• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, you don't want to "by-pass" a limit switch.....That is a safety device, and we all know about those!!!

yes by all means lets by pass the safety switch. Really?? we shouldn't even be talking about doing something like that on here.

• farmer john said thank you

#17 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:38 AM

" NEVER EVER BYPASS A SAFETY SWITCH " .What you need to do is find the owners manual for the furnace you have. In it it should tell you all the information you need to see if the " limit" switch is the right one. Now there are in most furnaces, a couple different limits. A high limit and and burner limit. Both of these limits are for safety and should not be changed to another temperature. They prevent the furnace from overheating and possibly causing a fire. You can look up the furnace on line but you need the complete model and serial number. Once you find it you can see what the limit switch should be. I've been out of this for about 6 years now and things may have changed but I never heard of putting a shield around a limit. Next is look at the filters, filters need to be clean ! if they are not they will greatly reduce the efficiency and operation of the furnace. You don't say what the efficiency of the furnace is. If it is high efficiency furnace it has a secondary heat exchanger in it . If the filters haven't been cleaned or replaced or have been taken out completely there might be a " blanket " of dust and lint on the secondary htexch. . Techs are sometimes nowadays more of parts changers rather than actual repairmen as they were long ago. "Not bashing anyone just stating facts". I just had this conversation a few weeks ago with a nephew of mine who works for one of the largest furnace manufacturers in the country as afield service rep.. When my dad had his own HVAC business all of us kids worked for him, including my sisters. He would not allow you to just change parts. You would have to diagnose the problem and then fix it.  JM2CW on this but I think you need to look a little further and see if there has been some parts changed on your furnace and have not been replaced with the proper ones.   Good luck. Hope it stays running for you.                                                                                    Roger.

http://www.luxaire.com/

Edited by hamman, January 10, 2015 - 11:43 AM.

• Lauber1, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#18 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 12:26 PM

crap... had a post 90% done and power in my house went out for about 20 seconds... so I gotta start over.

I have had some issues with my Rheem 100K counterflow (downdraft)  over the years that I have always been able to fix with at worst a phone call. I have a neighbor whose brother is an HVAC guy. He has walked me thru "what to look for" over the phone a couple of times but usually I can pretty well figure out what is wrong for myself. The most common issue I have had has been the ignitor every couple of years,  and the flame sensor that needs cleaned off every so often.

but especially in the last couple of years HVAC repair has been a real nightmare for me. I have a real sore spot and I'll tell you why.
Like I said I can usually figure out what is wrong pretty well myself. but when I call for parts I am told "we cannot sell you parts. Are you a licensed HVAC guy?"  If not we MUST schedule a service call, WE must install the parts".  I dont like to bother my neighbor's brother when all I need is a part here or there, this time of year he's swamped. So I go to the counter and try to buy what I need and get this kind of response. They claim that nobody can screw in a new board or draft motor besides them, that I couldn't possibly do anything but blow my house up if I did the job.
This has gotten much worse in the last couple years. Even places that I used to be able to walk in any time I needed parts are now refusing to sell them over the counter to anyone who is not a "HVAC Pro"...

Last year I had furnace trouble twice that was beyond the ignitor or dirty sensor. The 1st time, my control board died. I work 40 some miles from home, and  pass several HVAC shops and a warehouse on my way home. I called a few  that were on my way and got a universal answer; "Yes we have that part, when can we schedule an appointment to come install it"

No, I just want the part"   "What is your State license number?  "what" I do not have one"   Well then sorry, we cannot sell it to you".

WHAT??  I figured out a work a round so we could have heat for a couple days and wound up turning to Ebay for my furnace board.

The 2nd time was my draft inducer motor, it had squealed earlier in the season, I pulled it out and lubed the motor bushings after which it worked quietly for a couple months.. When it again started making noise  went looking for a replacement. Again I had no choice but Ebay as places that I was formerly able to buy parts now refused me. The ONE place that offered to help, wanted to sell me a USED part for $225 and claimed that was 1/2 the price of new, and of course being used, could not guarantee it. I got just what I needed from Ebay within 2 days for less than $150 brand new. I installed it, it still works, my home is still standing.

