• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 07:38 AM

hi guys, I have a small but frustrating problem, the furnace on our rental went out between Christmas and new years, called the repair guy and all he wanted to do was change the furnace, looked at it with his flash light and restarted the pilot light. cost me $145. the next day it was out again called another guy he only charge me $70 and told me it was an old furnace and needed replacing but didn't even restart it. I googled what the issues were and found out it was a thermocoupler issue, 5 min job and $3.99 part from home depot. all is well now and the furnace is humming away beautifully. now my problem is the only techs in my area I have no confidence in, both wanted to sell me $3500.00 furnaces instead of installing a 4 dollar part. my furnace in my house gave me issues last year and is starting again with the high limit kicking out, flashing 4. replaced the high limit switch and it runs all day at 70 but if I try to crank it to 74 it will trip, its a luxair furnace about 15 years old, now somewhere I saw where these did have an issue and the fix was to put a small guard or deflector beside the limit switch to offset direct heat. any thoughts or suggestions thanks john I just had another thought, since the tech changed out the high-low limits last year I have had this problem the furnace is a biggie 140,000 btu , the high-low limits are 160-30 could this be too low a limit for such a big furnace?

Edited by farmer john, January 10, 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 07:44 AM

Contact Luxair, and explain the $4 part ordeal to them, and ask if they have

anyone in Hamilton that they are willing to put their name behind, to fix their

product.

• MH81, Lauber1, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:35 AM

Contact Luxair, and explain the $4 part ordeal to them, and ask if they have

anyone in Hamilton that they are willing to put their name behind, to fix their

product.

Will is right, that's the way to do it.  Most contractors can't and won't risk their manufacturer contracts, so get that power behind you!

The "can't fix it, must replace it" guys drive me nuts.  I hope no one treats them the same way when they need their service truck fixed.

Ben W.

• MH81 said thank you

#4 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:42 AM

I did industrial heating for years and this is just my thought. See if he installed the correct upper limit. It could have gone bad. Seems to me if you place a heat deflector then that wouldn't be much difference than jumping it out. The above answer seems to me as the correct answer.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Absolutely contact luxair.  If not for a decent contact, for the pros and cons of doing what you think might be the answer.

A lotof mfg will come up witha retrofit kit on stuff like this and only provide it to customers who are having a problem.

seems odd that it didnt do it for the first 13 years and suddenly is... Any chance there is something failing (heat deflector, fan, etc) that is causing the issue.

BTW, check to see if there is supposed to be standoffs under the limit mount bolts that might not have gotten installed.  Maytag used the same limits in their dryers that everyone else did, but with standoffs to move it away 1/4"

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:03 AM

I'm no help on this one, but at 15 years old, I would have thought it would be "glow bar" ignition.  I figured pilot lights had been gone before that.

• superaben said thank you

#7 tyler OFFLINE  

tyler

Tractorholic

• Member No: 437
  • 55 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:04 AM

I know nothing about fixing furnaces, but i just put a new furnace in my house in November by myself and it was a piece of cake. My neighbour is a HVAC guy and I got everything at cost. All said and done $1700 Canadain.  My old furnace was 20 years old and the new one is 100 times better. I just got my bill and it was $89 bucks, that's cut in half.  So in the long run your better off to get a new furnace, and it will pay for it self.

#8 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:15 AM

If possible you need to run a static pressure check on the furnace and check the heat rise. on the sticker inside the furnace or in the manual it will tell you what the temp rise should be, usually in the 40 to 60 degree range.

For static pressure you need a manometer, for the temp rise an inexpensive thermometer is all you need .

I suspect that you have a build up of dust on the blower,secondary heat exchanger or cooling a coil.

The other possibility is the blower motor may have worn bearing in it or the run capacitor could be going bad.

Also make sure all registers are open and the air filter is in good shape maybe use a lower merv filter.

I don't know what model of furnace you have but most luxaire's use a 160 degree limit switch.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:24 AM

What type of a blower do you have on your furnace? If its belt driven, check and make sure the belt is tight. If you are kicking out on the high limit maybe the heat isn't being removed fast enough. I put a new fan motor on my furnace this year. It was 50 rpm less than the original. I've noticed it making a difference in the furnace wanting to kick out on the high limit. i'll probably have to change pulleys to make up the difference.

#10 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:40 AM

My HVAC unit is probably 20 years old, and still works well, and my HVAC guy will tell me it is a thermocoupler over the phone!

He has made several trips here over the years, and has always been "reasonable".

I will use him again when replacement is necessary.  Oh, my unit is a "YORK" brand with a "zone" set-up. 1 unit for a 2 story home.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:45 AM

my unit is a "YORK" brand with a "zone" set-up. 1 unit for a 2 story home.

I installed my own, and it is also a York brand.  I do my own repairs too, but I don't feel comfortable giving service advice.  My York has been fantastic.  Over the years I've had to put in a new inducer fan, one light stick, and the control board twice, one got zapped in a storm.

#12 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:46 AM

i called a friends buddy who has his gas ticket, he says 160f is too low for a 140,000 btu furnace, the last one installed was probably all the guy had on his truck, i should have one 190-200f, to sort it out i jumped the limit and the furnace is purring like a kitten and the house is up to 72 and cycling as it should, now to find a limit on sat, wish me luck thanks john

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:50 AM

Yeah, you don't want to "by-pass" a limit switch.....That is a safety device, and we all know about those!!!

• Lauber1 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 10:08 AM

Sounds like you are.one step.closer to getting it sorted.out. :thumbs:

i called a friends buddy who has his gas ticket, he says 160f is too low for a 140,000 btu furnace, the last one installed was probably all the guy had on his truck, i should have one 190-200f, to sort it out i jumped the limit and the furnace is purring like a kitten and the house is up to 72 and cycling as it should, now to find a limit on sat, wish me luck thanks john

Be sure to check with the company to verify that a bigger one is the way to go.

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 10:29 AM

Will is right, that's the way to do it.  Most contractors can't and won't risk their manufacturer contracts, so get that power behind you!

The "can't fix it, must replace it" guys drive me nuts.  I hope no one treats them the same way when they need their service truck fixed.

Ben W.

Two observations.

1.The cost for a service tech to diagnose a problem and fix it could be large with the high possability that something else will go wrong with it very soon(for which they are usually blamed). A new furnace is less headahces and liability for the tech. It may be that at 15 years there are safety issues with possible leaks too.

2. Years ago I fought with a very slipshod contractors' foreman on a big job. He was lazy and sloppy in his work. One time I had to scream at him for "boiling the concrete" with the vibrater. This damages the strength of the concrete and even his union rep wouldn't defend him. A few weeks later he went to the local Ford dealer(notorius) for a repair of his truck. They did something wrong and that caused alot more damage when he drove it home. I was known as a knowledgable mechanic and he asked me if someone that does poor work should have to make good on it. I bit my tongue and thought "karma".

Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 10, 2015 - 10:30 AM.

• HowardsMF155 and superaben have said thanks