• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:27 PM

Does anyone have wheel spin problem in reverse ? My 314 has a problem backing up on most any kind of grade wet or dry and will get stuck in rock going forward or backwords. When I pushed snow last year no problem except steering .
I have 7 gallons of washer fluid in each rear tire (23x10.50x 12 turf) with chains , plus 75lb of barbell weights on each. I weigh210 lbs . Total approx 470 lbs . I'm considering another 100 lbs on back .
Any one care to weigh in on this spinning problem?

larryd
005.JPG 001.JPG
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#2 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:39 PM

Larry,I would look into a little more aggressive tire.

#3 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:56 PM

When backing up a slope part of your 210lbs is getting transferred toward the front end.
Mike
  • GTTinkerer and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 01:19 AM

You mention chains, so different tires aren't going to help IMO, unless you are considering going bigger. The chains are the better option from my perspective.
I had about the same weight on my Suburban 12 and would have issues only on ice with the blower lifted. I found if I lowered the throttle and slipped the clutch when I started backwards, it would make a big difference.

The extra 100 on the tail may be what you need, I would only run it for the winter and pull it off tho.
  • rustyoldjunk and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 01:33 AM

Too much air in tires with chains pulled very tight? Try a little less pressure?

• rustyoldjunk and MH81 have said thanks

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 02:37 AM

You mention chains, so different tires aren't going to help IMO, unless you are considering going bigger. The chains are the better option from my perspective.
I had about the same weight on my Suburban 12 and would have issues only on ice with the blower lifted. I found if I lowered the throttle and slipped the clutch when I started backwards, it would make a big difference.

The extra 100 on the tail may be what you need, I would only run it for the winter and pull it off tho.

I missed that you had chains on. Bigger tire will not help. Wider tires are to spread the weight for less PSI on the ground and less compaction and that is the opposite of traction. A narrower tire will normally bite better.

Too much air in tires with chains pulled very tight? Try a little less pressure?

I would second GL. With all the weight and chains,too much air is the only other thing that I could think of. Less air pressure might get you better traction.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, January 11, 2015 - 02:43 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 07:31 AM

Backing up hill on loose material is always a worst case situation. Now that you have dual brakes you might be able to use them to transfer some power to the non spinning wheel. I've never tried it, and I'm sure it takes some practice, but it may help get you unstuck.  I have also found lower air pressure in turf tires makes a big difference. I lower mine to the point where the tire has some sidewall flex. Don't worry about overloading the rear axle on the 314. It's a heavy Dana unit and is rated for 1800lbs. Wheel weight and loaded tires don't count towards that total as they are on the wheel and not the axle. Steering can be a problem if you get too much weight out behind the rear axle. Chains can be used in summer as well if you need them, although they are a bit of trouble to install. 

• rustyoldjunk, superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 07:54 AM

#9 Coventry Plumber ONLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 08:34 AM

Is it possible to put two sets of wheel weights on a JD? That's how I have my CC set up and it helps quite a bit.

#10 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 09:05 AM

Just thinking out loud is your front axle pivot nice and free so it can float real nice, that can make traction an issue. Or even a brake that is dragging  some 

#11 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Those tires have forward facing grooves in them.My little Cub Cadet 2185 also had forward facing grooves and would get stuck backing up on level ground with the wheel turned a bit.I borrowed my neighbors Tire groover.I put grooves in them every 2 inches.The tires were in good condition but were starting to get a little hard.

If you can borrow a Tire Groover for a few hours I would give it a shot before buying new tires.I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

#12 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:31 PM

The best combination for traction on hard packed snow and ice is loaded turfs with chains, wheel weights, and for your tractor, up to 400 lb of counterweight. Be careful with the counterweight on the rear. There is a balance point at which steering becomes problematical with too much weight hanging off the back of the tractor.

The chains on my MF1655 are tight and the tires are pumped up to the max recommended pressure. With loaded tires and a 5' back blade on the 3PH, that's enough to pull cars and trucks out of snow banks and ditches.

I'll second JDBrian's comment about weight shift when backing up hill. For that scenario, you definitely need more weight at the rear of the tractor.

#13 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for all the comments gentlemen. I only have 5lbs of air in tires. Chains are almost snug

I'm going to try more weight on rear . The individual brakes do help , but hard to get use to using. I might consider the tire grooving . Sounds feasable, but with chains on I doon't know .

larryd

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 09:26 AM

I've never had any tractor that would back up an incline very well that wasn't paved.

I always wondered what would happen if you put on ag tire on "backwards"..

Ride the brake a bit to "lock" the rear end.

Maybe I'm crazy...been told that a few times.