I am and have been an auto mechanic for a living since 1985. I know how to use a multi meter. and how to read wiring diagrams. A multi meter does not care if it is probed to a limit switch or a fuel pump relay the meter will work the same. but these places do not care.  They are out to "protect" the public from itself and its industry from "lost service call sales"  All of us who are not HVAC Pro's for a living are idiots that "cannot possibly" have a clue as to how a furnace works.

Well let me put this out there. A very important part of my job involves dealing with auto parts counter people. I sold parts myself for a while as a second job about 20 years ago.

At NO TIME in my 30 years of working on cars have I ever been asked if I had any qualifications to buy parts. When I sold parts I was always being told what my "average ticket" should be and add ons to increase that. NEVER was I told that I should refuse to sell any parts to anyone for any reason. I typically ran into 2 types of customers;  either "Yeah I know what I need, I have been fixing cars longer than you have been alive"   or else I found myself playing "shop teacher" doing things like assembling all the springs to a set of shoes on the counter and pointing out "primary" and "secondary" brake shoes to someone that obviously had no business working on a set of brakes...

I know a couple of very knowledgeable "mechanics" that I would not trust to put air in my 2 wheeled hand truck/ let alone to do anything to my Dakota... but if I had the parts they were after, I was directed to sell and then ask if they could use hand cleaner or brake fluid or brake clean spray so they spent more. all the while never asking if they were "qualified" to put those parts on, or even to know if the parts they were buying, would really fix their issue.

Now I had no control over whether they put their disc pads on metal side-to-rotor, or clean and lube their slide pins or the "ways" in the caliper bracket where the pads would ride... or whether they put the "small" (primary) shoe to the back, or adjusted their star wheel for a decent pedal  but when they "fix" their car and then hit someone because they didn't do it right  I have never heard of Joe Customer suing Auto Zone because the job wasn't done right and caused a bad wreck; as a mechanic I do not have to be "licensed" to do anything.

but that is exactly the picture that HVAC companies paint in refusing to sell parts that they themselves don't install.... why is that?   all that I know, is that it ticks me off....

Edited by dodge trucker, January 10, 2015 - 12:33 PM.

• olcowhand, TheFarm2004, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#19 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 04:01 PM

First, check with the manufacturer for the correct limit switch value.  Check for anything that could restrict airflow in your system, including closed vents and clogged filters.  I am somewhat concerned at this point that you have a crack in the combustion chamber.  Make sure you have a CO detector in your home.  Crack in the combustion chamber can cause all kinds of freaky things to occur, including putting out pilot flames and setting off high limit switches.

Edited by HowardsMF155, January 10, 2015 - 04:03 PM.

• farmer john said thank you

#20 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 04:02 PM

hi all again, well we got that sorted out, the last tech put a 160f high limit in instead of the 200f the furnace requires, apparently 99% of the furnaces will run on a 160f, my friend called in a favour and his tech buddy came over, brought the spec sheet for my furnace, he did not have a limit switch that high and will try to get one Monday, he checked over my furnace, all operating as it should but the high limit, but during records you either jump it or freeze your pipes, as he said your furnace is fine and the limit was not kicking out because of a problem , just because it was too low a setting for that furnace, if the first guy had done his job right I would not be dealing with this now, what ever happened to taking pride in your work. I turn down jobs because people want me to cut corners, or they want to tell me how to do it, I tell them to do it themselves since they know it all. thanks all john

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#21 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 04:40 PM

to bad we couldn't get a tractor post to generate this kind of response ????

• JDBrian said thank you

#22 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:48 PM

gotta keep the heat on my tractors are getting cold

• Lauber1 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#23 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:57 PM

I didn't read everyone's reply but did you check your duct work? No dampers closed in your duct work? Filters clean? Anything that could be holding heat?

Did anyone check out the burn box to make sure no cracking?

I also had a similar ordeal with people from furnace repair shops with my last house. It was an old natural gas units. It was old but worked great. Pilot light wouldn't light after I shut the gas down to plumb in my new water heater. 2 people told me it was junk and needed a new one installed. Called a buddy that used to do heating installs and service for one of the companies that came out and looked at it. He came over and installed a new thermocouple and made a few adjustments. Ran like a top for 5 years when I sold the house. His price was a 6 pack of beer. He also told me that it is common practice to just sell new units because of the liability of fixing an old unit.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 10, 2015 - 09:59 PM.