Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

whats a wheel horse sickle bar mower worth?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 10:04 PM

I have 5 c160s wheel horses in the herd and was offered a sickle bar mower. I like the idea of something different. the owner is 2hrs away , it came off his c160, he says its all there and in reasonable working condition, the only other one I have seen I bought from DH1 in Markham, it had been fudged with and not complete when he got it, he passed it on to me but I thought eventually I would find another and work things out from there, this guy wants $750 for it, they are scarce up here but im thinking it should be worth 300-400 tops, am I just to cheap or is he out of line, yes I know condition and location count  but I could be convinced to do a road trip  thanks john

Edited by farmer john, January 10, 2015 - 10:08 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:29 PM

I have seen them here for less than half that price, but that's here in the US. Maybe you can one down here and DH1 or IamSherwood can bring it back up there for you for lees money.

• boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:44 PM

im thinking that $750 is way high for a mower of any kind. 3 to 5 hundred would be closer, but it better be a complete one with little or no missing parts, be able to mount right up, and maybe should have decent paint left on it. Even the fudged one may be able to have its parts repair/replaced and become whole again. There are lots of these mowers at shows I go to, someone would let  you measure and picture it for reference.

• farmer john said thank you

#4 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 07:33 AM

that's why I bought DH1s one, I figured it was a good start , the problem is im a spoiled brat and santa didn't bring me one for christmas

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 08:12 AM

I bought one for my sons' AC B10 about 5 years ago for $100 and the guy threw in some Bolens parts. Just shop around and be patient, you never know when things will show up. Fifteen years ago I had picked up my first Bolens, an H14. One afternoon, after work, a friend shows up and gives me a Haban sickle for it. Let people know what you are looking for. Parting thought: in this weather, I don't go any where. The 3 mi drive to the transfer station was scary yesterday. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 11, 2015 - 08:12 AM.

• Alc and farmer john have said thanks

#6 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 09:20 AM

Like the rest of the guys I think that sounds high but there again I don't know what things like that bring up your way .I would think for that kind of money it would be very nice with all parts and a manual

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:52 AM

Like the rest of the guys I think that sounds high but there again I don't know what things like that bring up your way .I would think for that kind of money it would be very nice with all parts and a manual

I agree with this comment. BUT, you know it will fit your C-160 without ANY modifications!

Still, it is too high.

#8 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 11:31 AM

for that amount i'll let him sit on it , we don't have any gt swap meets here that I know of, but possibly there are some in western new york I could go to

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 12:45 PM

for that amount i'll let him sit on it , we don't have any gt swap meets here that I know of, but possibly there are some in western new york I could go to

My favorite swaps for finding GT parts are actually antique auto and truck swaps. You never know what will be there and prices are usually better. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and farmer john have said thanks

#10 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 869 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 11:43 PM

I never thought of that, never been to a car swap meet but I believe there have been some around here, by here I mean 100 miles, but now I will start looking thanks
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 09:34 AM

I never thought of that, never been to a car swap meet but I believe there have been some around here, by here I mean 100 miles, but now I will start looking thanks

They are alot of fun to me. Check out a possible good deal on a sickle    http://gardentractor...-350-mendon-ma/     .

Good Luck, Rick

#12 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 06:06 PM

Burls Creek up north of Barrie, it's big happens twice a yr, takes me 6hrs to walk the grounds to see everything. 

Mostly old car stuff but you do see a few garden tractors and parts.

• boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks