surfing for Homelite patents I came across this one from Textron Corp. from 1974 -

homelitetrencher.PNG homelitetrenchingtool2.PNG homelitetrenchingtool3.PNG

Wonder if they ever made these for the Homelites? Interesting.                                                                         Roger

Edited by hamman, January 11, 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 12:07 AM

Could be way off base here but I think I remember reading that some of the patterns and factory drawings / prints for the Panzer tractors made it through to Jim Haynes of Dandy Sales. He basically owns what's left of Copar/Pennsylvania. I saw him at the Little Guys show a few years back looking through several thick binders of factory documents.

Edited by Canawler, January 12, 2015 - 12:08 AM.