• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 09:40 PM

I plan on doing one this summer. Using a original cub cadet deck Briggs 4wheels metal frame and for hight adjustment I plan on using a drag section depth leaver

#17 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 01:50 PM

I keep thinking about doing the same thing. I have two different types of decks. Ones that were used with a vertical motor and belt and another that has a gear box on the top of the deck from a shaft drive.

I keep wondering if I were to have a rear PTO and attach a shaft to the one that has a gear box maybe I could use it like a brush-hog. :pushmower:

#18 GreenAcreHomestead OFFLINE  

GreenAcreHomestead
  • Member No: 73567
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 12:11 PM

Hey.... that deck looks like a snapper... could it be???  :rocker2:

#19 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted July 30, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Poncho has one, Ford deck self powered pulled by a GT, either straight behind or offset.

I know its an old thread,,,,built this a few years ago...It worked OK......I dismantled it recently......I just dont have a use for it now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Brush mower 019 (Medium).jpg
  • Brush mower 021 (Medium).jpg

• DH1 and Alc have said thanks

#20 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 09:29 AM

I know its an old thread,,,,built this a few years ago...It worked OK......I dismantled it recently......I just dont have a use for it now.

Poncho, do you happen to have a writeup on this build?? With lots of pictures on how you did this??

#21 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted August 01, 2015 - 03:56 PM

Brush mower 008 (Medium).jpg

Poncho, do you happen to have a writeup on this build?? With lots of pictures on how you did this??

I am sorry, but I dont....I have a couple of pics, but they dont show a whole lot....

What I did was, took the Ford deck and put the front part of a cheapo MTD type tractor on top of it. Looking at the pics, you can see what I mean. The vertical shaft of the B&S engine drives the pulley of the Ford deck. I put an idler pulley under there that tightens the belt so it can be turned on and off. That extra handle sticking up does this....The pulleys is something I should have taken some pics of. 

Here is a few pics I did take

Attached Thumbnails

• Brush mower 013 (Medium).jpg
  • Brush mower 006 (Medium).jpg
  • Brush mower 014 (Medium).jpg
  • Brush mower 015 (Medium).jpg

#22 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted August 02, 2015 - 10:30 PM

I stumbled onto a Swisher Trailmower last year that I am just now gettin around to fixing up; 44" finish mower, orig engine was a 10-1/2HP Briggs, long gone, PO bolted a 14HP single cyl Vanguard to it but never finished it up, I have to rig a gas tank for it and a battery tray, (orig was pull start and self contained gas tank within engine shroud) 

just gotta weld up a couple brackets and those will be done. Just got it totally dismantled and out for sandblasting yesterday///once the original (and coming-apart) powdercoat and rust are gone I can do my welding

#23 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 12:55 PM

attachicon.gifBrush mower 008 (Medium).jpg

I am sorry, but I dont....I have a couple of pics, but they dont show a whole lot....

What I did was, took the Ford deck and put the front part of a cheapo MTD type tractor on top of it. Looking at the pics, you can see what I mean. The vertical shaft of the B&S engine drives the pulley of the Ford deck. I put an idler pulley under there that tightens the belt so it can be turned on and off. That extra handle sticking up does this....The pulleys is something I should have taken some pics of. 

Here is a few pics I did take

Thank you for the pics.  I didn't even think about using the platform the motor originaly was attached to.