#1 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:11 PM

Guys, please be careful with those snow blowers.

My daughter was at the Emerg today. ( nothing serious)

While there, a guy was brought in, with 1 1/2 legs missing.

He had gotten off his tractor, no parking brake, and blower running.

I don't think I need to say more, other than please be careful.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, hamman and 14 others have said thanks

#2 Titus OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,697 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:14 PM

We call that job security in EMS. Just taking a moment to stop and think can be the difference between life & death.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:39 PM

I agree 100%. Too many times the safety switches are eliminated during a rebuild or even a restore. Jumping off for that quick reason may be the last seat time we have. Thanks Will for the reminder
  • MH81, GTTinkerer, IamSherwood and 5 others have said thanks

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 864 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:51 PM

that happens more than you think, they found the neighbours kid all tangled up in the pto, the family has never been the same, since then I don't get off my tractors unless they are turned off

• MH81, GTTinkerer, IamSherwood and 5 others have said thanks

#5 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:13 PM

I had this driven into me at a young age.  I don't know why the PTO was engaged, I doubt my dad did either.  I was on a wagon being pulled by my dad.  When he stopped, he swung his leg over the back of the seat and stepped down.  The pto caught his pants and wound them up tight.  Here I sat, maybe 6 yrs old watching my dad yell for help.  He was very lucky, before any of us could do anything I hear RIP, looked at the time, kinda funny (remember I was a young child) with my dad standing there with most his pants around the pto and him standing there pretty much naked.  He got lucky that day he was not wearing something like heavy jeans, lucky to still have both his legs.  That was a Farmall, I think an F20.  I remember after that dad was always VERY touchy about us little ones getting near the tractor.

Edited by FrozenInTime, January 10, 2015 - 11:17 PM.

• MH81, GTTinkerer, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,700 Thanks
  • 28,342 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:28 PM

Yesterday, I took a chance I shouldn't have. No close call or anything but I shouldn't have gotten off the tractor like I did. Just trying to help it back it over a frozen lump.
Thanks for the reminder. I will try to do better
  • GTTinkerer, IamSherwood, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:36 PM

That has happened a lot over the years.I can remember as a kid you could find brand new PTO guards in any machine shed in the country. New tractors rarely got to the field, before they were taken off.
When I bought my ford 1500, the guy I bought it from insisted the 5th mower could go with it but he would not sell the mower.
He said since there was no PTO guard on the tractor, would have to use it at my own risk, he would not be responsible.
I told him I had been around equipment since I was 14 and knew to be careful around pros
  • GTTinkerer, IamSherwood, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:07 AM

Too many times I hear of stuff like this happening,. I watched a Uncle one time step over a PTO shaft with raggy coveralls on and they were ripped off him . He got lucky that day as well. To many times people are in a hurry and get careless and do stuff thinking its OK. Lots get away with it and some don't. I hope that I never get that careless and slip up. I do make it a rule to shut stuff down before getting out of the cab / or off the tractor.Sometimes I leave the tractor running but I try and remember to shut it down. I do know there's been a couple of times that the tractor was running and I've actually taken the time to go shut it off.Its times like that that make me think gees I should have shut it down,what was I thinking. Thats when accidents happen when we have a lapse of thinking and are in a hurry.All it takes is a split second to change one's life completely. Be careful out there everyone.

• GTTinkerer and KennyP have said thanks

#9 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 12:23 PM

Great reminder, thanks. I too have seen an arm tangled in the flail bar on a insulage wagon. Hope to never see it again

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,887 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 09:42 AM

Nieghbor farmer down the road had similar thing happen.

He was running auger for corn putting fresh harvest up in silos. He reached down to sweep the grain into shoot with his hands, his flannel shirt got caught in the shaft somehow, it pulled it him. His dad found him him a few mins later, he was wrapped up in auger, ite had broken his neck. He was under 40 yrs old, wife and 2 or 3 kids.

That was rough on the old man, after that, always 2 people around when running augers.