JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 185 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 03:39 PM

looking for some NOS kohler parts if anyone has any. Am in need of k91 parts, I need some...
220111-10 rods
46 874 01 piston sets
Also for the right price interested in .010 over piston sets 46-874-03-S and standard rods 220111

If you have any of these parts please pm me...thanks, Jake

Edited by JakeKuhn, January 10, 2015 - 03:39 PM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,931 Thanks
  • 17,719 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 05:00 PM

Everything you listed is still available from kohler except the standard 220111 Rod

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,796 Thanks
  • 2,371 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 06:35 PM

dont be afraid to scout Ebay, you may be scouting a bit to find what you want for what you want to pay.

I don't trust those cheapie rebuild kits, bought one once, opened it up and inspected the parts, and promptly shipped it back, while I waited for NOS parts to show up at my price. Believe me they will show up at reasonable prices.

But for some reason. some of these people that think a  single piston and rings are worth $150-200, I'd like some of what they are  drinking.. I can get sets of 8 for my son's 360, for less than some of these wishful thinkers are asking for one piston for a small engine.

• JakeKuhn said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 06:44 PM

I have the piston ring sets as an aftermarket part, $16 each, but no pistons.  The piston runs $179.  The oversize rod is $76.  The .010 over piston is $199. 

I would have to order each of those parts.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and JakeKuhn have said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,931 Thanks
  • 17,719 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 07:18 PM

But for some reason. some of these people that think a  single piston and rings are worth $150-200, I'd like some of what they are  drinking.. I can get sets of 8 for my son's 360, for less than some of these wishful thinkers are asking for one piston for a small engine.

If the parts are new they may not be too far off on price, not much you can do when the factory sets a price, guys cant sell something for $25 if it costs them $100 from the factory.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#6 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 185 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:35 PM

Thanks guys for the replies, I am aware most of this stuff is still available from kohler, but am hoping not to spend that kind of money.  Also would prefer to stay away from the aftermarket stuff at this point. Was just hoping maybe someone has something thats been setting on there shelf a while that they don't need and would want to sell. Thanks, Jake

Edited by JakeKuhn, January 10, 2015 - 08:35 PM.

• superaben said thank you

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,796 Thanks
  • 2,371 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Thanks guys for the replies, I am aware most of this stuff is still available from kohler, but am hoping not to spend that kind of money.  Also would prefer to stay away from the aftermarket stuff at this point. Was just hoping maybe someone has something thats been setting on there shelf a while that they don't need and would want to sell. Thanks, Jake

that's what I try and wait for too if I don't need the project done "yesterday"  usually thats where "reasonable" pricing comes in.
I'm surprised that Badger, Perfect Circle, Speed Pro, etc (car piston makers) don't get in on making tehse parets and selling them, been wondering that for a lotsa years now.

• JakeKuhn and superaben have said thanks

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:51 PM

that's what I try and wait for too if I don't need the project done "yesterday"  usually thats where "reasonable" pricing comes in.
I'm surprised that Badger, Perfect Circle, Speed Pro, etc (car piston makers) don't get in on making tehse parets and selling them, been wondering that for a lotsa years now.

They do sell some pistons, but for a lot of engines, there is not enough sales volume to justify the engineering time.  A reproduction K91 piston and rings set priced to go at $49 retail would probably roll like hotcakes to the first 25 guys, then it would dry up to a dribble.  Before long, the next 25 sales would be a fight to the death the whole way.  The best minimum orders piston casters can give is about 250.  At about 20 bucks a piston and probably $5 a set of rings, any reproduction guy would have to be sure his market is there before sinking his cash into that deal.

I know this because I have gone almost to the point of pulling the trigger on reproduction pistons before stopping to think.

Ben W.

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:55 PM

I hear you loud and clear, Jake.  However, bear in mind that Kohler is getting ready to drop support on these parts.  I feel it.  They already dropped the gasket set.  Why sell pistons and rings when the gasket set is obsolete? 

When they do drop active production (if it hasn't been done already and all that is available is what is horded in their warehouses) even NOS parts will stay about new retail.

Not to discourage you, but I have been down this road before, I'm afraid.  Kohler likes to do us like this.  They hope we will go out and replace our nice K91 that you can't get parts for with a Courage... like any of us are THAT dumb...

I will see if any of my contacts have them and want to dispose of them for a good price.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted